JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remington Magnum Sporter looks like a match to me.
Got a caliper, Jose ?

View attachment 1254365
That shank in your picture wouldn't be visible once its threaded and screwed into the action. It's not exposed like the one you see in the OPs pictures. These are factory Remingtons:

Attachments

• 3E0A4C9B-0F03-456A-A985-76A4431D80F4.jpeg
    3E0A4C9B-0F03-456A-A985-76A4431D80F4.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 38ADE3DF-DEB0-413E-A945-132C5F93A7BB.jpeg
    38ADE3DF-DEB0-413E-A945-132C5F93A7BB.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 38
  • FB010E35-0101-4FD4-B394-60F45B25395D.jpeg
    FB010E35-0101-4FD4-B394-60F45B25395D.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 41
  • B3FF258E-29F6-4CF9-B1BA-BEFCF628000B.jpeg
    B3FF258E-29F6-4CF9-B1BA-BEFCF628000B.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 41
Meh... I've been hunting for decades in all terrains and all big game types with what many around here would probably consider a junk hunting scope and stack just as much meat as anyone in my regular hunting party. Dropping a grand or two on an optic doesn't magically transform you into a crack shot. 🤣

Decent rings... yeah... but not necesary to go beserker on them, IMHO. It's not as if your hunting rifle is going through war conditions or going to be banging around in the back of your truck. ;)
No real opinion of my own on this, since I don't hunt (haven't for over 20 years), so I'm often curious about scopes and why people choose what they do.

I haven't bought a scope in decades as well, since I had a lifetime supply of hunting rifles, but to be honest the best I ever spent money on were $150 Leupold 3-9x, pretty basic. Otherwise I have some cheaper ones that most of you would laugh at. They worked fine for me, but then again I never used them in rough terrain or rough conditions. I have to wonder if it's often a case of "ideal" versus "good enough". It's really nice to have top-quality equipment if you can afford it and/or really need it, but for most people, good enough most often works very well.

For example, I have an old Remington 721 in 30-06, made in the early 1950's. It has a vintage steel-tube Weaver 4x scope on it. A very minimalist setup by modern standards, and I know it doesn't hold a candle to a nice Tikka with a $2k scope, but if I really needed a rifle I'd still be very happy to have it.

That shank in your picture wouldn't be visible once its threaded and screwed into the action. It's not exposed like the one you see in the OPs pictures. These are factory Remingtons:
I suppose the proof would be if Jose could show us more engraving on the barrel.
Such as "Remington Arms Company - Ilion, NY"
If that's not present, then yes, it's a re-barrel.

I don't spend a lot of money on hunting rifles or scopes either. Most of my rifle/scope combos would be well under $1500 total. Most are less than that. My rifle and scope has never been the reason I didn't fill a tag.
Trust me, after the first time your scope fails during a hunt, you'll be inclined to spend more on a more robust piece of glass. I had a Burris fog up on me during an elk hunt and it was a real downer. Started using Leupolds and have not had an issue in the last 40 years.
I'm not advocating for the high end super sniper/target scopes, just good robust scopes that will stand up to some real life use, not just range time.

Trust me, after the first time your scope fails during a hunt, you'll be inclined to spend more on a more robust piece of glass. I had a Burris fog up on me during an elk hunt and it was a real downer. Started using Leupolds and have not had an issue in the last 40 years.
I'm not advocating for the high end super sniper/target scopes, just good robust scopes that will stand up to some real life use, not just range time.
What's a good scope that you recommended that won't break the bank

Having shot a few fluted barrels, I would never do it in the expectation of improved accuracy. As said, fluting is cosmetic. Extended shooting of the 'standard' 700 barrel causes a lot of heat and walking. There is a reason for those 'heavy' barrels. My 721 with a .308 heavy barrel (Remington) and puts custom reloads into one ragged hole at 100 yards. The trigger and how you 'control' it is one of the keys to accuracy.

I need to find a gunsmith around Eugene to help me out with it I moved over here a year ago still trying to find my way around places I've heard fluting the barrel and the bolt is good?
I'd suggest holding off on bedding it until you get out on the bench and see where it's at on paper. By chance have you pulled the stock off to if it's already been done? If you're just going to use it for occasional big game hunting I would'nt waste the money on paying a smith to bed it or doctor up the action. I'll bet money that rifle is good to go just the way it sits.

I'd suggest holding off on bedding it until you get out on the bench and see where it's at on paper. By chance have you pulled the stock off to if it's already been done? If you're just going to use it for occasional big game hunting I would'nt waste the money on paying a smith to bed it or doctor up the action. I'll bet money that rifle is good to go just the way it sits.
Haven't taken it apart since I got it or shot it just been sitting in the safe and since hunting season is only a month away I want it ready so I'll take it out and see how good the zero is with the scope

Something to consider here...
Is that hunting season is fairly close...and good gun smiths are busy.
Also good gunsmithing , takes time.
It may be too late in the year for the work to be done in time for hunting season .

If you want to hunt with this rifle , this season.....
Now is the time to zero this rifle and get in as much practice as you can.

To be honest...
I think that the rifle is just fine as is...and anything you do to it...
Will be 'cause you want to...not 'cause the rifle needs it done , for its purpose.
Andy

Last Edited:
Personally, I wouldn't bed it at all. I would, however, free float it, but that's about all I would do to it. She's good to roll just as she is, IMHO. For meat, you're not going to be trying to throw out long distance precision shots and it's out-of-box accuracy is already going to exceed most folks shooting ability under normal shooting conditions while hunting.

Ie., At best, maybe a tree stabilized standing or hasty and awkward crouched rock stabilized shot. That's really going to be 50/50 with just shooting off-hand, though, right(?)

If it ain't broke..... right? :s0155:

That gun is exactly as I got it from the Rocky Mountain elk game dinner except for the aftermarket trigger tech 700 trigger , it came with the scope which I mounted, that rifle had exactly 12 rounds put through it the last one killed a white tail , as I told you when you got it with the superformance ammo it's a 1moa rifle . Ain't nothing on that rifle mediocre .