JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What, exactly, are these 'common sense' gun 'reforms' antis want?

There was much news over the weekend, the most recent being a piece in yesterday's Christian Science Monitor, quoting would-be president Hillary Rodham Clinton, who said Saturday that the nation needs "common-sense gun control reforms."

<broken link removed>

Yep, aim for the stars, and take what ever they can get. I know the anti's couldn't give two craps about the root causes of these shootings, but what about the fact that the one thing these young men have in common is they had all been on some type of antidepressant drugs in the past. I have not heard one of the politicos say anything about this, just needed "common sense" gun control.

If you look at Obama's Now is the Time plan [1], the goal is to:

1) universal background checks
2) ban assault weapons
3) ban high capacity magazines
And presidential hopeful Martin O'Malley parrots Obama's plan [2] by writing:

I'm doubling down, and I need your help. What we did in Maryland should be the first step of what we do as a nation. The NRA is already blaming the victims of yesterday's shooting for their own deaths, saying that they too should have been armed. Let's put an end to this madness and finally stand up to them. Here are some steps we should be taking:
    1. A national assault weapons ban.
    2. Stricter background checks.
    3. Efforts to reduce straw-buying, like fingerprint requirements.
None of the GOP candidates are even close on this issue – and some actually believe that things like background checks are excessive, or that high-capacity magazines are a basic right. Well, I believe we all have a basic right to safe schools, safe places to worship, and safe streets. Are you with me?
Martin O'Malley

these young men have in common is they had all been on some type of antidepressant drugs in the past. I have not heard one of the politicos say anything about this, just needed "common sense" gun control.

Obama's Now is the Time plan calls for increased mental health services. Many things the government promises never materializes except for the erosion of civil liberties.

Sources
[1] <broken link removed>
[2] http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/06/evaluating_the_lefts_madness_on_gun_control.html

Last Edited:
Yep, aim for the stars, and take what ever they can get. I know the anti's couldn't give two craps about the root causes of these shootings, but what about the fact that the one thing these young men have in common is they had all been on some type of antidepressant drugs in the past. I have not heard one of the politicos say anything about this, just needed "common sense" gun control.
Something else these perps have in common is a leaning towards the views of the Democratic Party. Study every mass shooter and you can easily see the pattern.

"Common Sense" is an adjective, but when liberals nominalized it, the term becomes a meme.

Sits nicely with other liberal memes; "Fair Share", "Choice", "Democrat", "Gay", "Man's World", "Women's Lib", "Right to life", "Affirmative Action".

And it becomes one word when the emperor uses it . . . "commonsense."
It rhymes with nonsense. It is interesting, both words mean the same thing.

Sheldon

Unless Mr. O'Malley is willing to go door to door in order to collect guns (which I promise he will surely run out of people to help him in his quest in a hurry) "Common Sense" Gun reforms would actually be something like:

1) Death Penalty for any felons using guns in any crime.
2) Life in Prison for any felon caught in possession of firearms
3) Background check system that incorporates ACTUAL mentally ill people (not just vets who the VA thinks need their guns taken).
4) Invalidating lawsuits regarding the proof of a "need" to have a gun. (like having to prove a "need" to be a Catholic)

The idea of confiscation is absurd on its face, as no one I know is turning in anything. Any attempt at this will surely meet with failure, much like the Prohibition of Alcohol in the early 20th Century.

Unless Mr. O'Malley is willing to go door to door in order to collect guns (which I promise he will surely run out of people to help him in his quest in a hurry) "Common Sense" Gun reforms would actually be something like:

3) Background check system that incorporates ACTUAL mentally ill people (not just vets who the VA thinks need their guns taken).
4) Invalidating lawsuits regarding the proof of a "need" to have a gun. (like having to prove a "need" to be a Catholic)

The idea of confiscation is absurd on its face, as no one I know is turning in anything. Any attempt at this will surely meet with failure, much like the Prohibition of Alcohol in the early 20th Century.
I totally agree with all 4 of the above reforms. I think that #1 should be strictly enforced ~~ # 2 ~~ why support them for the rest of their lives in comfort. Take away all the amenities of prison life. It's not supposed to be a vacation with TV's / work out gyms/ free health coverage /food /heat /air conditioning.

Their entire idea of reform is to disarm any and all opposition to anything that they want.
Really that simple.

They want dominance and control over all, even their own if truth be known.

They are all self centered narcissists that feed off humanity and freedom until there is none left.
These people are the true and real enemy of this Nation.

It is time people woke up and called them what they are out in the open and across the land at a volume no one can ignore.

I always ask "to what end?" Maybe they want "the" end? But I promise that they will not find enough of anyone brave enough to actually go and "disarm" people.

Sure, they could pass a law that says "if you don't turn in your guns you are a felon and we will lock you up forever." How many would do it? It is their intention to just put a fence and a moat around Texas, the South and most of the Intermountain West? How many families would the Libturds be willing to orphan of the people the would send to get them? I would no sooner give them up without a fight to the death than I would give up my right to speak my mind here, go to the church I choose, or not be forced to incriminate myself.

As Leonides said, "you see my friend, I DID bring more soldiers than you did."

The unconstrained mind uses the law as a means, not to an end.

Like OSHA issuing citations before someone is injured....liberal ideology for laws like gun control are essentially the same as the police issuing citations for driving through a yellow light.

John Stewart Mill and William Godwin (Encyclopediaists) would be so proud of today's liberals....how they change the definition of things to suit their likes and dislikes.

The problem is that you're relying on Nine Iron's cronies to define what the terms and definitions are, and you must NEVER (let me repeat that: NEVER) let your opponent define the terms of any engagement.

My idea of common sense gun reforms is to remove all restrictions on firearms. Every one of them. When a felon gets out of jail, he can have his gun back, since he's served his time. Anyone can have any firearm they want, even machine guns with silencers. The concept of MAD, Mutually Assured Destruction, kept the Cold War cold, and the risk that anyone and everyone is armed results in a very peaceful existence indeed.

This removes all the terms and definitions since there are hardly any laws to define. That's so simple it'll never happen.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top