Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wanting AR-10.

Discussion in 'Rifles Wanted' started by Pcamret, Dec 19, 2010.

  1. Pcamret

    Pcamret Redmond, OR New Member

    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    Beginning my hunt for an AR-10. What's out there, price ranges and the such? In the Central Oregon area.
     
  2. swoop

    swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,079
    Likes Received:
    281
    You'll want to drop down to the items wanted section.
     
  3. beltloop

    beltloop nebr New Member

    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    0
    There are few model's of the AR10 what model?

    U been looking since 12-20-2010...find one yet I have 3 and would sell one..
     
  4. NoOne

    NoOne Puget Sound Active Member

    Messages:
    511
    Likes Received:
    73
    Are you looking for a basic model, or a tricked out one? There is quite a difference in prices between different makers of the AR10 types of rifles. Do you have a manufacturer in mind? Am I correct in thinking that you are looking for a 308 rather than a 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor or some other variant?

    What I'm getting at is that there is lots more information that would help people know if what they have would fit into what you are looking for. The other item, of course is cost. I wouldn't expect (nor recommend) that you advertise what you want to spend, but information on the other items would really help.

    Manufacturer preference:
    cartridge preference:
    barrel length:
    stock preference:
    ejection port cover or no:
    muzzle brake or not:
    tactical charging handle or not:
    ambi safety:
    tactical bolt release:
    match trigger:
    anti-rotation pins:
    gas block type:
    type of fore end:
    large mag release button:
    ambi bolt release
    flat top, iron sights, no sights:
    removable carry handle, or fixed carry handle:
    new or used:

    Any additional information will help people help you. As the OP hasn't been back to this thread in almost a month, there is a good chance this was a passing fancy, and they have moved on.
     
  5. Scott

    Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,021
    Likes Received:
    154
    There is only one AR-10 and that is Armalite and I don't think he was serious.
     
  6. NoOne

    NoOne Puget Sound Active Member

    Messages:
    511
    Likes Received:
    73
    I realize that Armalite is the only maker of a true AR10, but many people refer to any of the Stoner based 308 offshoots of the M16 as an AR10 regardless of who makes them. With the lack of specificity in his request, I suspected that the OP might have been one of those people.

    At the very least, I would have specified barrel length, and whether I wanted a target, or standard model. That, along with the lack of follow up on the thread makes your "I don't think he was serious" comment very accurate. I couldn't agree with you more about that.
     
  7. orygun

    orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

    Messages:
    3,774
    Likes Received:
    1,961
    I want one too! But not enough to pay for one!:D
     
  8. NoOne

    NoOne Puget Sound Active Member

    Messages:
    511
    Likes Received:
    73
    I think the DPMS variants of the AR10 are pretty reasonably priced. MSR is about $1100 for a base model. If you have a friend with an ffl, you can probably do better. The problem with the DPMS rifles VS the Armalite AR10 is quality control. My guess is that over 98% of the Armalite rifles work just fine with zero problems..the other 2% may have minor issues. With DPMS rifles, it is about a 50% proposition. You might get one that is really accurate, or you might get one that requires a return to DPMS.

    I think the best option is if you can find someone who is selling a used DPMS rifle, and will let you test fire it first. That way, you can check function and accuracy before you buy...and you don't pay for the initial depreciation that guns and new cars get. Whoever drives it off the lot the first time, or walks out of the gun store door with the firearm pays for the privilege of having that "new gun" or "new car" smell. Allow them that pleasure, then buy the firearm from them after they have put a hundred rounds or so through it.
     
  9. Scott

    Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,021
    Likes Received:
    154
    I just put up my RRA just in case anybody wants one. Or I might let go of one of my Armalites.
     
  10. beltloop

    beltloop nebr New Member

    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    0
    ---------------------------

    DITTO...DITTO If he was he'd be on top of his post!