JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A little about myself, I have been collecting and shooting guns for the last 8 years, I go bird hunting every year (geese, duck, quail,....) I own at least 10 long guns, and 15 pistols, I even have a suppressor pending on a form 4... I have been to several ccw type safety classes/ events, I shoot everything from long range >600yds to plinking at <3yds.... I won state trapshooting in highschool.... I have completed and have on file the safety forms at the CMP!!!

Heres my beef... I went down to wallyworld and was denied a hunting licence... :complain: I guess I had never had my hunting licence before in washington state... and my birthday falls after 1972.

for me to get one, I must take a class with a bunch of 16yr olds... This really pisses me off!!! just another way to steal money from the public.... Thanks WDFW!!!

I have only had my bird hunting licence, not my small game, I've had my oregon licence for big and small game, but that wont work... This sucks, I guess its 16+ hrs, and I have to wait to get enrolled, Im not sure how much $$$ it will cost... I have always hunted yotes, and rock chucks, but it was on my property.... (pest control)

So if someone who is 25 years old moves to Washington, say from Oregon, was licensed the previous year in Oregon, now has to take the "hunter safety" course in order to obtain a license in Washington ? What about out of state hunters who fit in this category ??........:huh:

If it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't), I was born in 1972 - but just barely over the line where you need to have a hunters safety class. I took my hunters safety class before this law was enacted, so I'm fine. However, now I have to need to keep track of my proof of completion so I don't have to take it again.

If it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't), I was born in 1972 - but just barely over the line where you need to have a hunters safety class. I took my hunters safety class before this law was enacted, so I'm fine. However, now I have to need to keep track of my proof of completion so I don't have to take it again.

once you take the test, or have a licence from wa. state, you no longer need to worry about it... I guess they keep on record your past licence info...

However, now I have to need to keep track of my proof of completion so I don't have to take it again.

I lost my safety card a couple years ago. Washington keeps the info. in their computers, but there's a form on the WDFW site that you can mail in, and for $8 they'll send you a new card. It says that the new cards are like a credit card, so they're easier to carry around. My old one was about 4" by 4" laminated.

Washington has an online option for the hunter safety courses. Doing it online, you only have to go in for I think one day for the test and shoot. There's more info. here:

http://www.hunter-ed.com/wa/

If you have taken and passed an Oregon Hunters safety class you will also qualify. My sons and I took the class last year and enjoyed it! It was only $10 for a lot of class time, it's possible this might also qualify for you for an Oregon CHL. 2 people in the class got 100&#37; (my son and I) and got gift certificates for $10 each plus everyone will receive other discount cards that will be worth more than the tuition.

I moved to Colorado when I was in my middle 30's and had to take their hunter safety class in order to purchase a big game license. I thought it was a joke at first because I had been hunting for a long time also. I took the course and ended up enjoying and benefiting from it. It was a good review of the basics and an excellent source of information regarding mountain safety and the Colorado game laws which differed from other states I had hunted in. I also ended up meeting a couple of people that ultimately became hunting partners and friends. In short, it turned out pretty well and I learned some things from it despite my intitial attitude about it.

Here is a link to take it online: http://www.hunter-ed.com/wa/

Thanks for posting this - I haven't looked at this in a while. Despite the fact that it has been years since I took the hunters safety course, I got a 72/75 on my test.

I lost my safety card a couple years ago. Washington keeps the info. in their computers, but there's a form on the WDFW site that you can mail in, and for $8 they'll send you a new card. It says that the new cards are like a credit card, so they're easier to carry around. My old one was about 4" by 4" laminated.

Good to know - I should do this since my old card is practically in tatters.

Thanks for posting this - I haven't looked at this in a while. Despite the fact that it has been years since I took the hunters safety course, I got a 72/75 on my test.

Thats pretty good. I don't need to take it but I am going to get my master hunter card for some of the perks. But you did well and most people don't realize it's more about safety, preservation, conservation, and management than anything else and many people lack that attitude or care about it. Anyways good job on the test better than me, I got a couple extra wrong.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top