JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I rotate between my S&W 640 and the Ruger LCR.

Feel and functionality of the LCR are great. Looks and feel of the 640 are dreamy.

One's for cookin........one's for lookin.

LCR & 640.JPG

Well, here i am digging up my old thread....

Still looking, but i've narrowed down what i want this gun for i think.

1) Carry isn't something i'm considering for this gun anymore, if i can, sure, but not a consideration.

2) I'd prefer blued, but only for the weak reason that my other wheel gun is stainless.

3) I kinda want a hammered version of whatever.

4) I don't mind a .357 capable machine, but i want it for .38

So far, the LCRx looks like a pretty good option, fair price, not the best looks, but nothing really wrong with it.

I have a Charter arms undercover .38 and a Ruger service six also in .38
The undercover gets packed around most often because it's small and very easy to conceal plus it's not a pretty gun that I'm afraid will get scuffed up. My service six on the other hand rarely gets packed because it is a blued liberty marked edition in excellent condition and I just don't want to mess it up. I've looked at the LCR's but damn their ugly and I guess I'm old school because I don't like plastic guns. But I kinda still want one maybe in 9mm? :p

K frame... SW 15/67 for range, SW 10/64 for carry. I've owned 3 snubbies in my life and can't reliably hit a 10" gong at 30ft with them. The 4" barrels can bounce shotgun hulls all day long at 25yds. Reloading is the way to go, but if you use plated bullets, be sure to use max load data... I've had two squibs with the last one going unrecognized and ruining a barrel. Expensive mistake.

This is a little outside of the box, but my late friend, Mark was the best shot with snubbies that I've ever seen. And, he had a lot of them! He always carried a Colt Detective Special, often two of them! He could shoot with both hands, and very well.
I'm well aware that a decent Colt is costing big dollars, but one thought on that, six shooter!:cool:

So it's pretty much going to be what i can buy new, availability and price with my inexperience in checking used revolvers mean that a lot of the classic suggestions aren't viable choices for me right now.

I agree with the looks side, S&W's 'new' classic line is cool, but i just want a fun, short 38 as it's not so fun to shoot 38's through my 6 inch GP100.

I know its been said before on this thread, but the Smith and Wesson 36 is great! My dad has 2 of them, and I've been able to shoot them fairly often. Now that they are being re-issued I think you can find a new one for under $500 - a quick gunbroker search turned up a bunch of new ones in the 400 range, and used for much cheaper than that. They are small, fun to shoot, and gorsh do they shore look purdy. I agree with you that shooting 38 through the gp100 is kind of not so exciting...
That gun is perfectly suited for full throttle heavy magnum loads - I found even 38+P to be underwhelming. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Ahh, yes, i think i did stumble across the M36, and it ticks all the boxes :)

Though i'd love to see where you saw them in the 400 range!!!

Buds has one for $590 (interestingly, they also show one in nickel with no lock, but can't see one in blue with no lock. Still more odd, Smiths site doesn't show it available in nickel)

43737_1.jpg 43736_1.jpg

I have a Charter arms undercover .38 and a Ruger service six also in .38
The undercover gets packed around most often because it's small and very easy to conceal plus it's not a pretty gun that I'm afraid will get scuffed up. My service six on the other hand rarely gets packed because it is a blued liberty marked edition in excellent condition and I just don't want to mess it up. I've looked at the LCR's but damn their ugly and I guess I'm old school because I don't like plastic guns. :p
For years my favorite .38 snub carry gun was also the Charter Undercover. It works well, conceals easier than a Smith or a Ruger, and I don't get all weepy if it gets a scratch, spot of rust, or attracts a bunch of lint. My Smith Model 10 snubby is heavier, easier to shoot and has 20% more bullets. However, it is very very pretty - hence I'm reluctant to use it as working carry gun. I then came across a Taurus 856. All steel 6-shot snub that is smaller and lighter than the Model 10. I love it as an OWB CCW gun.

I recently bought a Ruger LCR 38 special and it has become my go-to pocket carry piece. A bit larger than the Charter, smaller than the Taurus, but much lighter with a superb double action trigger. Now if I can only find some smooth wood grips so it will draw easier.

Last Edited:
I went with the S&W 637 over the LCRx. 1.5 oz heavier but, all metal construction. Oh and don't forget $100 cheaper. Can't beat Smith quality in revolvers.

Available in blued??

Also, am i missing something on this page?
<broken link removed>

Cannot see the model 10 with anything other than a 4 inch barrel, and at the top of the page, there are two guns pictured and labelled, one of them isn't on the page to see or buy...

For years my favorite .38 snub carry gun was also the Charter Undercover. It works well, conceals easier than a Smith or a Ruger, and I don't get all weepy if it gets a scratch, spot of rust, or attracts a bunch of lint. My Smith Model 10 snubby is heavier, easier to shoot and has 20% more bullets. However, it is very very pretty - hence I'm reluctant to use it as working carry gun. I then came across a Taurus 856. All steel 6-shot snub that is smaller and lighter than the Model 10. I love it as an OWB CCW gun.

I recently bought a Ruger LCR 38 special and it has become my go-to pocket carry piece. A bit larger than the Charter, smaller than the Taurus, but much lighter with a superb double action trigger. Now if I can only find some smooth wood grips so it will draw easier.

I thought I wanted a longer grip than the Houge 'Saver' boot grip on my 327 Federal LCR (six shooter) so I bought Houge's Piranha grip, a solid grip that really punished me with 327 Magnum loads. Then I got the longer saver grip of the LCRx, way better. 38 +P would be nearly as bad as 327

I also have a bobbed hammer 637

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads