JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to find some ammo to use at the USPSA matches in June. I'll be shooting 9mm out of an M&P 9L (5" barrel). The most readily available seems to be Remington UMC 115gr, but the states velocity of 1,135 fps would give a power factor of 130.5, which isn't enough of a buffer for me to feel comfortable.

What ammunition do you all use for 9mm in USPSA?

Chrono stages don't occur in this Section for monthly matches are rare at State Level matches. I wouldn't worry about it...and I think 130 is good enough. You have just as good a chance of being 50 fps faster than 50 fps slower..

Shoot what you have because it makes PF.... My experience, rounds run a little faster in longer bbl's anyway so you are likely above what the box says. If you "know" your under PF, declare sub minor; you can still shoot the match. Or you can try to borrow a chrono. If your really worried about being below, when you go to the match tell the MD you think you aren't making PF and ask him to run through the chrono. It's all good.

Last Edited:
Rem/UMC 115 will make PF easily in a 5" gun. It's a bit iffy in a 4"--depends on the gun.

130.5? Plenty of buffer. I like to load 131-132 Minor, 171-172 Major. Been Chrono'd
MANY times. Only time I came close to going under was some 9 Major stuff loaded
with WSF--didn't realize it was quite THAT reverse temperature sensitive--and it was
a hot day in Pheonix.

You will not be chrono'd at a club match--and you will see plenty of those green and
white Remington ammo boxes. If you shoot the Columbia Cascade Section
championship match at Dundee in August, you will be chrono'd.

I also have an M&P pro with the 5" barrel in 9mm and have been shooting reman Freedom Munitions for competition and practice. Decent prices and usually fast shipping. http://www.freedommunitions.com/#&panel1-3. If you're worried about having it in time for next weeks match at Albany, place an order today and then call Hannah tomorrow morning. She'll make sure your order gets in the que right away.

My gun likes both the 147 gr and 125 gr hp. The 147 impacts a bit higher than any 115 gr that I've used.

"You will not be chrono'd at a club match" Fallacy
I had a chorno stage at 2 of the last 4 club matches.
It can happen at any time.

If you don't make minor power factor you still get to shoot for no score. Any local match in the mid-valley doesn't chrono. If you run sub-minor ammo the steel calibrated targets may call you out.

I have chrono'd Remington 115 factory ammo in a 5" 1911, CZ75B, XDM 5.25. It averaged 136 to 142 PF depending on barrel length.

If you don't make minor power factor you still get to shoot for no score. Any local match in the mid-valley doesn't chrono. If you run sub-minor ammo the steel calibrated targets may call you out.

I have chrono'd Remington 115 factory ammo in a 5" 1911, CZ75B, XDM 5.25. It averaged 136 to 142 PF depending on barrel length.

Well, good enough then. I'll run 115 gr UMC, sounds like I should make power factor with my 5" barrel. I'm shooting more for fun than for points anyway.

Had a good time at the Albany match today, shot well and even tried my hand as being scorekeeper on the last stage. Good to meet you @PiratePast40!

It was a great match. The weather was perfect. A few stages took a little strategy to shoot efficient. Over all I place nearly my best. It seemed that I was shooting slow but my times were good and shots landed well.

Good meeting you too Modeler. Weather was definitely good but I think there were some minor earthquake swarms that moved the targets when I was shooting at them. At least, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top