JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And i'm pretty much talking new here, for some reason, i'm interested in a nice alternative carry gun :cool:

Briefly been looking at the S&W bodyguard with the CT laser, but the laser is almost pointless with the activation being impossible to activate with the right hand.

Any thoughts?

The S&W 442/642/637/638 series revolvers are hard to beat. They're +P rated, light, concealable, have decent triggers, and always work. That said, my personal favorite .38 Special is still my S&W Model 36 (no dash) original Chief's Special. Still shoots like a dream and is as pretty as the day it was made.

Yeah, the price of the original chiefs/detectives etc. are somewhat prohibitive to me, if only because i can get a new one of those models you mentioned for less. Still love the origs though :)

I don't really like S&W's website so much, their catalogue isn't much better; knowing what's in their pro line, what each model has because of that etc? not clear or consistent :(

I love the trigger on the bodyguard with the CT, but some of the other airweights i tried (don't know which models) had really heavy or poor triggers, nothing like the bodyguard.

Hmm, seems the LCR is pretty popular, looks like a good option. There goes my slim chance to add a Smith to the stable ;)

I'll have to go and try out the trigger. Remarkably, the price matches the Smiths in that class.

Don't get me wrong. I had an LCR .357 that was great. But I found it harder to conceal than the Smiths and that was why I prefer them. Nothing wrong with the Ruger. Excellent trigger right out of the box on most of them.

Same size, same price I believe but don't quote me. Just a little heavier than the .38 which helps a bit with +P 38's and .357 magnums which I don't much care for out of this light of a revolver. But the .38+P's I have no problem with.

The .357 LCR has a fully steel monolithic frame supporting the barrel and cylinder whereas the other versions have an aircraft grade aluminum frame. The size is the same, but the steel frame makes it about three ounces heavier than the .38 +P version (16.6 oz vs 13.5oz). MSRP for the .357 is about $60 more, but what you actually end up paying for the .357 is only slightly more. I had both versions and really didn't notice the 3 oz difference in terms of carrying it, but it did help manage recoil when shooting .38 +P in the .357 version vs the regular .38 +P one. Lots of great upgrades available as well. I installed the XS Big Dot sight on my .357 and it made a world of difference in bringing it on target quickly. Tons of holster options as well. Good luck with whatever you get. The LCRs are really a well designed package.

Tried out the 642 again tonight, trigger is certainly heavier than the Bodyguard, but it was still pretty smooth.

I have a great S&W 637 in .38 and it can handle +P but I use regular .38 ammo (Well the 'Pink' Hornaday stuff)
I have a Taurus 605 in .357 but I use Winchester White Box .38 in it
I have a Ruger LCR .38 coming any day now and it will use regular strength .38.

You do get more Ooph from a .38 +P or .357, but because of the short barrel length the biggest part of that extra is going to be flash, noise, and muzzle flip. Three things I don't really care for so I stay with 'normal' ammo.

Go with a .35mag.

The ballistics are about twice the .38sp.

If it's too much recoil, toss .38sp+p's in there till your comfortable - or worst case, you have a much better made gun then any .38sp (based on being built to handle the pop of a .357).

Granted they are a bit heavier...

I've either got them all, or have had them all, and I've been carrying the LCRx more than any other.

It's extremely light, and shoots surprisingly well. We talk of being +P rated...Most .38 revolvers are now approved such, but over the years, +P has been de-rated a bit, and are not the fire breathers that they used to be. The sky is the limit on self protection loads, and are far superior to .38 Spl loads our Granddads might have shot.

And just for arguments sake, I am also pretty partial to my SP-101's.:) A bit heavier, and a bit bigger, but in the handgun world there is no free ride. Bigger and heavier makes it nicer to shoot.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads