JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok have read many articles on storage and everyone seems to be a little differant. So my questions are what are you storing it in? How often do you rotate it or dump and re fill? Also do you use bleach if it has come from a treated source?

Thanks in advance:s0155:

55 gal. blue water barrels. I have cleaned and rinsed them out, and added treatment to the water. The water will last 5 years, then dump, rinse and refill. Should be good to go.
I have new water bottles you buy in a case of 24 from local store also saved up. They will last a long time if kept in cool dry place, and not opened.
I may be doing it wrong, but from what I've read online, this is how water is stored.
Costco sells the water barrel new and with a siphon pump and hose, and some treatment for the water, all for $109. free s/h. Or you can buy the barrels on craigslist for about $15 or so, then rinse them out, and fill with water and a little bit of bleach.

Stay Safe.

Old bleach bottles work. Don't rinse them out. Also to get rid of the "bleach" taste a little Hydrogen peroxide will work.

Everyone in their home has a big water bottle, the hot water heater. One thing needs to be is to turn your supply line off, to prevent contamination for entering the hot water heater. Hot tubs are useful too, but would probably require some filtration and other work.

Six 5-gallon blue plastic water cans. Rotate every six months with fresh tap water. All my stuff has a little piece of masking tape where I mark the expiration date. Stored in the garage (which is about as cool/dark a spot as I have). I also have a case of foil water packets that are good for five years.

I have a year-round stream running next to my house & some hand-pump water filters. I'd like to upgrade to some larger, gravity-fed filters (Katadyn Ceradyn) at some point.

55 and 60 gallon plastic DOT food grade barrels. The 15 gallon used beer malt barrels are good, too if truly cleaned out

Pure bleach and a little extra added every few years. I have a sensitive nose that can detect even the slight trace of mold

I am taking a slightly different road on this simply because of storage or should I say... lack of. I agree with the cases of water, but the barrels are of more significance to me because of space limitations. I can use them and a simple water purifier (see an earlier thread on them, lots of good brands brought up) I finally went with Katadyn pocket filter (think that was what it was) kind of spendy, but I researched a long time and they are VERY good. All this isn't in place yet (but will be by the end of next month) because I am very late to the game, but better late than never right?
anyway, (to the op) hope that helps you in some way.

I am taking a slightly different road on this simply because of storage or should I say... lack of. I agree with the cases of water, but the barrels are of more significance to me because of space limitations. I can use them and a simple water purifier (see an earlier thread on them, lots of good brands brought up) I finally went with Katadyn pocket filter (think that was what it was) kind of spendy, but I researched a long time and they are VERY good. All this isn't in place yet (but will be by the end of next month) because I am very late to the game, but better late than never right?
anyway, (to the op) hope that helps you in some way.

So, is the idea to purify the water stored in barrels, using the Katadyn? I've thought of that.

I was thinking of running a series of RV water tanks under my home (crawl space). Our main water line come into the house from the west, then down under the house. We have our kitchen on the east side of the house....so my thinking was to install the series of tanks (I found a place to order online any RV size tank)...connect the water line into tank one (ball/chock valve), then tank two, then tank three....then reconnect the kitchen water line to the back-end of tank three via a "t" connection (one point to the tank, one to the kitchen & one for a hose bib).

By connecting the tanks in this manner, I have water coming in....filling each tank, then out to the kitchen...this way I always have fresh water coming in/out. If something happens, I can close off the tanks at the valuve and hook up a hose the the hose bib connection at the back end of tank three. Since we live on a slight hill, I'll use gravity to drain the water.

I was thinking of running a series of RV water tanks under my home (crawl space). Our main water line come into the house from the west, then down under the house. We have our kitchen on the east side of the house....so my thinking was to install the series of tanks (I found a place to order online any RV size tank)...connect the water line into tank one (ball/chock valve), then tank two, then tank three....then reconnect the kitchen water line to the back-end of tank three via a "t" connection (one point to the tank, one to the kitchen & one for a hose bib).

By connecting the tanks in this manner, I have water coming in....filling each tank, then out to the kitchen...this way I always have fresh water coming in/out. If something happens, I can close off the tanks at the valuve and hook up a hose the the hose bib connection at the back end of tank three. Since we live on a slight hill, I'll use gravity to drain the water.

I like the idea but would be worried as those tanks would be under pressure all the time. Plus they will be filled to compacity and if one cracks or ? your crawlspace is a swimming pool. Plus remember we do get freezing temps here and there. I know my crawlspace stays pretty warm though.

That could be a concern....

But we've had our RV and lived in it for months at a time....water pressure on the tank 24/7 and no problems. Under our hose the temp's are fairly consistent, but I might think of installing a water leak detector (like used around water heaters).

So, is the idea to purify the water stored in barrels, using the Katadyn? I've thought of that.

Yes, you could use rain barrels or just fill them up and store them by adding some bleach. Katadyn has a ton of different models to choose from, some more $$, some cheaper, even other companies that offer similar products offer a lot of stuff to choose from. For me it will help to save on space, space I can use to store food.

wow is it really that much? 1/2 g per drum? I thought it was less for some reason. Guess I better get more bleach in my closet.

Bleach will break down after 6 months at a rate of 20% per year till your left with only salt and water. A better option is Calcium Hypochlorite or pool shock for storage. I bought 5 lbs at my local pool supply for $23.00. You mix one heaping teaspoon with two gallons of water. These two gallons can then be used to purify approximetly 100 gallons of water or as I use them one each for my 2 55-gal barrels. The 5-lbs would last a very long time and can be stored indefinitely. Quite a bit of good info out there but here is one link:

Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water

Bleach will break down after 6 months at a rate of 20% per year till your left with only salt and water. A better option is Calcium Hypochlorite or pool shock for storage. I bought 5 lbs at my local pool supply for $23.00. You mix one heaping teaspoon with two gallons of water. These two gallons can then be used to purify approximetly 100 gallons of water or as I use them one each for my 2 55-gal barrels. The 5-lbs would last a very long time and can be stored indefinitely. Quite a bit of good info out there but here is one link:

Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water

huh, interesting. That type of is safe for drinking? I guess it would be, I remember my folks using it for the pool all the time.

Thanks for the link, thats good info to know and have on hand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top