JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For what it's worth, those aren't really prayer rugs. They're called "war rugs". Middle Eastern peasants make them to sell to troops as souvenirs. It's a way for the little guy to make a buck from occupying forces and is a tradition at least back to soviet occupations of Iran.

When I first saw one, I was appalled and taken aback until I learned what they are. There Is a rug shop in Langley that keeps them in stock for the troops stationed at Oak Harbor who forgot to buy theirs while they were in Iraq or Afghanistan.

It's funny to see ones that have English writing on them...definitely made for Americans by people who don't know English.

We used to call them "war carpets" back then. But so many people referred to them as "prayer rugs" that I started calling them that too. I haven't seen any with English, but mine are from the Soviet era. Still an interesting piece of history.

We used to call them "war carpets" back then. But so many people referred to them as "prayer rugs" that I started calling them that too. I haven't seen any with English, but mine are from the Soviet era. Still an interesting piece of history.

This one is a lot like the one I saw in Langley:
http://imprint.printmag.com/wp-content/uploads/war-rug4.jpg

But I digress...

AK's are a hoot and a half. Enjoy the MAK90! You've got a sweet rifle there!

Might just be paranoid, but don't want to be the guy that makes an $800 gun out of a $1500 collector.

You aren't making any permanent changes. Throw all the original parts into a box. Configure it to suit you and have fun shooting.

You'll probably come out ahead in a few years if you sell it, might even pay for the US parts. Plus the next owner will likely want to buy those US parts too.

Can't really lose.

Have fun.

I own several MAK 90's and they, in my opinion, are the best 'utilitarian' AK style rifle out there. They are leaps and bounds above other 'utilitarian' AK's, no real collectors value, shoot straight and run forever.

Whatever you do, enjoy modifying and shooting it.

SF-

I have one that was just like that, lined out markings and all. I've seen others at gun shows over the years so I don't think they are all that rare. One plus is that they have the thicker receiver metal, something like 1.6mm instead of 1mm like most AKs. Mine is a good shooter, bought it many years ago for about $200 IIRC.

I made a stock set for mine. It turned out really nice, but was a lot of work. I'm not into AKs, but its a neat rifle that I plan on keeping. I know what you mean about liking the original trigger (mine was great too), but the US G2 trigger I put on mine is every bit as good, and $30 is a cheap price to pay to make sure you're legal.

I have one that was just like that, lined out markings and all. I've seen others at gun shows over the years so I don't think they are all that rare. One plus is that they have the thicker receiver metal, something like 1.6mm instead of 1mm like most AKs. Mine is a good shooter, bought it many years ago for about $200 IIRC.

I made a stock set for mine. It turned out really nice, but was a lot of work. I'm not into AKs, but its a neat rifle that I plan on keeping. I know what you mean about liking the original trigger (mine was great too), but the US G2 trigger I put on mine is every bit as good, and $30 is a cheap price to pay to make sure you're legal.

Well, nice to know I'm not downgrading. Thanks.

My MAK90

A659825F-1720-4697-918F-F31A0B273C37-2288-0000033AE058D27B_zps149713a8.jpg

697769F2-C445-4188-86F4-A17CF00CB78F-2288-0000033AECC9BEBA_zps69510ffe.jpg

DBC1CAE8-532C-420C-9A98-940D5186DC7A-2288-0000033AF4C22EBF_zps20d1d7a3.jpg

<broken link removed>