JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I first saw one last week.Looks pretty cool.
Guy told me it was polymer,aluminum and titanium (cylinder is SS BTW),"they did everything they could to make it light"

I looked on here and googled it and you tubed it and went back and looked again,at a different shop.
Google tells tails (1year old) of gas cutting and breakage,trigger locking up and cylinder not cycling.
Kicks a bit with full house rounds (duh) but has a wonderful trigger at points well.Especially with the almost $300 laser grips.

So at the store today,I compared it with a S&W "bodyguard" poly frame revolver.I like the grips on the Ruger better than having the laser on the small gripped Smith.
And yes,the trigger was great on the Ruger,but the cylinder was hard to pop out.Had to force it out.Has it been too long since I've handled a new revolver,or were these anomalies?
The trigger problem apparently is caused by people not letting the trigger out all the way (hey works on the glock) and not completing the cycle.Not brainer there.

How about the gas cutting? Too hot of loads? Ruger has made good on this one,I've read. Something about non heat treated frames.

What I really want is a Python snubby....but not $1800 worth of want.
What else is out there?
(no Charter Arms or Taurus')

OOPS Python snubs are $2700+ right now on GB WOW

Last Edited:
Nothing against Rugers as I own several and I would not be opposed to buying one of the LCRs, but would probably go for an SP101 if wanting a Ruger snubbie. I also like the S&W 642 Airweight and I really like the 649 .357. We have an Airweight (it's the wife's) and I think it's a great little revolver. I did have a 649 (shrouded hammer, stainless) .357 and kinda wish I hadn't let it go. I'd probably like that one over any snubbie out there.
A Python or even a Detective Special would be cool, but like you, I don't think they are cool enough to pay that much for one.

For what its worth, I own a LCR in .357. It's my everyday carry weapon in the summer. I've owned a sp-101, and still own a couple j-frame smiths. I've found that the LCR is an excellent combination of the two. Trigger was very good out of the box, and has gotten better 500ish rounds in. Size and weight are nigh identical to my wife's 642. Very easy, and comfortable to conceal front pocket in a Mika, which is a must for cut-off jeans season. Recoil is manageable, if not necessarily pleasant, even with relatively hot handloads.
Only issue so far has been a very tight cylinder out of the box. In fact, the first 10 rds. of Hornaday critical defense 125 gr. I put through it would not eject without the assistance of a dowel and mallet. I contacted Ruger and they offered to pay to have it shipped back to them for repair. However, not wanting to be without my new toy, I put another 50 rds. through, cleaning the cylinder after every five, and now no further ejection problems have been noted.
All in all, I'm very pleased.
-Curtis

S&W 642 w/o key lock all the way if you want a small peice.

S&W 66 2.5" or 3" if you want something a little larger.

I'm kinda looking for a 66,686,Detective type. Not set on just the airweights,mostly size.Only problem I see with the lightweights is the small grips,which I'm sure ads to the kick.Ya know these little guns are hard to find used.Seems people want to keep their easy carry guns lately,lol

And as for the brutality,I'm probably guna run a box through and just carry it.

And thanks curtismann,I'm not quite finished looking at the LCR.Maybe I'll find someone up here that has one to let me try.

Hmmm,gun show tomorrow

I have a 357 LCR, I've put a few hundred rounds through the pistol with no problems. I read that Ruger supposedly fired 10,000 rounds through the final production model with no problems.
As to the problems reported, I'd say it is more related to the operator than the pistol.

It's blue,mostly The guy doesn't like to deal with handguns so he was ready to get rid of it.

Now the way I see this is you have a little 38 in the pocket,ready to shoot if necessary,instead of trying to quick draw.

I have the lcr in 38 spc +p. .357 was not available when i purchased this model.
no laser grip cause at the time i wanted one the laser grip version was out of stock and i didnt wanna wait.
i picked up mine at keith's in gresham. so far no troubles with the handgun at all.
have fired the +p loads with no issues.

I was talking to a local pistol smith about the LCR today.He had put maybe 50 rounds though it with absolutely no problems.
Kicks like a mule but never a problem other than that.

FYI (as i will not be buying one soon.

I went with the S&W 442 for pocket carry

For Comparison - Top to Bottom

SP-101 ~3"
Taurus M85CH 2"
S&W 442 ~2"

Assorted_Rev.jpg

Nice picture wjv ... shows the physical differences very well. I went with the S&W M&P 340. I shoot .38+P in it, as the .357 magnum out of a 13 ounce J-Frame is not fun to practice with. I do keep a .357 magnum 158 grain GDHP in the 5th cylinder to let me know when I need dump the J-Frame and access the BUG. The light weight pocket carry is the real plus side of this little J-Frame.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top