JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got taken by TSA to the 'back room' because the red wand residue trace thing came up red after being ran down my clothes.

If you go to the range within a week of being patted down the sensors will pick up the gunpowder, lead, whatever on you or your clothes, and more particularly things you normally don't wash like belts, watch, wallet, shoes.

Surprisingly - and I am no fan of the TSA - after I explained why I was probably setting off alarms, they treated me pretty well. I was expecting them to get out a rubber glove or some crazy bubblegum. I was the last search the guy was doing before retirement.

Just remember before flying (especially if you pass on going into the radiation chamber like me) to take extra care about getting powder residue off yourself and your clothes.

Burt, you sure it wasn't because you had been hanging around Vancouver lately? I hear those machines are real sensitive to all kinds of stuff.

Interesting. I've flown to and from some major USPSA pistol matches in the last few years.
Probably had powder residue all over me on the flight back. I KNOW there was powder residue
on my luggage, along with dirty guns and dirtier socks. Never a peep from TSA.

I got taken by TSA to the 'back room' because the red wand residue trace thing came up red after being ran down my clothes.

If you go to the range within a week of being patted down the sensors will pick up the gunpowder, lead, whatever on you or your clothes, and more particularly things you normally don't wash like belts, watch, wallet, shoes.

Surprisingly - and I am no fan of the TSA - after I explained why I was probably setting off alarms, they treated me pretty well. I was expecting them to get out a rubber glove or some crazy bubblegum. I was the last search the guy was doing before retirement.

Just remember before flying (especially if you pass on going into the radiation chamber like me) to take extra care about getting powder residue off yourself and your clothes.

Bring in the cavity dogs!

Burt thanks for the info. What a hassle hugh? I'm sure you handled it better than I would have, no love of the TSA here and thats just from what I have read. Still better than getting pulled over in Texas! Hey I had problems getting into the local court house through the scanners because of grinder dust on my boots and pants. It was a hassle. Train, Noplane or Automobile.

Well I hate the whole TSA goon thing especially since I am an admitted smart *** I always worry about turrets kicking in or something LOL.

They gave me a more thorough search but still let me leave my jeans and shirt on which surprised me. Thought it would be at least down to underwear. Instead of a soft pat down, they dig in with their fingers which makes no real sense, but that is what they do.

When he was digging into my calves I looked down and said 'I work out." That is about as far as I took it in the smart arse dept. I had three people waiting on me in the clearing section and they would not have been amused if I was really detained or thrown in a hole.

Overall, yes, TCA=vomit=goonville=worthless=never stop one 'terrorist' and never will ... but I have to say these two particular guys were not bad at all and got me on my way in about 20 minutes.

I said f the tsa I know it is no big thing but the airlines are losing my business because of them if I can't get there by driving I don't go.
If more people did that the airlines would kick tsa out.

I guess it depends on who you get as to the accuracy of the test. Shortly after returning from Afghanistan I flew out of Portland to go back east to meet my girlfriend now wife. I was carrying my ACU assault pack and the lady TSA screener decided to do a random explosive swabbing of it. I said fine but you are going to get a positive hit on it because I've carried C4 in it and its been very near an IED explosion. She kind of said "uuuuhh oookaaaay" and ran her test. She smiled and said nope, no residue. I didn't say it, but thought that really gives me a lot of confidence in you guys... :( I don't know if she accepted my explanation and gave me a break so I did not have to get pulled to the side and interrogated or the test really did not show anything. In any case I have never been impressed with the TSA as I was also passed over for a random screening in favor of an Army Staff Sergeant in full uniform. One of my past girlfriends said she was always getting "gate raped" by the TSA when she flew.

I'd rather drive...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads