JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am rather frustrated with both my break barrel air rifles. One is a Stoger x-20 the other a Benjaman Nitro mag. Both are $150-ish rifles. Not high end but not kids toys either. In the last few days I have put several hundred rounds through them shooting at around 60 feet from a rifle rest inside (perfect conditions). I have used four kinds of pellets trying to fine one that shot "better". I can get random groups with the Stoger. Three here, then another group 3 inches away with a few flyers. With the Benjamin I am lucky to get all the shots to hit a 6" target period with the current Simions scope which I "upgraded"to from the cheap factory one. I actually did better with the cheap one. This scope (a $40 .22 scope) has such bad parallax focus at 60 feet that it seems like I would have better luck just sighting down the barrel.

I really would like to have a rifle that would shoot under 1" groups at 60 feet consistently with the right ammo. I don't feel like that is asking much at all. Am I just expecting to much from a break barrel? I think the issues with the Stoger is the barrel does not lock firmly into place each time giving slight variation. I think the Benjamin is inconsistent with air but locks up better.

Both of these are new-ish. Have less than probably 300 rounds down either. Are they just not broken in?

Hi IronMonster,
If you haven't heard of it you might want to look up Ted's Holdover on the net and youtube. He's an avid air gunner and has lots of good info about air guns. His youtube videos are actually entertaining. Here is the link for his accuracy review of the B.T. NP in .22 cal.

http://www.tedsholdover.com/video/reviews/benjamin_trail_np/

Basically its takes awhile to find the Magic Pellet that works for your particular rifle. Ted shows you how he does it.

Hope this helps with your accuracy issues.

B.V.E.

Last Edited:
You know that a regular rifle scope is not engineered to last very long on a spring action pellet rifle?
regular rifles recoil towards you and pellet rifles recoil forward. Plus the springs vibrations tend to wreak havoc on the scopes.
My Gamo was $130 a long time ago. My and the kid were BSin' outside and shooting at a pop can.It never went over so we checked to see if we had even hit it.Almost cut it in half at 20 yards.
The racoon I shot directly between the eyes with it won't be a very good witness for me

I am rather frustrated with both my break barrel air rifles. One is a Stoger x-20 the other a Benjaman Nitro mag. Both are $150-ish rifles. Not high end but not kids toys either. In the last few days I have put several hundred rounds through them shooting at around 60 feet from a rifle rest inside (perfect conditions). I have used four kinds of pellets trying to fine one that shot "better". I can get random groups with the Stoger. Three here, then another group 3 inches away with a few flyers. With the Benjamin I am lucky to get all the shots to hit a 6" target period with the current Simions scope which I "upgraded"to from the cheap factory one. I actually did better with the cheap one. This scope (a $40 .22 scope) has such bad parallax focus at 60 feet that it seems like I would have better luck just sighting down the barrel.

I really would like to have a rifle that would shoot under 1" groups at 60 feet consistently with the right ammo. I don't feel like that is asking much at all. Am I just expecting to much from a break barrel? I think the issues with the Stoger is the barrel does not lock firmly into place each time giving slight variation. I think the Benjamin is inconsistent with air but locks up better.

Both of these are new-ish. Have less than probably 300 rounds down either. Are they just not broken in?

I shoot dime size groups with my two springers at 20yds. Some rifles are very hold sensitive.All have their favorite pellet, and I find most like dome shape pellets and most don't like pointed ones. Guns will vary.

Another important thing to remember with break barrel rifles is to make sure the screws on either side of the forearm are tight. As well as the one at the trigger guard. Due to the violent action of the heavy spring, they will loosen and that will change your point of impact.Best to use locktite or check them often and tighten. Learn the hold and make sure you do it the same every time.

Its the spring. When it releases it causes momentum and a little different every time.
You want accuracy, you need built up pressure and exactly the same amount every time for accuracy to be there. Look closely at what is used in truly match grade air rifles. They have a means to put as close to the exact same pressure behind that pellet every time and they do not have a big spring that releases pushing a plunger for the pressure. That is just a wild guess :D:D:D:D:confused:

I don't care... Any new info would be welcome

I have since ditched the Stoger, I still have the Nitro and it improved somewhat with a good scrubbing (I am sure it was lead fouled)

It still does not shoot like I want an airgun to shoot and I have been watching and waiting for the right "higher end" option to come along to replace it.

My only gas piston gun is a Remington NPSS. I returned it to Pyramid Air as it was so gritty when cocking. The next one was just as bad so I figured screw the warranty and tore it down to smooth things out. I've been doing airgun repair for 25 years and have lubes and grease on hand. Now it is silk smooth cocking and will hit a 1 inch target at 65 yards. 22 caliber shooting crossman premier pointed pellets.

Hello,
You get what you pay for. These rifles at the link cost as much as any firearm.

http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/air-rifles?lang=en

Shooting a break barrel springer is different than shooting a powder burner.

A good place to buy is Pyramid Air or Straight Shooters. Google search will turn them right up.

Check this site out. The 'Yellow Forum' is likely the best known forum for airguns.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537

Good luck with it. It really takes some research to make an informed decision.

Jim

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads