JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just tried the sample test online for fun.

First, a little background. I am not a hunter. I don't know much about rifles and shotguns, or bows and arrows. I wouldn't know trail-carry from Drew Carey.

Still got 84% right.:)

A little about myself, I have been collecting and shooting guns for the last 8 years, I go bird hunting every year (geese, duck, quail,....) I own at least 10 long guns, and 15 pistols, I even have a suppressor pending on a form 4... I have been to several ccw type safety classes/ events, I shoot everything from long range >600yds to plinking at <3yds.... I won state trapshooting in highschool.... I have completed and have on file the safety forms at the CMP!!!

Heres my beef... I went down to wallyworld and was denied a hunting licence... :complain: I guess I had never had my hunting licence before in washington state... and my birthday falls after 1972.

for me to get one, I must take a class with a bunch of 16yr olds... This really pisses me off!!! just another way to steal money from the public.... Thanks WDFW!!!

well i'm advocate for hunters safety cause i have had rifles aimed at me while hunting and i ware orange i've had bullets wiz over my head cause a deer got between me and another hunter, and a neighbor of mine when i was a kid was shot and killed by his son (gut shot) on a hunting trip with a "unloaded rifle" at camp . and i have seen yahoos do stupid things like shooting a doe during hunting buck season.
granted you have had a lot of experience with guns but there are many who have not so the has to apply to all i'm sure the state does not have the time or resources to check out your experience level make you exempt . You should be greatfull for such a requirement as some people don't have the knowledge of gun safety that you do.

I wish oregon had that law

do a search on hunting accidents in Washington and Oregon . check out the fatality counts

in that case from what you are saying they should not sell guns to people that dont have a safety course...

Hmmm.........

No. he is saying that a person that goes and buys that gun or guns should take the time to learn how to use it properly and safely. I see many people in the stores aiming guns at people and even though they are unloaded its just stupid. When I buy a new table saw I take the time to read the instructions to make sure I keep my hands or when I started to reload I took the time to make sure I was doing it right so I did not blow myself up. This is common sense and if someone did not handle a firearm before they should learn common safety before carry, shooting, and hunting.

Not that my parents are Hoarders, but I'm really glad they hang on to things for a long time. I hunted before, but got my first deer back in High School ...1992ish and apparently you're supposed to keep the Tag on the fridge in case the "Gameys" ever wanted to know why you had wrapped deer in the fridge. (I don't know about that, but it's what we do in our family)

Long story short, I had a lot of other hobby's at the time and hunting went on the back burner. The good thing is, the meat is long gone, but my paper tag from the good old days is still taped to the freezer in the garage so I can get my license back without doing the hunter safety training again.

Hurray for Dads!

Eddie

they are trying to protect you from the guy who goes to the store and buys a license a gun and ammo and heads out to the wood because he saw it on t.v. and it sounded like a good idea.

+1 to that. Lots of lives have been lost to people shooting at brush, and by people who don't have the first idea about what they're doing with a gun.

Call me a left winger, but you need to take a test to get a drivers license, even if your grandpa taught you to drive when you were 10 and you're a really good driver and all that. I don't do anything wrong with my guns so I don't care if I have to wait 3 days for a pistol or fill out some extra paperwork.

Eddie
Just because you can have a firearm, doesn't mean you should

Two years ago they forced me to drive for 4hrs to get my old safety course proof from my parents house because their database crashed and they lost all their historical records from the 1980's. Nice huh... I'm glad they had their funding cut last year because they are very sloppy with their records and backups. Save your old licenses!!!

....and I'd say a right to hunt is a God given right - not a privilege as they like to say with everything nowadays.

So if someone who is 25 years old moves to Washington, say from Oregon, was licensed the previous year in Oregon, now has to take the "hunter safety" course in order to obtain a license in Washington ? What about out of state hunters who fit in this category ??........:huh:

I just went through this, this year trying to get my turkey license. I have never hunted in Washington in the last 7 years I have been a resident. Moved here from Montana where I took hunters education when I was 12 and bow hunters education when I was 16. I tried to get my license at, then sportsman's warehouse. They said the same thing that if i was born after 1972 then I had to go through the course. I asked them if I provided documentation from another state would that work? They said that it will. I then called the Montana fish and game, they directed me to their website and i printed off my certificate. I took it in to sportsman's and they gave me my license. :s0155:

So according to Washington Fish and game if you have gone through a hunters education that is recognized by the fish and game, no matter what state you completed it in, you have satisfied that requirement. The only problem is that you have to prove it. Do as I did and just call your the local office of where you received it and you should be able to get a hold of it.

