JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure where I said all my adventures are in my truck,
Well your mention of 'a truck full of tools and spare parts' indicated to me you were carrying more stuff than would be practical (or even necessary) for deep woods backpacking, which IF you have ever done you would understand.

I have done much backpacking and given the probability of shooting while backpacking (which is very low) I believe a good, functional gun one is confident with, and is proficient with is, all that is necessary.

See my attached pic - do you think a 'truck full' of 'tools and spare parts' would be practical (or even a possibility) under this type of experience?

This was a long time ago but I remember it was about 5 miles into the woods beyond any road or trail.

I wish people would get over their irrational fears of cougars, bears, etc. and throw on a backpack and go spend a couple nights out out in the woods and they might have a better understanding of 'the woods' than just reading about it and what 'gun' they fantasize about needing for 'woods defense'.

BP.jpg

Last Edited:
For day hikes well away from anyone I like to open carry one of my Ruger revolvers or my 629. For something light weight and concealed my go to is my 2.0 40 Shield.

Well your mention of 'a truck full of tools and spare parts' indicated to me you were carrying more stuff than would be practical (or even necessary) for deep woods backpacking, which IF you have ever done you would understand.

I have done much backpacking and given the probability of shooting while backpacking (which is very low) I believe a good, functional gun one is confident with, and is proficient with is, all that is necessary.

See my attached pic - do you think a 'truck full' of 'tools and spare parts' would be practical (or even a possibility) under this type of experience?

This was a long time ago but I remember it was about 5 miles into the woods beyond any road or trail.

View attachment 753705
I think asking clarifying questions is a great way to start. Like:
Do I have in-truck organizing drawers that allow me to carry a toolbox, parts, and my camping gear?
Do I have a truck big enough to carry all the gear I want?
Is my gear different from the gear you used "a long time ago"?
Do I have ultra compact camping gear that allows me to have extra space should my 200k mile, double locked truck have a problem with a known faulty part?
Do I multi-day backpack without first driving deep into the woods?
Do I drive deep into the woods without multi-day backpacking?
I'm sure you can think of lots more fun questions on your own that, when answered, could preclude you from assuming what I never do.

But this feels like it's getting off topic regarding what the OP asks, so I'll just get reading with interest what others do or don't carry when backpacking.

Out in the woods I wouldn't carry anything less powerful than .357 magnum, preferably a .44 magnum.
The .44 has a lot of recoil compared to other cals but there is not a critter in the Pacific Northwest that it won't stop, also I tend to shoot it decently.

Make sure you carry the right ammo for wilderness defense such as a good hardcast flatpoint, you don't want jhp.(jhp is great for 2 legged defense, not good for bear defense)

My hiking/camping days are long past and I was too young to carry a pistol when I used to hike the Olympics. I always had a good knife and a hatchet. I got pretty good with the hatchet and could hit what I aimed at up to about 5 yards.

For day hikes nowadays, I carry my Ruger Security Six and even deluded myself into believing that one of these days I will carry my Redhawk with Buffalo Bore 305 grain Keith hardcast.

If I was younger and into hiking/camping again, it would be a .357 magnum revolver, or if I was feeling hardcore it would be a .44 magnum. I trust my Rugers to fire under adverse conditions and have lots of practice with both the Security Six and Redhawk.

Why ? To begin with I don't go through life paranoid or fear 'dangerous animals' - mostly because I have spent a lot of time in the deep woods and largely in part they are few and far between (in Oregon anyway) but the two most dangerous 'animals' I have always concerned myself with are DOGS and humans - and while the encounters with humans have been relatively uneventful I have dumped two dogs in my life....

I find it interesting however how so many refer to their 'woods carry' guns - only to discover how little time these people have spent, or do actually spend in the woods.

I think woods carry is fine, and with whatever you choose but to enter the woods with the notion it is some sort of apocalyptic nightmare full of lions, tigers and bears is not a good starting point.

My woods adventures have always been enlightening, educational and exciting but were never dominated by fear and apprehension.

I wish people would get over their irrational fears of cougars, bears, etc. and throw on a backpack and go spend a couple nights out out in the woods and they might have a better understanding of 'the woods' than just reading about it and what 'gun' they fantasize about needing for 'woods defense'.

You seem to be painting with a fairly broad brush and impugning people that carry something they are comfortable with. Most people I've seen in these threads are completely aware that 2-legged threats are more likely, but like to be prepared for something larger just in case. Not sure why that apparently offends you so much.

I've spent most of my life in the Idaho woods and have always carried a firearm. Never had to shoot anything or anyone, but a couple of times it was very comforting to have. I don't think I have an irrational fear of predators; just a healthy respect for them.

Out in the woods I wouldn't carry anything less powerful than .357 magnum, preferably a .44 magnum.
The .44 has a lot of recoil compared to other cals but there is not a critter in the Pacific Northwest that it won't stop, also I tend to shoot it decently.

Make sure you carry the right ammo for wilderness defense such as a good hardcast flatpoint, you don't want jhp.(jhp is great for 2 legged defense, not good for bear defense)
Buffalo Bore also makes a Dangerous Game line in several calibers. They're mono-metal bullets meant to keep their shape and straight line penetration vs hard cast which can deform

I've spent most of my life in the Idaho woods and have always carried a firearm. Never had to shoot anything or anyone, but a couple of times it was very comforting to have. I don't think I have an irrational fear of predators; just a healthy respect for them.
I did a lot of Idaho woods hiking this summer (though no backpacking). Last week, they had 3 grizzly and 1 black wolf sighting in the canyon I was frequenting. I was out one evening and walked into a clearing that was clearly the local Sizzler. 2 deer spine/rib cages, multiple moose leg bones. Your senses perk right up when you know you're standing in the dining room. I had my German Shepherd and my 10mm, but I was still hyper-aware

Last Edited:
Lately I've been carrying bear spray on the bino harness and the Glock 30s loaded with 255gr 450 Smc and a spare mag. I always have a knife or 4 and my wetterlings axe on me, but they are more for game/meal/camp/fire prep than defense.

