JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My trusty Gamo Silent Cat .177 has finally given up. I was shooting it earlier today and when I pulled the trigger there was a loud rattle, much like hitting a cyclone fence with a bat. I went inside, took the gun apart, and low-and-behold, the spring is broken in three. I have contacted Gamo to see if I can get a new one. Anyone have any other ideas on where I could get one?
E73FDAE8-DBE9-4B87-BED2-2E1E10330B91.jpeg

It's a sign to join the powder burning folks!

Just kidding.

Maybe a PCP is in the future?

Hardly surprising, Gamo's are designed to break, and they won't sell you the parts you actually need, because they're business model is to sell you a rifle that breaks so you'll buy another. The marketing is part of it, hype the heck out of meaningless velocity numbers resulting from the use of ultra-light pellets that contribute to the early failure of the rifles. So, do you want to know what I really think of Gamo :rolleyes:?

If you're serious about staying in the air rifle world, rather than wasting time and money on that or another Gamo, move up a notch or two, and that means avoiding anything sold at Walmart. The next step up from a Gamo would be an RWS Diana 34. There are various models of the 34 available, there's bound to be one that will trip your trigger ;). If you're willing/able to spend a bit more, the Beeman/Weirauch R-9 is an easy choice, and if you use it for small game, try to find one in .20 caliber. Not a lot of ammo choice, but when you find what it likes, they're tack drivers, but without the loopy trajectory of most larger caliber springers. If you want it to feel like a match rifle from day one, budget another ~$100 for a Vortek tune kit, it's everything you need in a drop in kit, and well worth the cost. They also have kits for the Diana's, don't know about Gamo's, but as the cost is almost the same as a new rifle, why bother?

Now, all that said, if you're dead set on fixing your Gamo, google "spring piston tuning" and "Air Rifle Headquarters". Any questions, feel free to PM me, my air gun hobby morphed into a machining hobby because I got so into tuning/modding/building my own air guns. Later, and good luck.

Dave

Does leaving it cocked contribute to broken springs? Or is it just light ammo?

I have a Hatsan .22cal that is plenty accurate enough to take rogue critters around my property. Just had a feline pooping near my picture windows in front. Cleaning it up made my stomach roll!! No collar but it looks like others that neighbors should be keeping indoors. We have a lot of feral cats because one of the dang neighbor has got a feeding operation and I just saw a little kitten there from a fresh batch of ferals. :mad::mad::mad:

Hardly surprising, Gamo's are designed to break, and they won't sell you the parts you actually need, because they're business model is to sell you a rifle that breaks so you'll buy another. The marketing is part of it, hype the heck out of meaningless velocity numbers resulting from the use of ultra-light pellets that contribute to the early failure of the rifles. So, do you want to know what I really think of Gamo :rolleyes:?

If you're serious about staying in the air rifle world, rather than wasting time and money on that or another Gamo, move up a notch or two, and that means avoiding anything sold at Walmart. The next step up from a Gamo would be an RWS Diana 34. There are various models of the 34 available, there's bound to be one that will trip your trigger ;). If you're willing/able to spend a bit more, the Beeman/Weirauch R-9 is an easy choice, and if you use it for small game, try to find one in .20 caliber. Not a lot of ammo choice, but when you find what it likes, they're tack drivers, but without the loopy trajectory of most larger caliber springers. If you want it to feel like a match rifle from day one, budget another ~$100 for a Vortek tune kit, it's everything you need in a drop in kit, and well worth the cost. They also have kits for the Diana's, don't know about Gamo's, but as the cost is almost the same as a new rifle, why bother?

Now, all that said, if you're dead set on fixing your Gamo, google "spring piston tuning" and "Air Rifle Headquarters". Any questions, feel free to PM me, my air gun hobby morphed into a machining hobby because I got so into tuning/modding/building my own air guns. Later, and good luck.

Dave
Well this gun has lasted for 6 years and has had over 5,000 rounds through it so... and they contacted me within 4 hours and gave me the cost for a new spring that I could order. And this is the only problem I have had with this gun.
I ended up buying a gas ram that has good reviews so we will see.

Does leaving it cocked contribute to broken springs? Or is it just light ammo?

I have a Hatsan .22cal that is plenty accurate enough to take rogue critters around my property. Just had a feline pooping near my picture windows in front. Cleaning it up made my stomach roll!! No collar but it looks like others that neighbors should be keeping indoors. We have a lot of feral cats because one of the dang neighbor has got a feeding operation and I just saw a little kitten there from a fresh batch of ferals. :mad::mad::mad:
In this case I am pretty sure it is from lots of use. A spring gun should never be left cocked as it can deform the spring.

