JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
(iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

the OP is under 21, he cannot recieve a concealed pistol license.

So if I wanted to be safe and law abiding in every case, when I buy a handgun from someone, what would I need to do paperwork wise to notify the Gov't that it's now in my possession?

NO and I have seattle guy on ignore for a reason

There are some smart guys on here,but if you want laws answers just ask Nwcid. He has most of them down and at least at his finger tips.
Never seen him stumped yet.

Oh and don't ask any LEO for legal advise,they usually don't (can't) know all the laws perfectly.

Good on you for being mature enough to ask all the questions too!:s0155:

Where does it say it has to be unloaded?

He likes to make things up as he goes.
There is nothing that says the hand guns need to be unloaded,just locked in the car out of sight.

My question is always which law trumps which,when feds say you need to separate gun and ammo while transporting?
But I have only heard that one from one guy,and he seems to think the federal law trumps state law.

I go with the state laws and keep my rifle and magazine close by when traveling

My question is always which law trumps which,when feds say you need to separate gun and ammo while transporting?
But I have only heard that one from one guy,and he seems to think the federal law trumps state law.

That is part of the 1986 FOPA, Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is called the "safe passage" act. Basically what is says is that if you are traveling though a state with restrictive laws that as long as your firearms are transported not unloaded, locked, ect that you can not be prosecuted for it.

This along with FFL reform is why NRA and many gun owners consider this a "win" and they are good things. Still a loss as that is when the Hughes amendment came in and we lost new production of Machineguns.

As to the OP read the laws I posted twice now and see who is right........

Know the law yourself!!!!!!! Stating "I heard it on the internet" is NOT a defense which is why I back up what I post.

As to the OP read the laws I posted twice now and see who is right........

Know the law yourself!!!!!!! Stating "I heard it on the internet" is NOT a defense which is why I back up what I post.

Exactly, which is why the OP cannot carry a pistol on his person. Loaded or unloaded. 9.41.240 specifically states that a minor cannot possess a pistol unless at their home or business unless an exemption applies, the list of exemptions does not include just driving around in your car. You're making numerous legal errors that will get him sent to jail. You are cherry picking what laws you like. You can make the case that the OP can carry while heading to and from the range if he is an enrolled member of the range since that is an exception in .060 however outside of .060 exceptions you may not possess a handgun on your person if you're under 21. Which is what you're insinuating

However. If the OP is willing to risk arrest and being a test case, he stated he's a member of a shooting club.. Which I didn't notice at first. Which means he may be able to carry a handgun on his person loaded or not concealed or not while driving to and from his range.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:...............(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

I would not recommend this though..... Because in places like gig harbor more likely then not if an officer sees that you will be defending yourself in court...

I am sorry you can not read. RCW 9.41.240: Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

There are LOTS of exemptions in those laws that fit the OP's situation. I am not sure how reading, understanding and following the law is cherry picking it, but if that is what you want to call it good on you. I still say the OP reads ALL the laws himself and do what he thinks is best. There are lots of people out there that choose to do things more restrictive then the law says because it makes them feel better. If that is what they want to do that is no concern of mine.

On that note I think I am going to have to make a quote for you;

He likes to make things up as he goes.

NO and I have seattle guy on ignore for a reason

Good work on being #2 on my ignore list :s0155:

We've been through all these on another forum, A member even posted letters from the Attorney General's Office on the matter, they do not consider the exceptions to be an "end run" around the state's limitation of firearms and conviction or aquittal will rest soley on how credible you are when claiming the exception, this is the legal advice that prosecutors will follow. the exceptions are all limited in nature, they do not authorize the OP to carry a pistol on his person alone except under certain limited circumstances.

The only exception in .050 is when carrying a pistol unloaded in the car or carrying loaded with a CPL. to carry on person under 21 you still need to adhere to a section of .042 or .060.

Hi guys,

Is pepper spray legal to carry with a CPL?

Are fixed blade knives legal outside of Seattle?

no CPL is required for pepper spray, spray is also fully preempted so no local regulations can prohibit it, see RCW 9.91.160

Knives will depend upon the city or county, you may need to refer to the code of the city or county in question

Yes, but a guy told me a CPL might be in danger if a person carries pepper spray, or in his case a ASP baton in WA.

I also wonder about Kubaton key chains in WA and ID, not to mention Oregon ( I'm from La Grande) when I travel over there.

Then there is also the issue of blade length for folders, and whether fixed balde knives are legal outside of Seattle?

Knives will depend upon the city or county, you may need to refer to the code of the city or county in question
Also remember that assisted opening folding knives are illegal unless you're LEO or emergency responder.

I wonder how that would play out since I'm security at a retirement center and respond to on site emergencies? Don't think it qualifies me though even though I carry a .45 concealed at work with managements tacit approval. Rules say no weapons but all management knows I carry, even the bookkeeper asked if I had a CPL and was armed after an ex employee threatened reprisal.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Yes, but a guy told me a CPL might be in danger if a person carries pepper spray, or in his case a ASP baton in WA.

I also wonder about Kubaton key chains in WA and ID, not to mention Oregon ( I'm from La Grande) when I travel over there.

Then there is also the issue of blade length for folders, and whether fixed balde knives are legal outside of Seattle?

Kubatons and nunchucks are illegal in WA. My son used to carry a kubaton even so.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Also remember that assisted opening folding knives are illegal unless you're LEO or emergency responder.

Not quite, it is for true "auto" or drop point, butterfly, ect kinves;

RCW 9.41.250: Dangerous weapons ? Penalty.
(2) "Spring blade knife" means any knife, including a prototype, model, or other sample, with a blade that is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement. A knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires physical exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife is not a spring blade knife.

I wonder how that would play out since I'm security at a retirement center and respond to on site emergencies? Don't think it qualifies me though .....

Here is the law that addresses that, RCW 9.41.251: Dangerous weapons ? Application of restrictions to law enforcement, firefighting, rescue, and military personnel.

There are very "specific" and stupid rules that deal with carry by the exempt. Apparently you are safe enough to carry them on duty but not when off duty :huh:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top