Ive only had to use the bear spray once.

I've settled on a Ruger EC9 in 9mm. It weighs 23 oz loaded in a Bladetech IWB holster. I chose this because it's the lightest, smallest, most reliable and inexpensive 9mm handgun I could find. I think 9mm is adequate for the 2 and 4 legged predators I'd run into in the NW. What do you carry, and why?
How does that IWB holster work when you are strapped into that backpack? Can you get to your pistol when your hip belt is buckled?
Wearing a holster on my belt while backpacking didn't work for me so I went with a tanker style chest holster which allowed me to reach my pistol even with a heavy pack pulling my shoulders back.
As for what I carried in that holster a Glock 22 in .40 S&W. That was a big enough gun for whatever I would run into back in the PRK. Up here! If I ever d3cide to backpack in these woods I'll carry a Glock 20 or 40 in 10mm.

When out hiking in the woods or camping, I take the same thing I carry everyday and carry it usually in the same manner. I've practiced with it and carried it for several years now. It's the most natural for me, although some may think it a bit on the small side. It's my Ruger SP101 2.25" .357. I also carry my custom titanium scaled Swiss army knife (yea, I'm a certain kind of special). Spent hundreds of nights camping in the woods and only even seen a bear a couple of times. They certainly weren't interested in me. Always had more trouble with raccoons and deer messing with our camp supplies. Woke up to cattle walking behind our tent once.

As others have mentioned, I'm more concerned with 2 leggers, but don't go looking for trouble and so far it's been fine. If all your other tools fail you, use your brain and be resourceful. If it comes to it, be fierce and fight hard. Nothing is promised. Everyday you wake up is a gift. If your time comes, so be it. But don't roll over and just take it. I wouldn't worry particularly about it; just be prepared and aware of your surroundings.

Lately I've been carrying bear spray on the bino harness and the Glock 30s loaded with 255gr 450 Smc and a spare mag. I always have a knife or 4 and my wetterlings axe on me, but they are more for game/meal/camp/fire prep than defense.

Ive only had to use the bear spray once.
I added bear spray to my pack this summer. Not sure how much anybody trusts those crazy Mormons, but BYU did a study on bear attacks. They studied 20 years of bear encounters (either attack or rummaging for food) in Alaska where spray was used. Spray had a 92% effect halt rate. 175 people involved with only 3 injured. Firearms had a 67% effective rate. I didn't dive DEEP into the study to see if they compared calibers, accuracy, or type of bear (too many variables for me to rely solely on the results). But enough good info that I ADDED spray to my pack.

There was a story discussed here back in 2018 about a guide killed in Wyoming by a grizzly. When they caught her, which is a story in and of itself, she had an entire can of spray dispensed in her coat

Last Edited:
Depends, concealed carry or open carry.

Concealed, smaller gun with a bunch of extra mags.

Open carry well, no limits on size and a bunch of extra mags.

If it is 4 wheelin and I'm with cool people = gun people then no limits, multiple weapons, AR, shotty pistols etc.

Boxes of ammo for the anticipated blast session.

Ruger EC9 fine but buy a bunch of extra mags and bring extra ammo.

I would go open carry and larger higher capacity if possible.

View attachment 753705

My number one fear in the woods is not critters, it's people. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I've never seen a bear or cougar. Closest I've come is tracks and poop for bears, and fresh tracks of cougars in the snow that led to under a tree that I decided not to follow. And by the way, I cook where I sleep and I STILL don't have problems with wild animals. Have for 20 years.

I HAVE had run-ins with psychos in the woods, there are some strange people out there, and all of them seem to be armed. The only time I've ever pulled my weapon...(one of them, not the other time).

Most dangerous critter I've come across: an owl. It's there every time I go sleep in the woods under a tarp. Now Canada or Alaska may be a different story, but here, there is too much activity for them to bother humans in most cases.

I added bear spray to my pack this summer. Not sure how much anybody trusts those crazy Mormons, but BYU did a study on bear attacks. They studied 20 years of bear encounters (either attack or rummaging for food) in Alaska where spray was used. Spray had a 92% effect halt rate. 175 people involved with only 3 injured. Firearms had a 67% effective rate. I didn't dive DEEP into the study to see if they compared calibers, accuracy, or type of bear (too many variables for me to rely solely on the results). But enough good info that I ADDED spray to my pack.

There was a story discussed here back in 2018 about a guide killed in Wyoming by a grizzly. When they caught her, which is a story in and of itself, she had an entire can of spray dispensed in her coat

Pepper spray in the fur is useless, you have to hit the eyes and nose. I've been sprayed in training. The burning on your face is nothing. It's the eyes. So pepper spraying a bears fur is going to be about as effective as pepper spraying someones foot.

Pepper spray in the fur is useless, you have to hit the eyes and nose. I've been sprayed in training. The burning on your face is nothing. It's the eyes. So pepper spraying a bears fur is going to be about as effective as pepper spraying someones foot.
I doubt Mark was aiming for her fur... Just a guess. The point was that a judicious amount of spray was dispensed and she ran right through it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top