JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My primary AR has a quad rail on it. I know it is a bit heavy compared to a M-LOK rail. For my built AR I am using a Troy Industries M-LOK rail.

Right now I have a Seekins SP3R (12"), a Daniel Defense MFR (13"), a Mega Wedge Lok (12") and a Hodge Wedge Lock (11.5") on uppers. I have found that I like the slimmer feel of non-quad rails. If you end up looking for a non-quad the Wedge Locks are hard to beat for toughness. Their barrel nut is very robust and has a long bearing surface. The Seekins is also quite robust and almost monolithic with the upper receiver. The DD is super light and a great complement to the 20" pencil-barrel upper it is on.

If I were building a(nother) 14.5 right now, I'd likely get another Wedge Lock. I would also consider a Geissele (they also have long and robust barrel nuts, which I seem to have developed a preference for).

The weight and girth (especially swollen with rail covers) of a quad just don't make sense for my purposes... or the size of my hands...
I agree ☝️ on the slim rails, I do like the look and feel awesome in my hand, but it's almost impossible to get a wedge lock rail (specifically a Triarc) at this time unless its a used unit. The website shows a 4 month wait!

I have...
--CBC uncertain Keymod: Came with 16" middy upper on my first AR build.
--KAC M5 RAS: From a member here, for an M16A4 URG.
--KAC M4 RAS: Factory on a contract-overrun Colt military M4 URG.
--Cadex screw-on accessory rails for plastic handguards: Both to Diemaco/Canadian Forces spec, short on on the girlfriend's C8A3 and long stashed for a possible C7A2 URG.
--Vltor CASV-EL: Mk 18 pistol.
--Uncertain YHM knockoff: Came as part of a parts-bin cleanout I bought, needs barrel nut.

They're all kinda "Horses For Courses," each being better at some role than the others. That Mk18 pistol be a heavy mofo, though.

Last Edited:
Okay, Well I made a final decision today to remove my RIS II rail and picked up a Geissele MK8 10.5 MLOK rail in DDC.

I also went ahead and pulled out the DD 14.5 barrel and will be swapping in my DD 12.5 barrel in place as soon as I receive my rail.

My 14.5 carbine length shoots very well suppressed with 2:30 - 3:00 ejection patterns mainly using 55gr American Federal or IMI and PMC X-Tac.

I tried shooting my 12.5 suppressed and damn that bubblegum gassed up my eyes and face pretty good, even had me tearing up like I was watching The Notebook or something.

IMHO The Radian SD charging handle was not as effective as I hoped, if your tool is over gassed, its over gassed! My fancy charging handle didn't do much to help dissipate or divert the gasses away.

Im hoping that Brownells will ship my rail out soon.

I'll post up a classified sometime soon for my take offs. I need to re coup some ends.

Hey everybody, I just wanted to see what others here on the site are operating with and for reference im running a 14.5 CHF Daniel Defense P/W with a Dead Air 3prong FH.

Im torn between getting a lighter rail or just stick with my RIS II rail. I am a die hard fan for the nostalgic look and ruggedness of quad rails btw.

What's everyone else operating with? Opinions?
Which RIS II?

My Handguards include...
The FSP version and it is one of my favorite handguards, I have it on my 6920, I'm getting ready to tear it apart and put on 14.5" SOCOM barrel with a PW SF 3 prong. My other Pic rail is DD Omega 9.0, I'm very impressed with it for a simple drop-in rail.

A BCM MCMR-13, which I'm debating on changing out for their QRF-12 and a Cloud Defensive CORv1, which is pretty much a BCM MCMR with a lowered top Pic section to accommodate their OWL light.

A Centurion C4 M-LOK Rail (Mid Cut) and a CMR 5.56 MLOK 15"

An SLR Rifleworks ION 15" Lite MLOK Handguard.

A Geissele MK16 13.5" and MK13 15", I should dump them both and get a MK4 13.5", I think this is the way. Full quad Pic rail up front and MLOK the rest of the way. Pic is the most solid mounting system, put that up front for the laser, light, QD bipod.

Does anyone make a sectioned quad rail? What I mean is, quad rails on the end for about ~3 or 4 inches then smooth keymod/mlok all the way back on all sides except the top, which has some rail for ~3-4" from the receiver for some extra scope mount space…?

For my use, I simply have no need for a full length rail…but a bit at the end would be nice (as opposed to using mlok->rail adapters).

The KAC URX 3.1 is one of my all time favorites, way ahead of its time.

Which RIS II?

My Handguard include...
The FSP version and it is one of my favorite handguards, I have it on my 6920, I'm getting ready to tear it apart and put on 14.5" SOCOM barrel with a PW SF 3 prong. My other Pic rail is DD Omega 9.0, I'm very impressed with it for a simple drop-in rail.

A BCM MCMR-13, which I'm debating on changing out for their QRF-12 and a Cloud Defensive CORv1, which is pretty much a BCM MCMR with a lowered top Pic section to accommodate their OWL light.

A Centurion C4 M-LOK Rail (Mid Cut) and a CMR 5.56 MLOK 15"

An SLR Rifleworks ION 15" Lite MLOK Handguard.

A Geissele MK16 13.5" and MK13 15", I should dump them both and get a MK4 13.5", I think this is the way. Full quad Pic rail up front and MLOK the rest of the way. Pic is the most solid mounting system, put that up front for the laser, light, QD bipod.
The traditional black color variant RIS II 12.25".

Okay, Well I made a final decision today to remove my RIS II rail and picked up a Geissele MK8 10.5 MLOK rail in DDC.

I also went ahead and pulled out the DD 14.5 barrel and will be swapping in my DD 12.5 barrel in place as soon as I receive my rail.

My 14.5 carbine length shoots very well suppressed with 2:30 - 3:00 ejection patterns mainly using 55gr American Federal or IMI and PMC X-Tac.

I tried shooting my 12.5 suppressed and damn that bubblegum gassed up my eyes and face pretty good, even had me tearing up like I was watching The Notebook or something.

IMHO The Radian SD charging handle was not as effective as I hoped, if your tool is over gassed, its over gassed! My fancy charging handle didn't do much to help dissipate or divert the gasses away.

Im hoping that Brownells will ship my rail out soon.

I'll post up a classified sometime soon for my take offs. I need to re coup some ends.
https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-EZTUNE-Gas-Tube-LMT-MID-p148504128

Aero, BCM, PSA, two IHNFI brand and one Geissele MK4. Geissele is the heaviest and also my favorite.

Does anyone make a sectioned quad rail? What I mean is, quad rails on the end for about ~3 or 4 inches then smooth keymod/mlok all the way back on all sides except the top, which has some rail for ~3-4" from the receiver for some extra scope mount space…?

For my use, I simply have no need for a full length rail…but a bit at the end would be nice (as opposed to using mlok->rail adapters).
I have an Aero M5E rail that has the first and last two inches in quad. The 11" in between are slim hold top rail only.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top