JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, ordered new stock set in Olive drab, trigger group, and a flash suppressor (found out the nut on my barrel can be unscrewed and the threads are still there in great shape). Will probably need to find some detailed videos for the trigger swap, never done it before.

It's a shame to have to change triggers. The original is actually very smooth, surprised me.

If you want it to retain any value you should keep it as it sits in the box. Mak 90's are great guns. It will be worth less if it is not original. If you want to tear something apart get a wasr 10

Yeah, I understand that opinion, but, honestly, I don't see these being worth a whole heck of a lot as collectors in the future. I may be wrong, but I am not willing to keep this thing in my safe with that GOD awful butt ugly growth attached to it. Everything feels like it would be a great shooter except for the that junk that my hand has to wrap around. It isn't the way it was intended. If anything, I am taking it back to what it was supposed be in the first place.

Honestly, that thumbhole stock feels like two Glocks taped side by side. Sorry, they are great guns, but just don't feel right in my hand, and this thing feels doubly awkward. If I am keeping it, it is going to be something I enjoy shooting (and, yes, it has to please my eye as well).

For what it's worth, those aren't really prayer rugs. They're called "war rugs". Middle Eastern peasants make them to sell to troops as souvenirs. It's a way for the little guy to make a buck from occupying forces and is a tradition at least back to soviet occupations of Iran.

When I first saw one, I was appalled and taken aback until I learned what they are. There Is a rug shop in Langley that keeps them in stock for the troops stationed at Oak Harbor who forgot to buy theirs while they were in Iraq or Afghanistan.

It's funny to see ones that have English writing on them...definitely made for Americans by people who don't know English.

It's a shame to have to change triggers. The original is actually very smooth, surprised me.

I understand wanting to keep the factory trigger on your MAK. An option to keep your trigger and still stay 922r compliant is to just run it with US made magazines, which count as 3 compliance parts if I remember right. Another common replacement part for compliance on AKs is the gas piston. You can find a US made one nearly anywhere online and I believe it is fairly easy to swap out, though I've never done it myself.

I understand wanting to keep the factory trigger on your MAK. An option to keep your trigger and still stay 922r compliant is to just run it with US made magazines, which count as 3 compliance parts if I remember right. Another common replacement part for compliance on AKs is the gas piston. You can find a US made one nearly anywhere online and I believe it is fairly easy to swap out, though I've never done it myself.

Does anybody on here know this to be true? If so I am cancelling my order for the trigger group.

Did you confirm you do not have a slant receiver prior to ordering your stock? Did you get the Warsaw Pact length stock over the NATO?

I'd get a Hogue or Palm Desert Battle grip over the pistol grip the comes in a stock set.

Trigger change out is easy:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/108463-ak-trigger-group-change.html

It is the straight cut, and the stock set says "AK-GSW standard length," whatever that means.

Also ordered a ghost ring rear sight that I have read good things about. I got the AKM.
AK ? SKS ? VZ58 | Mojo Sights

I will probably go with the grip you are talking about eventually.

Yeah, I am kind of getting obsessed with this thing. Now I am looking at front sights and wondering what would be best with the ghost ring. One front sight has crosshairs like in a scope, and that would work, but I was also thinking just a simple but slimmer post with a ball at the end would be good. So stupid. I didn't even want one of these two weeks ago!

So a thought occurred to me as I have been obsessing. I notice that on my rifle there are grinding marks that is where it used to say ak47. So this wasn't a sporter that was brought in after the AWB. It was one that was on the dock when it happened and they had to grind off what it was and make it a Mak-90 (modified AK). Is it possible that I have something I shouldn't be screwing with?

There are four lines of text grinded out on the receiver, and the original owner told me that is where it used to be called an AK. Looking on gunbroker.com all of the Mak-90's I see are called "sporters" and don't have those grind marks.

Might just be paranoid, but don't want to be the guy that makes an $800 gun out of a $1500 collector.

Install a tritium front post with the ghost ring and a slide fire stock, and a rail fore end with a quick detach red dot or Eotech and 5 or 7 position folding fore grip :cool:

So as long as the stock set I change it to is US made I am good, right? Or do I have to change all the other junk too in order to be compliant?
If you have a threaded muzzle then you need to replace 6-parts to be compliant.
The stock set counts as three.