JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"In the Spring a fuller crimson comes upon the robin's breast;
In the Spring the wanton lapwing gets himself another crest;
In the Spring a livelier iris changes on the burnish'd dove;
In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love."
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson - Locksley Hall

Hi there NWF!
Just wanted to share some thoughts and gather some opinions on carry guns. Here's my story: I've been carrying a double stack 9mm pistol for years, namely some incarnation of Steyr (m9 or most recently the c9a1) and have never had any complaints other than carry with formal dress (and that's never easy no matter what in my opinion.) Over the last year, I've worked in Florida, Alaska and Oregon and so have worn all manner of dress with a firearm of some sort. As the weather has warmed and springtime arrives here in Oregon, I've been thinking about maybe changing a few things. Here in the Northwest, even on the warmest days there may still be a point in the day where layers are worn only to be removed. This winter has certainly been a mild one to be sure... And so, to come right around to it, I decided to change to a single stack carry piece. Now without igniting a firestorm about ammo preferences, I'm going to come right out and declare myself a 9mm guy. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt on the .380, .40, .45ACP, etc for everyday carry. For me, the 9mm is the Goldilocks "just right porridge" caliber to tag along with me wherever I am in public. Step into my boudoir after hours uninvited and the equation changes of course... But I digress...
Long story short, I get hands on time with most every carry gun under the sun at work here at TD. I settled on a Springfield XDS9 with the 3.3" barrel and have it riding inside my waistband at the 4:30 position as I write this. And it's amazingly comfortable.
This seems to be a relatively popular firearm, and I know it also comes in a 3.3" barreled .45ACP model for those who prefer roomier wound channels in their bad guys. We rent both out continuously to great fanfare and positive feedback. So far, I have nothing but good things to say about the decision to switch to a single stack for everyday carry. I walk in the woods every chance I get and barely notice it. I can wear a blazer out without worrying about the long handle catching and pulling up the side of the jacket. Things couldn't be better! I even wore a tank top out to Saturday market with it, and never worried about printing. All in all, I'm a convert: single stack for warm weather is the only way to fly.
I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this... What do you think about single stacks vs double for carry? Which guns are best to do so? How do you carry? What holsters? Am I silly for switching to lower round capacity? Sound off and let me know where you stand on any of it, including my Springfield... I'm here to learn from you guys!
Regards,

Josh Fonzi

For double stack 9mm, I like a CZ75P07. It's light - polymer - soft shooting (low riding slide), and conceals nicely in a IWB Kydex contraption. Accurate shooter with 4 inch barrel. For single stack, super concealment, a SIG 938.

I just recently switched to an XDS 3.3 .45, I was carrying a G27. I can say now, after 2 weeks, I am not sure I could go back to the 27. The XDS is lighter and also much nicer to conceal being a single stack. Plus with the +2 mag I only lose 2 rds switching up to .45. Now I just need to find a holster that I really like, I will be following along here to see what recommendations come up for holsters.

I just recently switched to an XDS 3.3 .45, I was carrying a G27. I can say now, after 2 weeks, I am not sure I could go back to the 27. The XDS is lighter and also much nicer to conceal being a single stack. Plus with the +2 mag I only lose 2 rds switching up to .45. Now I just need to find a holster that I really like, I will be following along here to see what recommendations come up for holsters.

Plus one for the XDs .45 as an EDC--a sweet, easy to conceal size!! :D:D
A single stack just means you'd better be 'right on target'...:eek::rolleyes::p;)

I generally carry a single stack, 9mm Sig P290Rs in a SHTF Gear IWB holster, strong side at three o'clock. Then two spare 8rnd mags on the oposite side. Most anything will conceal this rig but I like a garment between my skin and the holster, so two shirts.
When it's really hot out, and now that I'm old I feel the heat more and more, I go to my Ruger LCP/LazorMax, SHTF Gear IWB. Same carry but next to skin and only one garment. It's pretty comfortable and I'm also carrying two mags on the left.

$250 Sccy CPX-2 (double stack)
$10 IWB Mikes Holster

Light, cheap, reliable & disposable.

I carry it in shorts and a t shirt on up every day. I have more expensive (holsters &) guns I like to target shoot better and have carried them, but I don't feel the need for any more firepower then I currently am carrying daily.

usually I carry an FNP 45, my small gun (summertime gun) will be a race ready foster framed 1911 with a govt slide. Never liked tiny guns, my hands are too big.

(always a 45, "never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber gun", don't know where I first heard that but it has stuck with me.)

usually I carry an FNP 45, my small gun (summertime gun) will be a race ready foster framed 1911 with a govt slide. Never liked tiny guns, my hands are too big.
(always a 45, "never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber gun", don't know where I first heard that but it has stuck with me.)

