JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi! I found the forum while looking for outdoor shooting spots in Northwest Washington, and found an apparently popular gravel pit just north of Highway 20 (a bit east of Sedro Woolley -- the one past the "cowboy camp" sign). Thanks for that.

I was a bit surprised at the amount of garbage out there, though. That can't bode well for keeping the spot open. We packed out our own trash and just a bit extra, but I would like to bring some bags and pick up substantially more next time I head up there.

Trouble is, I don't know what to do with the trash afterward. My residential service is barely adequate for our household trash, and I don't live where I can burn, so coming home with giant yard bags of
other people's garbage just isn't an option.

Has anyone found a good solution to that problem? Next step will probably be to contact DNR, but I figure since some people on here already shoot out there that maybe someone would know of a legal place to dump in the vicinity.

I have contacted a National Forest, DNR offices and even a campground before. I informed them that I cleaned up an area and they were ok with me dumping them in their dumpster.

Last Edited:
....Next step will probably be to contact DNR, but I figure since some people on here already shoot out there that maybe someone would know of a legal place to dump in the vicinity.

I sent you a private message with my DNR contact. I haven't asked her if I could post her email on the public forum here, yet, but when she's back in the office, I'll see if that's okay. She's very helpful and will send you in the right direction.

Glad you are doing something about!

Bill

Here in this part of Oregon we have what are referred to as Transfer stations. Where trash is collected from the public condensed and then hauled off in containers to trash burners or for the wood waste a composter. There are also numerous private and county dumps where trash can be dumped. Granted at virtually all of these there will be a fee.

It also hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but if you clean up three garbage bags worth of trash at a public shooting site, take a picture and post it you can get a free Bronze Membership.

Regarding the trash, someone here has successfully organized a clean up at Larch Mountain in Washington and I believe they are getting support from the DNR, who is providing trash removal. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

We go up to the NFS land to shoot and if it is the wet season we just start a fire before we start shooting
Keep it AWAY from everything else and under control.Just pile it and start a fire away from the pile,adding stuff as you go.
Then a half hour before you leave,tear it down so it burns out.
Yeah we spend a lot of time up there,lol

The last time I cleaned up a dump area in the NF we just contacted the USFS and they told us the nearest dumpster to use. Very easy and they were extremely happy we were cleaning up the area.

I still use the machete that I found during that cleanup, just got back from Galapagos where we used it for cutting trail through the jungle.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top