JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
20130215_1319462_zpscbf4df3e.jpg

So I got this in a trade and haven't decided what to do with it. Got it from the original owner, who says the gun has never even been racked.

I know very little about AK's. Is it even possible that this could be a collector in its current configuration someday? Does being unfired in original box matter? Would it be worth more if I changed out the butt ugly stock?

If I kept it to shoot there is no way I can keep that stock, it sucks.

Wondering if I shouldn't just trade it for something I am into. Are these any fun to shoot?

Guess I just need some opinions.

MAK90s and NHMs are very nice rifles. A while back one could purchase a MAK for $325 - $350....at least that is all I would every pay. I have converted several back to the original condition with new FSB/GB w/bayo lugs and all the requisite US made parts to keep it from being eVile. You may not see it, but that is a fine rifle there and, in my not so humble opinion, I believe you should keep it until such a time as you can appreciate the AK47 buried under that butthole stock.

I have 2 and they are quiet fun. They were a lot funner when I was paying $60/1000 for ammo. Use to shoot these more then my .22's. Yes for a long time they sold in the $350 range but I have seen them easily selling in the $500 range (not just in the past 60 days).

As .308 said make sure you keep it 922r compliant if you do start changing pieces as these fall under the 1989 ban that is still in effect.

A TAPCO or RSA trigger group and a nice US made stockset will keep it legal.

Stockset:
https://www.k-var.com/shop/AKBSW-1.html

TAPCO double hook G2 trigger group (MAKs have a double hook trigger): (Note the price online...so you don't get gouged at the gunshow seller table)
<broken link removed>

Redstar Arms Adjustable Trigger (This is a nice one)
Red Star Arms Inc.

Mojo Peep Sight:
Search for Mojo on their sight...link no worky

Hot Chick:
http://www.redstararms.com/RSA-AGENT.jpg

OH, hell. Now you guys are getting me excited about it. I'm thinking full sand blast and cerakote, all metal inside and out (not inside barrel of course). What the hell, I need at least one "for the hell of it" gun. Saw a couple of 75 round drum mags at the gun show the other day, but passed because I thought this one was just moving through.

OK, so, to be sure. There are no die-hards out there who will be heart broken by me making this unfired gun worth owning. The only reason I ask is years ago I saw a sweet 1960 impala that someone had resto-modded. It was awesome until I found out he built it out of a car with 15,000 original miles on it. Doesn't seem that these have the collector potential that other guns have though.

I am just making sure because the guy I bought it from bought it back in 93/94 and thought it would be worth something someday. Hate to ruin, something that someone else covets. Doesn't sound like there is much to keep me from doing whatever I want with it, though. I'll be sure to show pics of the progress if I take it on.

It is unlikely it will increase in value based on NIB or being "rare".

After the 1989 ban on importation of "non-sporing" firearms guns had to modified for import. The name stands for Modified AK of 1990. Basically these same "rules" based on features became a ban on domestic made guns and was called the 1994 AWB. So now days you have 3 options to get a "real" AK. Buy a pre-ban one, buy a domestic made one like an Arsenal, or modify an import with enough parts that it is no longer considered an import.

Wondering if I shouldn't just trade it for something I am into. Are these any fun to shoot?
Guess I just need some opinions.

Yes, fun to shoot (what isn't?). But that isn't all. There aren't many firearms that are immortalized on things like Islamic prayer rugs. This one is from the 80s - Soviet occupation of Afghanistan- (sorry the pic is so dark). I had the prayer rug long before I had an AK, but wouldn't part with either now. Besides being reliable and fun, I love the history and mystique surrounding them.

AK-1.jpg

Awesome. I was totally dead set against keeping this gun, because there is no real reason for having it, in my opinion besides just for the fun of it, and you guys have convinced me to keep it and have some fun.

Just went out and took it apart for the first time, as per the original owner, and have to say he did not lie. Not a speck anywhere. Did have some trouble getting it back together though. That trigger is really unexpected. I'd always thought of AK's as being the rough and tumble pull hard enough and it'll go bang side of the AR spectrum, but this was very smooth.

It is going to be fun coming up with ideas for this one. My father-in-law is a wood worker. I would be kind of neat to turn the turd they attached to this thing into something beautiful and functional. Just a thought.

Yes, fun to shoot (what isn't?). But that isn't all. There aren't many firearms that are immortalized on things like Islamic prayer rugs. This one is from the 80s - Soviet occupation of Afghanistan- (sorry the pic is so dark). I had the prayer rug long before I had an AK, but wouldn't part with either now. Besides being reliable and fun, I love the history and mystique surrounding them.

I too love the history and mystique behind firearms, but I have to say it struck me as a little sad that an AK showed up in a prayer rug. I realize that for the person who put it there that represented their only hope to fight against oppression, but it is still sad to me that some places are still in that place.

I too love the history and mystique behind firearms, but I have to say it struck me as a little sad that an AK showed up in a prayer rug. I realize that for the person who put it there that represented their only hope to fight against oppression, but it is still sad to me that some places are still in that place.

Yup, some things seem to never change. I don't know if anyone is making them these days, but back in the late 80s there were a lot of those floating around Saudi (mostly from Afghanistan and Pakistan). AKs were prominent, but other armaments were incorporated into them as well. Those rugs really did capture the mood back then.

It is going to be fun coming up with ideas for this one. My father-in-law is a wood worker. I would be kind of neat to turn the turd they attached to this thing into something beautiful and functional. Just a thought.

Take a look at Ironwood Design's photo gallery. Those are what AKs are suppose to look like. :)

<broken link removed>

Yup, some things seem to never change. I don't know if anyone is making them these days, but back in the late 80s there were a lot of those floating around Saudi (mostly from Afghanistan and Pakistan). AKs were prominent, but other armaments were incorporated into them as well. Those rugs really did capture the mood back then.

So sad.