JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In all seriousness my dad had a laser on a couple of his guns including his shockwave. He could use/aim the laser from his wheelchair. In that instance, I fully supported and understood the laser. But for people with full mobility I think its a gimmick. I've seen members at our range target practicing with them and they chase the bouncing dot all over the place instead of using normal shooting skills. It really makes them a worse shot.
It can be a good training tool for those with or without good mobility.

Newbs, or those that don't shoot a lot especially .

If you see the dot wondering, you're gripping wrong. You can even see the dot pull left or right, if your eyes are young enough, as you pull the trigger.

Id challenge you to get a grip activated one for your carry gun if your holster would allow. Practice first shot on target with and without the laser against a shot timer. I bet you'd improve. Then once you're good, take it off and see if you stay the same or get slower. It will help you if you let it.

For those with mobility issues, it is their aiming device.

For those without, I believe it's a great tool to help illustrate where one might need more practice. That or used in correlation with known skills to assist in being faster.

I do agree, they are no means to aim for those that can properly learn good shooting skills as a stand alone aiming device.

Id challenge you to get a grip activated one for your carry gun if your holster would allow. Practice first shot on target with and without the laser against a shot timer. I bet you'd improve. Then once you're good, take it off and see if you stay the same or get slower. It will help you if you let it.

I do agree, they are no means to aim for those that can properly learn good shooting skills as a stand alone aiming device.
I carry a G45, not going to be mounting a laser to it.

And yes! People need to learn to shoot BEFORE relying on a laser. The problem is all the tacticool operator gun counter people are quick to suggest and push people to buy a laser with their first gun because "all you have to do is put the dot on the target and pull the trigger". Dumb advice.

This gentlemen may have survived, if he had been armed with a pistol mounted laser.
Austin Powers Shark GIF by reactionseditor

If the laser is properly calibrated and the shooter knows how to properly press the trigger it is very accurate advice.
And if the laser fails to operate? What if it gets bumped/dropped and is no longer calibrated? Batteries are an easily forgotten item that can fail at just the wrong time. IMO a laser will never replace traditional sights and traditional shooting techniques.

And the advice I think is dumb is to start off with a laser knowing virtually nothing else about shooting. It's pushed often at the gun counters.

And if the laser fails to operate? What if it gets bumped/dropped and is no longer calibrated? Batteries are an easily forgotten item that can fail at just the wrong time. IMO a laser will never replace traditional sights and traditional shooting techniques.

And the advice I think is dumb is to start off with a laser knowing virtually nothing else about shooting. It's pushed often at the gun counters.
And I will not disagree with a single thing that you said. One must first know how to run the gun with irons, then learn to use the laser. That way, given a failure of the laser (or a red dot?) one can fall back on the irons.

It's just another sighting system. Yes, it takes practice. No, they're not perfect. Useful to me. Irons are primary, front sight focus has been proven effective. I have lasers for those possibilities that may prevent me from getting the weapon in line with my face.

But just like irons they take practice. I see a lot of comments about the "dot" bouncing around, it does. Attatched to your gun, it shows you what your irons are doing. If the dot is "bouncing around" your irons are too.

Unless you can afford the ammo expense, a laser is an unbeatable tool for "point" shooting practice.

Mine have served me well. I resisted them for years but have learned to appreciate the real benefits they bring. There are many.

I would venture as far as to say that they would be far more common on SD pistols had the RMR's not come along when they did.

What is the point of 'em...?
I would suppose that some folks use 'em as a sighting / aiming aid.
I don't ...but then a laser sight on a 1851 Navy would be silly....:D

If someone does...and it works for them....then great.
If you ( the OP ) don't see the point of 'em...then great again.

Does it really affect how you do things or what you do...?
Andy

Does it really affect how you do things or what you do...?
Andy
Not at all.

I also said "I'm guessing there is a practical piece to it. Just curious everyone's thought. Would like to be educated if I'm missing something." And since posing the question, I've learned a few things. Beneficial as a training aid and helpful to folks with physical hurdles.

It's pushed often at the gun counters.
I witnessed this a lot when I worked at Sportsmans. I always tried to push ammo and practice. It was a high dollar add on and they promoted that. Lots of marketing involved with lasers for sure.

In all seriousness my dad had a laser on a couple of his guns including his shockwave. He could use/aim the laser from his wheelchair. In that instance, I fully supported and understood the laser. But for people with full mobility I think its a gimmick. I've seen members at our range target practicing with them and they chase the bouncing dot all over the place instead of using normal shooting skills. It really makes them a worse shot.
I can pick out a green laser much quicker than the red. Probably most people are the opposite. But unless it was a clean background, it took me longer to find the laser than using my sights. Also, not using my own pistol, but in one case a CZ Phantom, made the whole thing easy. Laser or not.

I would venture as far as to say that they would be far more common on SD pistols had the RMR's not come along when they did.
Good point. A red dot mounted to a pistol is not much different than a laser. You have to re-train for it as you would a laser mounted on the frame rail. It does essentially the same thing without the "hey look over here at this bright light coming off my gun" problem. Some less expensive or non-coated red dots still emit light from the front though so still not perfect.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top