Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What 9mm production ammo for USPSA?

Discussion in 'Competitive Shooting' started by Modeler, May 31, 2014.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

I'm trying to find some ammo to use at the USPSA matches in June. I'll be shooting 9mm out of an M&P 9L (5" barrel). The most readily available seems to be Remington UMC 115gr, but the states velocity of 1,135 fps would give a power factor of 130.5, which isn't enough of a buffer for me to feel comfortable.

What ammunition do you all use for 9mm in USPSA?

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. nwhpfan

nwhpfan Hopville Active Member

Chrono stages don't occur in this Section for monthly matches are rare at State Level matches. I wouldn't worry about it...and I think 130 is good enough. You have just as good a chance of being 50 fps faster than 50 fps slower..

3. Modeler

So just shoot what I have, regardless of whether it meets minimum power factor?

4. nwhpfan

nwhpfan Hopville Active Member

Shoot what you have because it makes PF.... My experience, rounds run a little faster in longer bbl's anyway so you are likely above what the box says. If you "know" your under PF, declare sub minor; you can still shoot the match. Or you can try to borrow a chrono. If your really worried about being below, when you go to the match tell the MD you think you aren't making PF and ask him to run through the chrono. It's all good.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  5. PNWHunter

PNWHunter Covington, WA Member

Good advice by nwhpfan. I run speer lawman when I am looking for FMJ ball ammo that is closer to the specs of my carry ammo. But I'd just shoot the ammo you got

6. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Rem/UMC 115 will make PF easily in a 5" gun. It's a bit iffy in a 4"--depends on the gun.

130.5? Plenty of buffer. I like to load 131-132 Minor, 171-172 Major. Been Chrono'd
    MANY times. Only time I came close to going under was some 9 Major stuff loaded
    with WSF--didn't realize it was quite THAT reverse temperature sensitive--and it was
    a hot day in Pheonix.

You will not be chrono'd at a club match--and you will see plenty of those green and
    white Remington ammo boxes. If you shoot the Columbia Cascade Section
    championship match at Dundee in August, you will be chrono'd.

7. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I also have an M&P pro with the 5" barrel in 9mm and have been shooting reman Freedom Munitions for competition and practice. Decent prices and usually fast shipping. http://www.freedommunitions.com/#&panel1-3. If you're worried about having it in time for next weeks match at Albany, place an order today and then call Hannah tomorrow morning. She'll make sure your order gets in the que right away.

My gun likes both the 147 gr and 125 gr hp. The 147 impacts a bit higher than any 115 gr that I've used.

8. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

"You will not be chrono'd at a club match" Fallacy
    I had a chorno stage at 2 of the last 4 club matches.
    It can happen at any time.

9. Pepe-lepew

Pepe-lepew Mid Valley Active Member

If you don't make minor power factor you still get to shoot for no score. Any local match in the mid-valley doesn't chrono. If you run sub-minor ammo the steel calibrated targets may call you out.

I have chrono'd Remington 115 factory ammo in a 5" 1911, CZ75B, XDM 5.25. It averaged 136 to 142 PF depending on barrel length.

Modeler likes this.
  10. Modeler

Well, good enough then. I'll run 115 gr UMC, sounds like I should make power factor with my 5" barrel. I'm shooting more for fun than for points anyway.

11. PiratePast40

Modeler, are you thinking of shooting at Albany this Saturday?

12. Modeler

I'm planning on it.

13. PiratePast40

If you go, be prepared to have a lot of fun and meet a ton of good people!

14. Modeler

Thanks. I went back in March and had a great time shooting Single Stack with my 1911. I think I'll be shooting Limited with my M&P 9L so I can use the full magazine capacity.

15. PiratePast40

There are quite a few of us shooting M&Ps. All classes from production to limited to open. I'll be the one shooting with the hangover.

That extra stuff hanging over my belt that is!:D

16. Modeler

Had a good time at the Albany match today, shot well and even tried my hand as being scorekeeper on the last stage. Good to meet you @PiratePast40!

17. Pepe-lepew

Pepe-lepew Mid Valley Active Member

It was a great match. The weather was perfect. A few stages took a little strategy to shoot efficient. Over all I place nearly my best. It seemed that I was shooting slow but my times were good and shots landed well.

18. PiratePast40

Good meeting you too Modeler. Weather was definitely good but I think there were some minor earthquake swarms that moved the targets when I was shooting at them. At least, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!