JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
treated my self to a quick plinkling on Sunday, popped my old SRT Arms Shadow XL can ( direct tread ), on the end of my MWS. Shot maybe 60 rounds of assorted mil surp with no strange noises or odd recoil....put on my oven mitt to check my can is tight, it's loosened maybe 1/8 turn, notice this on the end cap/edge of tube: No idea when it happened, good chance I was still putting rounds through it after it happened.

IMG_2415 2.JPG IMG_2416 2.jpg IMG_2419.jpg IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2425.JPG

It takes a good 10-12 turns to tighten up against the barrel shoulder and there's no slop once it starts going on.
It wasn't dropped or dinged and theres a sliver of copper ( circled) sticking out under the end cap, plus that bit of a crack going on there....

SRT is no more- suggestions for a fix ? weld over ?

Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like rust on the ding/gouge so it happened a while ago. Put a rod in it and see if its out of alignment. If still in alignment I would just continue use and not look back. Someone incredibly skilled with a tig and a grinder may be able to fix the crack.

Could it be from the inside? Could that be the remnant of a bullet from a misaligned silencer or a bullet deflecting off of some obstruction inside the can?

That pic with what looks like big crack makes me think it is a baffle strike and an 1/8th turn loose is enough to do it. I made the mistake of using a crush washer with my old suppressor once and got a strike on the edge of the discharge hole…derp. Nowadays I use Teflon tape on the bbl threads to make sure the can stays put.

Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like rust on the ding/gouge so it happened a while ago. Put a rod in it and see if its out of alignment. If still in alignment I would just continue use and not look back. Someone incredibly skilled with a tig and a grinder may be able to fix the crack.

took the can off my bolt gun - it was fine.-wasn't there when I set off to the range that morning or when I put the can onto the rifle at the range - rust appears to be copper jacket.
Looks like a bullet nicked the can from the outside
it does look like that- this was at the English Pit. The backstop berm is dirt, so unlikely a ricochet, and from behind the the rifle nothing unusual noted- no odd noises, no one, as far as I could tell, shooting at me....

Could it be from the inside? Could that be the remnant of a bullet from a misaligned silencer or a bullet deflecting off of some obstruction inside the can?

That pic with what looks like big crack makes me think it is a baffle strike and an 1/8th turn loose is enough to do it. I made the mistake of using a crush washer with my old suppressor once and got a strike on the edge of the discharge hole…derp. Nowadays I use Teflon tape on the bbl threads to make sure the can stays put.
I believe it is a chunk of bullet and jacket - I'm surprised - the can backing off the shoulder slightly has happened before and it's had zero effect. Even when it's backed off several complete turns, the can doesn't wobble or move, it's tight and I'd assume, reasonable aligned.

I tried to take some pics of the baffles, looking from each end there is no sign on any of the baffles of a strike- there's some erosion ( I've had this can for about 10years and shot a lot of rounds through it.....), but nothing that looks like a strike.
Same using a feeler rod.
IMG_2492.jpg IMG_2495.JPG
IMG_2493.jpg
IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2511.jpg

now I'm wondering if I shot it with my other gun ? This was on a bipod- other gun was resting on blocks- 3X sight 2 " above bore and wouldn't put the tip of the can in my field of view.....this is from the rightmost bay on the 100 3rd range- it's a tight space and narrow line towards the target....

Last Edited:
took the can off my bolt gun - it was fine.-wasn't there when I set off to the range that morning or when I put the can onto the rifle at the range - rust appears to be copper jacket.

it does look like that- this was at the English Pit. The backstop berm is dirt, so unlikely a ricochet, and from behind the the rifle nothing unusual noted- no odd noises, no one, as far as I could tell, shooting at me....

I believe it is a chunk of bullet and jacket - I'm surprised - the can backing off the shoulder slightly has happened before and it's had zero effect. Even when it's backed off several complete turns, the can doesn't wobble or move, it's tight and I'd assume, reasonable aligned.

I tried to take some pics of the baffles, looking from each end there is no sign on any of the baffles of a strike- there's some erosion ( I've had this can for about 10years and shot a lot of rounds through it.....), but nothing that looks like a strike.
Same using a feeler rod.
View attachment 1025193View attachment 1025194
View attachment 1025192
View attachment 1025195

View attachment 1025196

now I'm wondering if I shot it with my other gun ? This was on a bipod- other gun was resting on blocks- 3X sight 2 " above bore and wouldn't put the tip of the can in my field of view.....this is from the rightmost bay on the 100 3rd range- it's a tight space and narrow line towards the target....
Your last explanation seems to be the most likely; I don't yet have any personal experience with a suppressor, but the location and footprint of the damage on your can rules out some sort of internal alignment issue/baffle strike.

It also definitely looks like the damage occurred from the shooter's position outward (or downrange) rather than the reverse; so I doubt it was some sort of fluke ricochet.

most definitely looks liek it was struck from outside, rather from something inside the barrel.
leave the ding and call it character.. mine has some scratches on it from when i did not get it locked down and i fired it off like a rifle grenade. :rolleyes:
talk about embarrassing

Same using a feeler rod.
View attachment 1025193View attachment 1025194
View attachment 1025192
View attachment 1025195

View attachment 1025196

It was definitely struck by a bullet moving towards the muzzle end. Notice the edge of the end cap is slightly bowed outwards at the "exit wound".

On the bright side… it still counts as a hit towards your score! :s0062:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads