JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's done to drop a little weight and enhance cooling.....allegedly.
If it was true that fluting increased accuracy, then the competition shooters would all be doing it.
They aren't doing it.
Your barrel doesn't have a lot of "meat" on it, so if you have someone flute it, make sure that they know what they are doing.
Ok cool thank you

Its a limited edition model.

The rifle is a keeper to me, plus its a Remington 700 action. I would get the rifle bedded and floated if its not already.

It says on the barrel "2008 Founders Edition 30 of 50"
So it has to be a legit Remington barrel.
Maybe they used the M700 "Magnum Contour" for this special edition ?

I have a factory Remington 700 Long Range 6.5CM that looks a lot like this 30-06
26" magnum contour
Remington doesn't use a straight shank with a sharp taper. The factory magnum contour is thick enough to where it sits nearly flush with the recoil light/washer. This barrel has a shank and is narrower than the washer like a standard sporter. It looks, to me, to be an aftermarket barrel.

I'm not sure of the stock. It may have information in the barrel channel. Is the tip of the fore-end modified? Might just be the picture, but it appears to be altered.

It is wise to shoot a firearm for a bit...before doing any modifications to it.
That way you will have a better idea of what you actually need , versus what other folks say you need.

I would suggest shooting it as is...and see how you shoot with it.
Then ...find what load the rifle "likes" the best ...and practice with that .
Andy

This barrel has a shank and is narrower than the washer like a standard sporter. It looks, to me, to be an aftermarket barrel.
It could be but its engraved on the barrel presumably by the Factory as a limited edition. Maybe Remington used a custom barrel maker for this, if so... then its probably better than a production rifle.

It could be but its engraved on the barrel presumably by the Factory as a limited edition. Maybe Remington used a custom barrel maker for this, if so... then its probably better than a production rifle.
The engraving doesn't appear to be factory, to me at least. It would be interesting to see the other side of the action. If it were a special edition, It would likely say "limited" under the Remington roll mark.

The engraving doesn't appear to be factory, to me at least. It would be interesting to see the other side of the action. If it were a special edition, It would likely say "limited" under the Remington roll mark.
I did a quick search and it appears Remington has made RMEF rifles over the years. I dont know why this one has a different barrel contour.

The quickest way to screw up a good rifle (or any other gun, for that matter) is to start fixin' it. Leave it alone and use it. Put a good scope on it, spend the time learning it's favorite factory rounds, and then take it hunting. Keep your shots at reasonable distances (<300 yards). The gun will kill past that, but my guess is you aren't that capable. Not a slam, Jose, just the cold hard truth. Most folks here shouldn't be taking shots past 300.
There is nothing in Oregon that '06 won't put down 'ceptin' maybe an antifa riot, and that's more a matter of mag capacity than anything.

The quickest way to screw up a good rifle (or any other gun, for that matter) is to start fixin' it. Leave it alone and use it. Put a good scope on it, spend the time learning it's favorite factory rounds, and then take it hunting. Keep your shots at reasonable distances (<300 yards). The gun will kill past that, but my guess is you aren't that capable. Not a slam, Jose, just the cold hard truth. Most folks here shouldn't be taking shots past 300.
There is nothing in Oregon that '06 won't put down 'ceptin' maybe an antifa riot, and that's more a matter of mag capacity than anything.
Knowledge is power I'll try it out I used to bow hunt all the time when I lived in paisley I moved to the valley this is the first time with a rifle to hopefully take down a deer and elk with a rifle I won't shoot far I like to drop the animal and not take risky shots

Keep your shots at reasonable distances (<300 yards). The gun will kill past that, but my guess is you aren't that capable. Not a slam, Jose, just the cold hard truth. Most folks here shouldn't be taking shots past 300.
Including me. :oops:
I'm a pretty good shot, have been shooting rifles for a very long time, including accurate rifles and tiny little groups. However, I rarely ever shoot past 100 yards. Many years ago I shot with some friends at 500 yards and out to 800. Dang, that's a long way out there. I could see where I'd need some serious practice to attain any proficiency at long ranges.

Nice rifle, by the way. I'm a big fan of the Model 700. I would agree with Andy. It might shoot great just as it is.

I bought an older model 700 quite a few years ago, for cheap with the intention of using it for parts. It had a foggy old Burris scope, and an aftermarket barrel of unknown make, installed by an unknown smith, in an odd-ball caliber- 30-06 Improved. Long story short, Burris fixed the scope to like new, free of charge, and the unknown barrel shot amazingly well. I left it as is and it's an excellent rifle.

Including me. :oops:
I'm a pretty good shot, have been shooting rifles for a very long time, including accurate rifles and tiny little groups. However, I rarely ever shoot past 100 yards. Many years ago I shot with some friends at 500 yards and out to 800. Dang, that's a long way out there. I could see where I'd need some serious practice to attain any proficiency at long ranges.

Nice rifle, by the way. I'm a big fan of the Model 700. I would agree with Andy. It might shoot great just as it is.

I bought an older model 700 quite a few years ago, for cheap with the intention of using it for parts. It had a foggy old Burris scope, and an aftermarket barrel of unknown make, installed by an unknown smith, in an odd-ball caliber- 30-06 Improved. Long story short, Burris fixed the scope to like new, free of charge, and the unknown barrel shot amazingly well. I left it as is and it's an excellent rifle.
Thank you guys for the advice will put it to the test and hopefully harvest some meat for this fall/winter

Remington doesn't use a straight shank with a sharp taper. The factory magnum contour is thick enough to where it sits nearly flush with the recoil light/washer. This barrel has a shank and is narrower than the washer like a standard sporter. It looks, to me, to be an aftermarket barrel.

I'm not sure of the stock. It may have information in the barrel channel. Is the tip of the fore-end modified? Might just be the picture, but it appears to be altered.
Remington Magnum Sporter looks like a match to me.
Got a caliper, Jose ?

Screen Shot 08-07-22 at 05.44 PM.PNG

Last Edited:
Just and FYI, figure to spend as much on a scope and good mounts for it as you may have on the rifle. I've got numerous rifles that wear scopes that cost twice what the gun did.
One piece bases are fractionally more rigid than two piece. Cheap rings will cost more in the long run.
The folks at Leupold are your friends. A nice VX-III 2.5-8 will cover 99+% of what you'll use that rifle for.

I'll be hunting eastern Oregon this year deer and elk hopefully it works out well wanted a tikka but might just keep it thanks!
That's MY preferred pill tosser. Eastern OR mule, Blue mountain Elk and Canadian Moose. 30-06 is no slouch and a wide variety of loads to accomodate a large selection of game.

Value wise, I would agree somewhere in the $750-$900 range, but it's kinda purdy and might have more sentimental value once it's been bloodied. In and of itself, it's not extremely rare or in all that high of demand.... so.... might as well put it to work.

If you did want to try and preserve some kind of possible colletors value at some point in the future, there are some real good synthetic stocks on the market you might feel more comfortable bangin around and leave the "flash" for the man cave wall(?)

Nice find.

Just and FYI, figure to spend as much on a scope and good mounts for it as you may have on the rifle. I've got numerous rifles that wear scopes that cost twice what the gun did.
Meh... I've been hunting for decades in all terrains and all big game types with what many around here would probably consider a junk hunting scope and stack just as much meat as anyone in my regular hunting party. Dropping a grand or two on an optic doesn't magically transform you into a crack shot. 🤣

Decent rings... yeah... but not necesary to go beserker on them, IMHO. It's not as if your hunting rifle is going through war conditions or going to be banging around in the back of your truck. ;)