JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SO, The EPA has issued finding that E-85 and other alcohol fuel blends for all public use is BAD! They have banned the sale and use of such fuels due to increased emissions, poor fuel economy, and increased fuel system maintenance and repair costs and frequency. SO...........Why are the States still mandating the use of this fuel blend? I cannot find any mandate that the feds state as a final date for use! Any one know what's going on?

I can't answer that, but I filled up the *cough* Subaru with non ethanol premium the other day and it ran noticably better.

That sucks, you can get more power with e85. Great for turbo cars.
And any alcohol content beyond 10% causes considerably more corrosion in the fuel systems most of cars built before 2012, and all cars built before about 2005.
And without a turbo, it offers noticeably less power.
Ethyl alcohol has problems vaporizing in winter, and cold startups kill engines in no time.

I brought this to peoples minds because I have suffered three total loss engine failures due to this! I have to "rebuild" the carb on my truck every 4 to 6 months and change fuel filters every 3 months. I have burned up three fuel pumps and had to replace the fuel lines twice this year alone!!! If you can get away with it ( Or not get caught) run non blended fuel when ever you can!

I brought this to peoples minds because I have suffered three total loss engine failures due to this! I have to "rebuild" the carb on my truck every 4 to 6 months and change fuel filters every 3 months. I have burned up three fuel pumps and had to replace the fuel lines twice this year alone!!! If you can get away with it ( Or not get caught) run non blended fuel when ever you can!

I have Water/ Meth. injection on my rigs now, with the loss of power at the altitude I live at, it was a very welcome addition. My Diesel was the one hit hardest, and was also the one that really gained the most with this addition!

Bad news for Subaru performance guys.

E-85 burns cooler and requires more fuel to get more power and you can shove a lot into a combustion chamber. Regular injectors get modified, opened up and then you are ready for POWA!

So tell me again why all that corn goes to make alcohol when it takes more to produce that it makes?

Subsidies folks, subsidies.

Bad news for Subaru performance guys.

E-85 burns cooler and requires more fuel to get more power and you can shove a lot into a combustion chamber. Regular injectors get modified, opened up and then you are ready for POWA!

So tell me again why all that corn goes to make alcohol when it takes more to produce that it makes?

Subsidies folks, subsidies.
yeah, we run a 75% mix of non ethanol 110 / 25% non ethanol premium in the rally cross subaru my buddy and i built. its his car, i helped him put it together. its just about EVERYTHING from a 95 STI in a 95 impreza coupe body. By just about everything i mean engine, computer, 6spd tranny, LSD rear end, center diff controller, seats, axles, suspension(he might have different coilovers or atleast forrester springs on it now),carpet,wiring harness(we had to convert it to work with left hand drive), lights, wheels were imported... had it dyno'd at 380 HP to the wheels. that freakin car rips on the dirt with the 4.11 rear matched with the 6spd.

smells great with that race fuel too.

E85 or methanol is way better burning and less toxic to the environment. This has everything to do with money and politics.

Yes cars that aren't suited for it aren't the greatest to use it. However manufacturers were actually caught down tuning cars computers to run sluggish on e85 to help out the others guys, cough, oil.

Look into it more. You will realize the oil industry is a corrupt mama jama.

E85 or methanol is way better burning and less toxic to the environment. This has everything to do with money and politics.

Yes cars that aren't suited for it aren't the greatest to use it. However manufacturers were actually caught down tuning cars computers to run sluggish on e85 to help out the others guys, cough, oil.

Look into it more. You will realize the oil industry is a corrupt mama jama.

Consider the E-85..... 85..... not 91.... has less energy to start.

If you are going to run e85 you have to have the compression to take advantage of it, but of course you will get worse mpg. The reason hot rod guy's use it is because it is cheaper than race fuel nowadays. You do have to watch for water gathering in the fuel and the corrosion associated with it because alcohol is hygroscopic ( absorbs water out of the atmosphere). There are some good additives nowadays that help with this though.

i believe e85 has a higher octane rating than 91 octane. the 85 means 85% ethanol. e85 has more energy than that of premium pump gas. iirc e85 has an octane rating of 94-96.
Right.. It's been too long since I was in the tuner(z) realm. Higher, requires more compression, burns cooler but due to pumping more in for better power your "mpg" is decreased.

Wore out from vacation so far and brain isn't operating on all cylinders.

Right.. It's been too long since I was in the tuner(z) realm. Higher, requires more compression, burns cooler but due to pumping more in for better power your "mpg" is decreased.

Wore out from vacation so far and brain isn't operating on all cylinders.
oh, i thought u just were hangin out with @Joe13 in the couve and you were having one of his said "crazy posts";);):D:rolleyes:

Yep, Old post

If I could find E-85 within 75 miles of here I'd be on it like a hobo on a hot dog. I'd set the old 540 BBC in the Camaro up with 14:1 compression, massage the carb a bit and I'd be good friends with the gas station owner. No such luck. I dont know when the last time I saw E-85 was. ....

And no, they didnt ban it.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR