Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WDFD Is Rediculous!!!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Iansstud, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

A little about myself, I have been collecting and shooting guns for the last 8 years, I go bird hunting every year (geese, duck, quail,....) I own at least 10 long guns, and 15 pistols, I even have a suppressor pending on a form 4... I have been to several ccw type safety classes/ events, I shoot everything from long range >600yds to plinking at <3yds.... I won state trapshooting in highschool.... I have completed and have on file the safety forms at the CMP!!!

Heres my beef... I went down to wallyworld and was denied a hunting licence... :complain: I guess I had never had my hunting licence before in washington state... and my birthday falls after 1972.

for me to get one, I must take a class with a bunch of 16yr olds... This really pisses me off!!! just another way to steal money from the public.... Thanks WDFW!!!

2. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

I feel you pain. Sorry to hear that. It is only if you are under 18 here in Oregon. Seems pretty old up there to be asking you to take a class.

3. Iansstud

i'm 25 this sucks

4. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

Is this something new? I assume you have had a licence in the past.Did you take your old licence in with you? Did wdfd pass some new rules?

5. Iansstud

I have only had my bird hunting licence, not my small game, I've had my oregon licence for big and small game, but that wont work... This sucks, I guess its 16+ hrs, and I have to wait to get enrolled, Im not sure how much $$$ it will cost... I have always hunted yotes, and rock chucks, but it was on my property.... (pest control)

6. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

The cost here is pretty low. $10
    It should not be to much.

7. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

So if someone who is 25 years old moves to Washington, say from Oregon, was licensed the previous year in Oregon, now has to take the "hunter safety" course in order to obtain a license in Washington ? What about out of state hunters who fit in this category ??........:huh:

8. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't), I was born in 1972 - but just barely over the line where you need to have a hunters safety class. I took my hunters safety class before this law was enacted, so I'm fine. However, now I have to need to keep track of my proof of completion so I don't have to take it again.

9. Iansstud

once you take the test, or have a licence from wa. state, you no longer need to worry about it... I guess they keep on record your past licence info...

10. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Here is a link to take it online: http://www.hunter-ed.com/wa/

All individuals born after Jan 1, 1972 have to take it. What the hey I took it for fun and got an 87, I thought not bad. So you don't have to sit with the kids you can sit at your pc and do it.

11. bwells

bwells Longview Member

I lost my safety card a couple years ago. Washington keeps the info. in their computers, but there's a form on the WDFW site that you can mail in, and for $8 they'll send you a new card. It says that the new cards are like a credit card, so they're easier to carry around. My old one was about 4" by 4" laminated.

Washington has an online option for the hunter safety courses. Doing it online, you only have to go in for I think one day for the test and shoot. There's more info. here:

http://www.hunter-ed.com/wa/

12. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

but in Washington they say it's a privilege to fish or hunt it should be a right.

13. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

If you have taken and passed an Oregon Hunters safety class you will also qualify. My sons and I took the class last year and enjoyed it! It was only $10 for a lot of class time, it's possible this might also qualify for you for an Oregon CHL. 2 people in the class got 100&#37; (my son and I) and got gift certificates for $10 each plus everyone will receive other discount cards that will be worth more than the tuition.

14. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

I just took the practice exam cold and got a 87. Dang, missed some easy ones, knew the right answer after reviewing the test.....:D

15. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

I moved to Colorado when I was in my middle 30's and had to take their hunter safety class in order to purchase a big game license. I thought it was a joke at first because I had been hunting for a long time also. I took the course and ended up enjoying and benefiting from it. It was a good review of the basics and an excellent source of information regarding mountain safety and the Colorado game laws which differed from other states I had hunted in. I also ended up meeting a couple of people that ultimately became hunting partners and friends. In short, it turned out pretty well and I learned some things from it despite my intitial attitude about it.

16. Iansstud

I just got a 89&#37; 1st try, and missed all the bows and arrows questions

17. Scott

Pay and take it then and you are done..... All in the comfort of your own home.

18. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this - I haven't looked at this in a while. Despite the fact that it has been years since I took the hunters safety course, I got a 72/75 on my test.

Good to know - I should do this since my old card is practically in tatters.

19. Scott

20. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

The class here in Oregon is not bad. I sat through it with my Son, and learned quite a bit. It took it when I was 14 (I am over 40 now), but stuff has changed or had been forgotten. It was well worth my time.