JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I live outside town and still use a large livetrap. use marshmallows as bait and the cats will stay out, and if they do get caught they wont get caught twice. I don't shoot anything in the traps because that causes things to not go to there, you may need to invest in a 60 gallon drum without the top, or a stock tank to wash your livetrap off in while the offending animal is still inside, and wait 15 minutes before emptying it out too.

Your a good man, I can tell. Odd, or not... We don't really realize what sucked about our childhoods. A lot of subtle things I think about now that could have been better in our household. Having parents that grew up in families without a lot of affection. Parents that grew up dirt poor and had a work ethic that put the children in second place to the desire to earn everything they could. Their hard work for close to 50 years is paying now though, but things that my peers grew up with were lacking for me.

Man, you can't dwell on the past. I prefer to believe that anything I lack is due to my own "Self".
So true. When you're young, things sure look different than they do a couple decades later. My grandfather grew up in the early part of the 20th century and lived through the depression. I'm sure his perspectives heavily influenced my dad. The way he did things drove me absolutely nuts. The farm was top priority in his life, with everything else a distant second. You didn't go into town unless there was a darn good farm-related reason. He never had any hobbies or interests besides the farm. He hated my interest in guns, and told me so on various occasions. He was a hard-core 2A supporter in principle, but he didn't like guns.

You also never really know how a person will react to loss, and who they are will sometimes surprise you. There's a piece of property that's been in the family for a half century. I love it there, and visit every time we're in the area. My folks have been telling me for the last 20 years that it's "probably your inheritance". My wife and I have had thoughts for years how we could build a house and retire there some day. I know every square inch of the acreage, the trees, woods, creek, etc., as I've roamed it my whole life.

Literally the day after my dad passed, my mom told us she's selling it. The sale closed today, and it's gone forever. It feels like another death in the family.

Sorry for the thread drift everyone.

Last Edited:
Literally the day after my dad passed, my mom told us she's selling it. The sale closed today, and it's gone forever.
The exact same thing happened just recently with a good friend of mine - the only difference being it was property owned by his MIL and not HIS mother.

We didn't delve into it too deeply and I didn't ask any questions.

It was obvious it affected him more than I think he realized he was expressing to me.

Bottom line ? - It ain't yours until the deed, title, keys, whatever etc. are in your hand......

In my friends' case I think he was 'expecting' it to be something that would dramatically improve his, and his wife's lifestyle (but more HIS maybe) but that was just my 'take' on it knowing them both well.

It has sure affected me a lot more than I expected it would. I didn't realize how much the dream of living there had grown in my mind. It never was mine legally; but I had always thought that our family was tighter than that. I also never realized that my dad was the one who was holding onto it for me.
Same happened to me when my grandfather died. Had 20 acres up by a lake in North Idaho where I would spend my summers as a boy exploring the woods and getting in trouble. Grandpa set aside 5 acres for me specifically to inherit. Then my uncle got power of attorney when grandpa got sick and sold it to pad his inheritance. I have never forgiven him.

And all this over getting rid of racoons! LOL. Let go of the "mommy-Daddy stuff. "The way that ya' wonder is the way that ya' choose...." Happy New Year all! May God save our USA in 2021.

1) "That's way worse than the sickos that feed squirrels here in the city.!"
What really cheesed me off was the neighbor who fed the pigeons in Long Beach, DPRK. There's not much that's nastier than a flock (tribe, troop, murder?) of pigeons. They really are fun to shoot with an air rifle.

2) Post #36: "Got a Gamo Whisper. It really cracked with light .177 pellets so I got on line and found airgundepot.com. Ordered some 11 gr pellets. Very quiet. Neighbors will not hear this. One shot kills on coons."
I have a .177 cal. HW77K, which I have not found to be adequate for anything bigger or tougher than a pigeon. I sure wouldn't use it on anything as big as a 'coon. Which brings me to the meat of my question - What is the Gamo's M/V, and do you accredit the lethality to velocity or the 11 gr pellets? The HW77K runs in the mid-800s and likes heavy pellets.

3) "See, out of the two sons my parents had, I was the bad son."
I was turned into the bad son (only child) when I discovered choppers and the alternative social millieu concomitant thereto.
My mother didn't like my girl friend or any of my several bikes. Been together with The Beloved for 52 years, married for 51 years (that's what matters the most to me), and had the present running bike for 30 years. I can live with it.
Childhood was idyllic - right out of "Leave it to Beaver." I became persona non grata when I was old enough to think for myself. Thank God I was on loving terms with my Dad for as long as he lived.

4) " I have an estranged brother too. Probably my fault we never got along. But I also think he's a stuck-up dick"
If he's a stuck-up dick then it's not your fault.:eek:

5) " And all this over getting rid of racoons! LOL. Let go of the "mommy-Daddy stuff. "The way that ya' wonder is the way that ya' choose...." Happy New Year all! May God save our USA in 2021."
We have a family of 'coons that reside in the surrounding terra ingognita - we see their tracks, but since they aren't causing us any problems we live and let live. We recently became aware of a juvenile possum taking an interest in the crabapples falling on the lawn. It looks like a giant rat with white face. For now I'm leaving it alone as long as it causes us no problems.

Last Edited:
trash-panda-loves.jpg

Air rifles are incredible and legal almost anywhere (if you're not in a stupid homeowners association) and if you don't get caught. They come in MANY calibers and are deadly as heck if utilized properly. Go for a head shot on a coon because they're friggin hearty animals.

That said, under 200 bucks and you're still playing with a daisy red rider pop gun, not effective, but a used one someone upgraded from might be had for around $200 of you search long enough and there's no FFL stuff required.

Here's what would concern me. Say you pop that racoon and It limps off into the dark. You're not going to chase it at night through the neighbors yards? Two days later some neighborhood animal lover finds it and risks life and limb to get it to a vet. I don't know? "Dove Lewis", in the middle of the night. Next thing you know all them back-door, nextdoor, what ever, people, are calling the papers and TV news and telling them that someone is harming wildlife. WITH A GUN!!! But I'm in the central city of potland, that's just how I could see going down in these hoods.

Here's what would concern me. Say you pop that racoon and It limps off into the dark. You're not going to chase it at night through the neighbors yards? Two days later some neighborhood animal lover finds it and risks life and limb to get it to a vet. I don't know? "Dove Lewis", in the middle of the night. Next thing you know all them back-door, nextdoor, what ever, people, are calling the papers and TV news and telling them that someone is harming wildlife. WITH A GUN!!! But I'm in the central city of potland, that's just how I could see going down in these hoods.
Tell the authorities that you were protesting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top