JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What good are night sights for in low light conditions (not total darkness) if you don't have a flashlight to identify the target?

Last Edited:
Nothing. Zip, zero, useless. I've shot at the range with the lights out. Even a low lumen weapon light makes them blacked out goal posts. The light spill makes them completely useless. If your eyes are adjusted and you can see the tritium, you sure as heck can't see the threat.

Multi-million dollar industry of fake falsehood. Don't believe me, try it yourself. I was lights out with a Streamlight TLR-3 150 lumen light at 30 feet. All I saw was black silhouettes for sights with brand new Trijicons.

Forget about the 5-600 Lumen lights. Shoot, with that much to unadjusted eyes you're shooting shotgun-style anyway.

Multi-million dollar industry of fake falsehood. Don't believe me, try it yourself. I was lights out with a Streamlight TLR-3 150 lumen light at 30 feet. All I saw was black silhouettes for sights with brand new Trijicons.
Oh I believe you, I dry ran this night sights are useless in zero light conditions but plain sights with a handheld they stand out possibly better than daylight.

what I'm wondering specifically is if there is some sort of low light condition where night sights are useful if you don't have a flashlight? Is it possible to properly identify your target in low light conditions without a light where night sights assist in aiming?

(I probably should clarify my OP...)

Oh I believe you, I dry ran this night sights are useless in zero light conditions but plain sights with a handheld they stand out possibly better than daylight.

what I'm wondering specifically is if there is some sort of low light condition where night sights are useful if you don't have a flashlight? Is it possible to properly identify your target in low light conditions without a light where night sights assist in aiming?

(I probably should clarify my OP...)

I don't think so. For me, I want light on target to identify and dispatch if needed. Not blinding to me, but to them yes and with enough spill to also see my surroundings for possible collateral damage.

Try this....go to bed. Lay there for 20 minutes. Then get up quickly and try to use your HD rig with night sights down a dark hallway or staircase. You won't see much. Then use a lower lumen light to find your way. The night sites will disappear instantly. Night sites don't do squat to identify a threat more easily.

I actually prefer the lower powered lights for my house guns because I don't need to worry about shooting past 30 feet, tops.

For a gun that goes outside, I carry a brighter light.

Yes, this. And in either scenario the night site's dots won't be seen.

That's why I run a TLR-3 on my G34, and a Fenix TK20R on my AR-15. 150 Lumens inside, 1000 outside.

67DD2E29-699C-46A1-92B8-EFF89BB57554.jpeg

7E2F8DC4-93A1-4CFA-846D-3A815B227E1E.jpeg

Night sights were intended for low light situations that made it difficult to quickly differentiate the front and rear sights. They were never meant for use in absolute darkness. They were popularized before handgun mounted flashlights became available.

Night sites don't do squat to identify a threat more easily.

yup, agree...

I'm trying to figure out if there is any scenario even a small one where night sights assist in aiming in low light condition's if one didn't have a handheld light. I.e.: porch lights, moonlight, hallway night light... you might see a silhouette of a person, I guess it would really depend if any ambient light was enough to properly identify the target.

yup, agree...

I'm trying to figure out if there is any scenario even a small one where night sights assist in aiming in low light condition's if one didn't have a handheld light. I.e.: porch lights, moonlight, hallway night light... you might see a silhouette of a person, I guess it would really depend if any ambient light was enough to properly identify the target.

If you have some ambient light, and/or adjusted eyes there MIGHT be a reason to have them.....

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top