You need a nitro-piston gun instead! They can be left cocked with no problem. And, at least to me, have less of that 'forward recoil' than I feel in traditional spring guns. They're not impacted by low temperatures either. I don't know for sure, but I think it may be possible to have your gun retrofit with the nitro piston - I know Gamo does have guns with them. I've got a couple of guns with nitro pistons and it's the only way I'd go now.

Not Gamo, I know, just informational:

rifle-crosman-benjamin-trail-np2-synthetic-1100fps-55mm-D_NQ_NP_927305-MLA20847541138_082016-F.jpg

Well this gun has lasted for 6 years and has had over 5,000 rounds through it so... and they contacted me within 4 hours and gave me the cost for a new spring that I could order. And this is the only problem I have had with this gun.
I ended up buying a gas ram that has good reviews so we will see.

5K is good longevity from a Gamo spring, and it sounds like they've cleaned up their CS act in the last few years. Gas rams are cool, and a viable solution to some of the issues inherent with steel springs. I found the feel of a gas ram different, not better or worse, just different. Just an FYI, but some folks have seen a loss of power with them in very cold weather. Did you order new piston and breech seals while you were at it? If not, I'd call them back, they're consumables just like springs.

Bbbass, leaving them cocked can contribute to spring breakage, but it usually just resets the spring to a shorter length, thus reducing power. Which isn't always a bad thing, most of them are rather over sprung, reducing the spring power frequently results in a smoother, nicer shooting rifle. BTW, this doesn't apply to gas rams/springs, they can be left cocked for very long periods with no problems.

The primary reasons for spring breakage are wear, dry firing, or using too light a pellet. Oh, and one other thing. NEVER put petroleum based anything in a springer through the hole behind the pellet chamber, it causes dieseling, which is exactly what it sounds like. If your air gun ever sounds like a firearm, it's dieseling, which may sound cool, but it does nothing for accuracy, and will destroy a rifle in short order. And don't use those stupid felt cleaning "pellets", they're no different than a dry fire.

Some say too heavy a pellet is bad as well, not sure I agree, but there is a sweet spot for most springers, and it's usually in the mid-weight range for caliber. Best to leave the heavies to the PCP's, and the ultralights in the trash. Later.

Dave

You need a nitro-piston gun instead! They can be left cocked with no problem. And, at least to me, have less of that 'forward recoil' than I feel in traditional spring guns. They're not impacted by low temperatures either. I don't know for sure, but I think it may be possible to have your gun retrofit with the nitro piston - I know Gamo does have guns with them. I've got a couple of guns with nitro pistons and it's the only way I'd go now.

Not Gamo, I know, just informational:

View attachment 505855
I ended up getting a gas ram system that is a replacement for the spring made by a company called Custom Air Seals based out of Australia.

Last Edited:
5K is good longevity from a Gamo spring, and it sounds like they've cleaned up their CS act in the last few years. Gas rams are cool, and a viable solution to some of the issues inherent with steel springs. I found the feel of a gas ram different, not better or worse, just different. Just an FYI, but some folks have seen a loss of power with them in very cold weather. Did you order new piston and breech seals while you were at it? If not, I'd call them back, they're consumables just like springs.

Bbbass, leaving them cocked can contribute to spring breakage, but it usually just resets the spring to a shorter length, thus reducing power. Which isn't always a bad thing, most of them are rather over sprung, reducing the spring power frequently results in a smoother, nicer shooting rifle. BTW, this doesn't apply to gas rams/springs, they can be left cocked for very long periods with no problems.

The primary reasons for spring breakage are wear, dry firing, or using too light a pellet. Oh, and one other thing. NEVER put petroleum based anything in a springer through the hole behind the pellet chamber, it causes dieseling, which is exactly what it sounds like. If your air gun ever sounds like a firearm, it's dieseling, which may sound cool, but it does nothing for accuracy, and will destroy a rifle in short order. And don't use those stupid felt cleaning "pellets", they're no different than a dry fire.

Some say too heavy a pellet is bad as well, not sure I agree, but there is a sweet spot for most springers, and it's usually in the mid-weight range for caliber. Best to leave the heavies to the PCP's, and the ultralights in the trash. Later.

Dave
I did order a new piston and breach seals and I am aware that they can lose a bit of power but I am not too worried since I do most of my hunting in summer and fall. I have had very good luck with Crosman 7.9gr pellets but want to give some Diablo Exacts a try.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top