JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never figured out how you would put a scope on a savage 99 - what with that odd-looking 'bent' receiver. TBH, I've never seen one with a scope - only Williams, Lyman or Redfield-type peeps.

IMO the El Paso weavers were the Deusenberg's of American optics. Bearing in mind that for just one measly one-C note you can pick up an all-steel, all-American scope of astounding quality - easily up there with German stuff of the same era, that is holding it's own today. The K31 is not a pussycat in the kicker department - that 174gr bullet at 2650 fps is mean at both ends for the careless holder. As an example, that 3-9x40 you see above cost me $45 a couple of years back in a little store not far from the border with the next state down from Oregon. I got three more Weaver scopes with it for a total of $105, including a rare 3/4" rimfire scope - WITH its Weaver mounts!
here is a savage 99 with a scope, was my dad's rifle originally fitted with a 3x fixed Leupold it has a vx-3, 3 x 9 x 40 on it now

phone pics 052.jpg

I did some research and found that Savage started offering the 1899 in 30-30 that same year. I had thought they were more resistant to offering competitor's calibers than that.

The .303 Savage case is fatter at the base than a 30-30, so it is not safe to fire them in a .303 Savage, and precludes using that brass. It appears that your friend is fortunate to have a rifle in a caliber that is common!
As the rifle was sold here in UK, and was made in Utica, it had to be proofed - this one in the London Proof House. It is unlikely that the proof house made a mistake in proofing it and stamping it with .30-30cal if it had been .303 Savage. This rifle was made in 1903.

Cool rifle then! I've run across a few dozen 99s in my time. Never saw one in
30-30. Until today I wasn't aware that chambering existed.
I have one in the closet, in really rough shape, the stock is broken, it's rusty, the action still works and would most likely fire. looked up the #'s once and if I remember correctly it is over 100 years old.

What's the correct Lyman peep sight?

Does your friend cast bullets or did he ever find any to feed his Savage?
No, he never found the correct bullets, and he doesn't cast anything, not being a m/l shooter either. I'm sorry, but I don't know the correct Lyman or Williams tang sight numbers. I reckon that they must be Savage Model 99 specific due to the rather steep angle of the pistol grip at the point they are attached. I'll ask him to bring it along next Wednesday so I can take pics.

UPDATE - ten minutes ago - Alan tells me that he no longer has the rifle on his 'ticket', having given up on it for lack of correct bullets. :(

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top