Hope this clears up some confusion but you shouldn't have to go through the course if you don't want to.
:DOtis:D

there are a lot of people who own many guns and are great shooters, but that doesnt make them a competent hunter. we had a family friend who was a police armorer and a member of the cert team back in the 80's. we were glassing on a ridge and he told my dad while looking through his scope " theres a guy shi%%ing in the trees over there" all of this while looking through the scope of a loaded rifle. when my dad started laying into him he said it was ok because his safety was on. he should have known better and we never hunted with him again.

I like to know that the people at least know a little bit about safety. it may irritate you, but it makes me feel better, and more and more states are requiring it, and i think its a good thing.

I took the course about 3 years ago at 48 with a room fulll of kids, for the simple reason that you must have a hunters safety course card in some states, regardless of age, to get a tag.
I also did not have to do the fram firing since I am an experinced shooter. I wrote a 98 on the test.
Don't worry about losing your card. WA state DFW maintains the records in case you lose your cards.

in that case from what you are saying they should not sell guns to people that dont have a safety course...

Hmmm.........

Yeh Maybe that would make more sense and do more good than bans and restrictions maybe if people were educated on just how deadly they might think twice before doing something stupid one of the reasons our rights are in danger because of lack of knowledge

for example

My nephew had 2 friends one his best these guys came from a no gun home no one told them not to play with guns and not to aim at each other what they learned about guns they learned from violent video games well they turned 18 and went out and got some guns my nephew was at their house and one of them had started aiming a shot gun at him i had told him years ago never to trust a "unloaded weapon or a safety" and if ever around others that are Playing with guns and not following the safety rules i told him to leave . He told them to stop or he would leave so they stopped a couple weeks later one shot and killed the other one

now imagine these guys out in the woods hunting in your area maybe the same area with your son or daughter both 18 and in oregon they do not have to have a hunters safety class

i do understand your feelings about having to take the class , maybe they should offer a pretest to older guys to see if they even need to take the class but keep in mind hunter safety is somewhat different than range safety

if u know everything like u say u do u should be able to pass the course on line without studying, so pay your 20 bucks and get your 100%, i bet u fail it without studying though.

if u know everything like u say u do u should be able to pass the course on line without studying, so pay your 20 bucks and get your 100&#37;, i bet u fail it without studying though.

are you talking to me? you know it really helps when you use quotes when refering to other posts... I would also recommend learning to type in a manner that appears as if your on a computer vs. a random text message.

on to your text message to (I would assume ME)... No, I do not know everything. And I did not say that I did. I was simply giving background or as one might state "setting up the question."

Unless it has gone up since last week, it is $15 to take. And that was part of my point. I guess I can go over it again for u.

Point 1- I dident belive I needed to take a safety class
Point 2- I belive it is just another revenue channel for WDFW

On to the last part of your text message to me... I dont care If I get a 1% on the test as long as that is what is required of me to pass. Having taken the practice test, and having scored Well over 85% I do belive that I will pass the test with out any form of studying.

So as the final part of your TEXT states that you will bet me... let's make a wager... What do you Bet???

are you talking to me? you know it really helps when you use quotes when refering to other posts... I would also recommend learning to type in a manner that appears as if your on a computer vs. a random text message.

on to your text message to (I would assume ME)... No, I do not know everything. And I did not say that I did. I was simply giving background or as one might state "setting up the question."

Unless it has gone up since last week, it is $10 to take. And that was part of my point. I guess I can go over it again for u.

Point 1- I dident belive I needed to take a safety class
Point 2- I belive it is just another revenue channel for WDFW

On to the last part of your text message to me... I dont care If I get a 1% on the test as long as that is what is required of me to pass. Having taken the practice test, and having scored Well over 75% I do belive that I will pass the test with out any form of studying.

So as the final part of your TEXT states that you will bet me... let's make a wager... What do you Bet???

I fail to see where you get the 10 dollar figure. Is this the charge for doing i t on-line?
All huunter ed course I know of are free. But then i only know of the ones in Sshelton, Olympia, Lacey, Silverdale, Gig Harbor, Fife,

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top