JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting and very good tactic to drop your stuff and pretend to act a certain way.

I'm not gonna lie...The part walking around the lady...I would have words with him. That's a human shield move. He drops his stuff...Bends down...Turns to hide his arm movement. As he draws he walks behind the woman. He's looking and drawing as you would around a corner. She's his shield.

Seems he used the female not as a shield, but as cover to draw and take control of the situation. Considering he was an off duty police officer, he gets a pass for this great technique.

He distracted the robbers attention by dropping his stuff on the ground, as the robber was focused there, the cop went around the woman, drawing down on end dispatching said robber...

Good guys - 1
Bad guys - 0

In a crowd like that it would have been impossible not to move around or even bump into somebody. You train to be a moving target and that is the instinct, to move as you draw and shoot. His actions were text book, he was assessing for more threats after the primary threat was eliminated. Training for this doesn't usually occur in thick crowds but the training still kicks in, crowd or no crowd.

Interesting and very good tactic to drop your stuff and pretend to act a certain way.

I'm not gonna lie...The part walking around the lady...I would have words with him. That's a human shield move. He drops his stuff...Bends down...Turns to hide his arm movement. As he draws he walks behind the woman. He's looking and drawing as you would around a corner. She's his shield.
She's cover, not a shield. He was totally fine. Talk away but he did it just right.

Technically speaking:

Shield (human shield) - a person or group of people held near a potential target to deter attack.

Cover - to protect oneself from attack by ducking down into or under or behind.

The difference is subtle, but there nonetheless...

The officer might not fully be aware of all the actions that he did.
Sometimes in these situations the body just "does things" ( hopefully the correct things )

I'm not speaking of training ... or even a automatic response , just a natural response to the issue at hand.
Its hard to explain unless you have been in a stressful situation like the one in the OP.
Sorry for that last line ... it sounds like a cop out ...but I have no words for this phenomenon.
Andy

I totally get that. I have never been in that situation. It just made me think of how I would react if someone used me as cover. A person is more than welcome too...But I'm kicking their a## afterwords.

Educate me in the difference. Other than not being seen. I guess if the badguy wanted to shoot, she's in harm's way regardless.
Really? You need someone to explain the difference between cover and a shield?

Cover is something that obscures line of sight. A shield is something designed to take a blow or absorb fire.

She was cover not a shield.

I don't think he used her as a shield but rather concealment to hide the drawing of his weapon. He steps round her and puts himself in direct line with the bad guy. Moreover, if anything was problematic here it wouldn't have been just this woman but him deciding to take this guy on in such a crowded situation. There are dozens of other people around him...besides the woman...that could have easily been hit by the bad guy's bullets or his. One might make a case that this risk wasn't necessary for what is probably the small amount of valuables he had taken (compared to all the human lives around). Then again, there is no way to predict what might have happened if he had let the guy go. There's no guarantee he would have gone away peacefully.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top