Not to start yet another caliber discussion, but here is how I see it:

#1 - any caliber you can shoot reliably and hit what you are aiming at works
#2 - optimize your carry by calculating the total energy carried (8 rds of 45 in a 1911 may not be the same as 18 rds of 9mm in a double stack)
#3 - carry what you enjoy carrying (there is no point in forcing yourself in carrying something that you actually don't enjoy carrying. Eventually you will stop carrying it, which is the worst outcome. If the only gun you can carry comfortably every day is a single shot .22, so be it. It still is better than not carrying at all)

With 2m DGUs - no shots fired - another aspect is presentation. Large bore shiny revolvers are good for that.

all valid points depending on point of view.

my point of view:
only carry guns I can hit a target with at 25' with the first shot, in a stress situation. this negates my carry of pocket guns.

never underestimate the value of intimidation- a large bore gun that is really loud works for this.

Capacity is important in combat or against zombies, or if you are a leo. In the real world a well trained shooter will end an incident with fewer shots fired. ( of course I do carry the FNP 45, not really haevier than a 1911, and yes it does hold 15+1)

with more and more folks walking around with their faces buried in electronics and oblivious the liklihood of my cc firearm getting spotted and freaking some soccer mom out are pretty slim. Hasn't happened yet. I don't go to extrene lengths to conceal, just a highride hip holster and a flannel shirt.

Face it, not that many people are looking. I got over being self concious about it a while back.

with more and more folks walking around with their faces buried in electronics and oblivious the liklihood of my cc firearm getting spotted and freaking some soccer mom out are pretty slim. Hasn't happened yet. I don't go to extrene lengths to conceal, just a highride hip holster and a flannel shirt.

Face it, not that many people are looking. I got over being self concious about it a while back.

Also more and more people are carrying something on their hip anyway. Be it a Leatherman-type tool, medical device or cell-phone holster, a bulge under a shirt is not uncommon.

@JFonzi_ThreatDynamics - dress for it.

In the summer a slightly looser fitting shirt tends to be cooler - one with crinkles in FL, less cloth to touch the skin, have patterns - like an Hawaiian shirt. Then you can put on a hoodie or fleece for the crack of dawn coolness.

Then carry your "best" gun.

PS, Since it is "in range" from your work, come up to TriCounty for some IDPA. Good crowd to discuss concealed carry with. 1st Saturdays -- April 4th is next. Info is buried in the Competitive Shooting Forum.

I carry a full-size 1911 and for "deep concealment" or as my second firearm an LCP. Either way, single-stacks are the only way to go for me. Obviously, YMMV and to each their own and all that. I don't hate double-stacks, but that's what works for me.

BTW, for the LCP I found a 15-round magazine. I usually keep it in the car, but it is amazingly comical in that not only is it a 15-round single-stack for a tiny pocket pistol, but it also has a PINKY EXTENSION!?!?!? I don't think Shaquille O'Neal's hand could reach the pinky extension, but if I need to lay down cover fire with a 1&7/8" barreled .380, I have that covered.

$250 Sccy CPX-2 (double stack)
Light, cheap, reliable & disposable.
I have more expensive (holsters &) guns I like to target shoot better and have carried them, but I don't feel the need for any more firepower then I currently am carrying daily.

Ya, my SCCY will be my "Very Hot Days" carry gun from now on.
Inside a Remora.

I have 2.........one by my computer, one by my Couch/TV.

I guess I should go buy another for carry..................YES!:confused:;)o_O:rolleyes::D

@JFonzi_ThreatDynamics - dress for it.

In the summer a slightly looser fitting shirt tends to be cooler - one with crinkles in FL, less cloth to touch the skin, have patterns - like an Hawaiian shirt. Then you can put on a hoodie or fleece for the crack of dawn coolness.

Then carry your "best" gun.

PS, Since it is "in range" from your work, come up to TriCounty for some IDPA. Good crowd to discuss concealed carry with. 1st Saturdays -- April 4th is next. Info is buried in the Competitive Shooting Forum.

@RicInOR
Would LOVE to hit the range on a Saturday. They're tough to get off at TD, but I totally would love to come and meet some shooters, probably learn a few things in the process, have some fun!
More shooting, less bubbleguming.

Regards,

Fonzi

My current, and new EDC is a Walther CCP. Single stack 9mm 8+1 very comfortable grip and conceals very well on my relatively average frame. I carry it in a Galco Kingtuk that is also compatible with the XD-S so that should give you an idea of the size of the gun. I conceal it without printing even under mostly form fitting clothes. My winter carry is my Sig P220 Carry, also carried in a Kingtuk. I've actually been able to wear that under dress clothes and not print it thanks to a slightly deeper concealment setup with that holster.

When it gets hot, my BUG becomes my carry gun. Its a S&W 642 in 38 SPC. I load it with Speer 135gr Gold Dot +P and carry it in a pocket holster. I goes away completely in a pair of cargo shorts and an untucked T-shirt. Once it gets cool enough for a heavier shirt, hoodie or windbreaker, I go to my Glock 19. A Hanes Beefy-T is an option for IWB because its pretty thick.

I just got a Keepers 'Errand' AIWB holster for my Shield, and have been using it to get back into AIWB carry in warm weather.. I doubt I'll ever go back to sticking a double stack Glock in my groin, but the Shield works well in the Errand holster. A Jframe or LCR also works well for me AIWB in hot weather. If I carry the 'Block' its with a Hawaiian type shirt, OWB, 4 oclock.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top