JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow lots of great ideas out there. Thanks much!

I had not thought of the metal shavings becoming embedded in the material before so that is definitely something to keep in mind. It makes sense.

I have some aluminum channel material like that shown below that I could cut in half lengthwise and then glue leather to it maybe. Could glue some magnets to it too (on the top side I'm thinking, not the side under pressure) if I wanted to get fancy.

I like the oiled leather idea too cuz could use oil and a brush to brush off any embedded shavings (not needed for what I'm doing at the moment but would work to keep it clean on future projects I'm thinking). I like the off-the-shelf nylon ones too but it's hard to tell how soft or hard they are without seeing them in person.

Thanks for the excellent ideas and experience! Much appreciated!
8797820223518.jpg

Leather, Hardwood, 3D printed plastic for the bench vice is usually what I use! For Lathe work, traditionally brass sheet bent around the jaw teeth, or sometimes lead, depending on the material! Years ago, I milled a couple of sets of Vice Jaws to fit my vice for various needs, so i'm not having to make stuff on the fly very much!

I bought nylon jaw protectors from Amazon, they have lots of sizes and shapes. I like the idea of using leather if you have some available...
I would think nylon tip or brass for a punch that would not scratch the gun.

find a cheap new fan belt like the serpentine kind they are soft yet very strong as well litrally made to grip. as well as what others have mentioned. depends on the size and style of the vice im using and what for. ive kinda always been curious what that mat looking stuff is Mark Novak uses in his. looks kinda like crap but seems to work well
i dont like some of the better rated ones on amazon (amazon reviews seem to be almost worthless). the Wilton ones seem significantly better. 3D printing is nice. you can change the fill % and the material makin almost limitless options.

for the punch you could use brass, if you want you could even "face" it with lead soldered on. theres a huge varience is the softness of solders depending on the alloy. higher silver % and tin, the harder they get. i have like 1/16" or 1/32" sheet poly urethane used for press forming operations i can glue to the tip of a punch if i really need to. but dont expect that to last long. i have yet to find a glue that can take a real beating and put up with it.

Last Edited:
find a cheap new fan belt like the serpentine kind they are soft yet very strong as well litrally made to grip. as well as what others have mentioned. depends on the size and style of the vice im using and what for. ive kinda always been curious what that mat looking stuff is Mark Novak uses in his. looks kinda like crap but seems to work well
i dont like some of the better rated ones on amazon (amazon reviews seem to be almost worthless). the Wilton ones seem significantly better. 3D printing is nice. you can change the fill % and the material makin almost limitless options.
Not sure if you'd want the fall out from the belt on the finish of the firearm, depends on how hard it's being used though. Who knows, sometimes the style of vice is, not what you expected...

The-Rake-Miami-Vice-00007[1].jpg

Check out Fireball Tool channel. They do failure tests on tools. Here's a test they did on vices:

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=VcbTopj5u7A

I bought an inexpensive vise at Harbor Freight and bought plastic jaw set from Home Depot. I also use towels depending on what I am working on. I am careful to not over cinch. Wow the price of non-marring vise jaws went up quite a bit now.

3BB42723-D0AB-427E-9A5C-017E5231F791.png

I bought an inexpensive vise at Harbor Freight and bought plastic jaw set from Home Depot. I also use towels depending on what I am working on. I am careful to not over cinch. Wow the price of non-marring vise jaws went up quite a bit now.

View attachment 820868
That looks exactly like the set I have on the big vice. The cuts in the face have come in handy several times.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top