JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's just face it. We live in the most advanced surveillance police state on the planet, but we are free lol.

Many Chinese citizens go their whole life without direct contact with anyone from their government. Surveillance is fairly scarce. You can probably run to the corner store without being caught on 100 cameras, your license plate tagged, GPS tracked, facial rec at the ATM, etc.

Both the governments can and will throw citizenry into a hole to never be seen again, without representation, rights or trial for no declared reason so I guess we are tied in that regard. We both do great things like torture.

But screw them. We are the ones that are free. Smell the freedom, it is growing.

Last Edited:
Why would DEQ be concerned about GPS. I thought they hooked up to the computer diagnostic interface and looked for emission trouble codes, not where your driving too.

I had a 1980 Chevy van that burned a fair amount of oil, and all I did to pass DEQ was put some cardboard in front of the radiator, pour 2 bottles of "Heet" into half a tank of gas and run it in on the freeway a bit to get the Cat real hot, and it passed with flying colors.
Still doesn't answer my question regarding why GPS is anyway important to DEQ.
That device will only come into play when the state/city starts to tax you on where you drive the vehicle, not on how much fuel you purchase.

I had a 1980 Chevy van that burned a fair amount of oil, and all I did to pass DEQ was put some cardboard in front of the radiator, pour 2 bottles of "Heet" into half a tank of gas and run it in on the freeway a bit to get the Cat real hot, and it passed with flying colors.
Still doesn't answer my question regarding why GPS is anyway important to DEQ.
That device will only come into play when the state/city starts to tax you on where you drive the vehicle, not on how much fuel you purchase.

The NSA can get into any computer or smartphone they want. Do you really think they can't get into things like OnStar too? That's why.

You got the answer, you just don't agree with it. It is hard to pass older vehicles through DEQ. That's why.

I'm not arguing that the NSA can't break into any wireless device, I am questioning why you think that DEQ uses the GPS capabilities of a car to run an emissions test.
They always hook up a test lead to the computer if it has one.

"By the way, we don't supply that data to anyone," Farley assured attendees.

Yeah sure you don't. :rolleyes:

Just how stupid do they think we are??

Actually pretty stupid - but given recent events with the NSA, many people are becoming more aware, and even those who have been saying all along that the gov. was tracking much of our activities and comms were amazed at some of the data that is being gathered.

IMO Snowden did everybody in the world a huge service by leaking that info.

The reasons the gov. is so pissed off at him is not because that info was secret from our enemies - they knew this was happening - but because the info embarrassed the gov. in front of the public who was blissfully unaware and is now putting pressure on the gov. to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW - none of my vehicles has a GPS in it.

I will probably never get one with GPS intentionally; 99% of the time I don't need it - I mostly just drive to and from work, run some errands and so on. I already know how to get to work, where my grocery store is and so on. I also know how to get home from just about anywhere I go.

I would guess most people don't use their car navigation systems near as much as they thought they would when they bought the car. To me, it is just wasted money.

I only use GPS in my semi only I go to so many different places with pick ups and deliveries. It stores the locations because sometimes I may not go back to there for a month or more. I am all over OR and WA . The one good thing is I am learning all of both states.

On Board Dianostics (OBD for short) First was OBD 1 then OBD 2 last is OBD 3.
The OBD 3 is what is in place now. Complete computer engene montering which can be transmitted via satilite to a monitoring location. Includes ability to shut engine off, vehicle location, vehicle speed, DEQ complience. Don't know how far this has gone on personel rigs but on Semi's it is 100% active.

My semi is a 93 kw very little computer stuff parked about 12 miles from my abode.

Cummings engine? Its the big box with a bunch of wires running into it. It may be on the side of your engine. No box, no run. The computer may also be some where else in your truck. If you don't have the computer box you engine may be older then your truck. Got a tatle tale in the cab??

There's an article in the recent Popular Mechanics about this sort of thing. All automakers, not just Ford, use the "black box" and have for quite a while. Some systems are more easily tracked, such as GM's OnStar and Fords with the InSync systems. If you have a new vehicle, you're trackable.
The "black Box" is directly tied to the vehicles computer. I don't believe you could remove it and still get the car to run.
The bump on the roof was the radio antennae. Some have it, others use a different method.
In this area, if you want to be "untrackable" you would need to avoid the city and major highways, plus have an older vehicle.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews