JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whoopi Goldberg got herself a media whooping (yes, yes, attempt at pun) this week for the disrespect she showed to Holocaust survivors by claiming the Nazi genocide against Jewish people was "not about race." She has been apologizing ever since, and now ABC has suspended her for two weeks from her shtick on The View.

The Goldberg fiasco got me to wondering: what does science have to say about races within the human species? More to the point, what do geneticists have to say about races after more than half a century of studying human DNA? Well, as it turns out they have some very interesting things to say.

Geneticists say there really are no human races. None. After examining DNA from people across the Earth, geneticists say all humans are, at minimum, 99.9% genetically identical. Somewhat shockingly, they have found more genetic variation between types of Chimpanzees than between types of humans. In a seminal paper on the subject, the American Association of Physical Anthropologists writes, "Race is not a useful framework for discussing or investigating human biological variation and continuing to use it stalls science more than advances it."

So does that mean there is no such thing as racism? Of course not. Racism is very real. But it is hugely important to understand that race for humans has no scientific basis. Race is only real as a cultural construct, a social invention. Its only basis in reality is what we choose to make of it.

Or not make of it. Since the idea of human races has no scientific basis, we may literally reject race-based thinking and the racism that goes with it. By rejecting the very idea of human races, we may eradicate that damaging social construct from our lived reality.

I don't know about you, but personally I find that rather empowering.

Other made up constructs that we use in our modern society... Money and government.

Both made up for the benefit of society.
That your work equals an amount of whatever is arbritarily deemed "value".

The notion that income/earnings = your labor times the amount of X

The notion that your labor is worth enough to take your value and give some of your value to others.

Notions of justice, good and evil, of law, of order, of punishment and rewards

If I followed a clock that was 99.9% accurate in less than a year I would be getting to work after the office was closed.

In people, that .1% makes up so many obvious differences there isn't any reason to believe there aren't just as many not-so-obvious differences as well. Not saying one is inferior or superior to the other, but the differences are definitely there. To pretend they aren't is a fool's errand.

Depending on the scaling, that small percentage point can account for pretty much any and every visible difference including heights, sizes, colors.

Edit. Its estimated that the human genome have between 20,000 and 25,000 individual genes. 0.1% of that is between 20 and 25. That much variance is enough with all the possible permutations to account for practically every difference, outside of diet and exercise level

" But it is hugely important to understand that race for humans has no scientific basis. Race is only real as a cultural construct, a social invention. Its only basis in reality is what we choose to make of it.

Some races get sickle cell anemia, some don't. Some races are more susceptible to diabetes than others. Some races are more prone to heart disease than others. Etc. I'm pretty sure there is science involved in figuring out why.

I'm also pretty sure sociology is considered a science. Just say'n.

Last Edited:
Personally I have enough real problems to deal with without having to invent fake ones (like the color of my skin is different from yours) to keep me busy.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top