JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello sorry if this isn't in the right thread, just got off the phone with my LGS asked about my current purchase person on the end said my status on my purchase is on delay , bought my first handgun second purchase first was an ar instant clear I'm wondering if they do 2 different BGC since the new law passed mind you ar was bought in summer of 2014.

Never had an issue with my ar took 10 mins to run my background check, I did just purchase the handgun Monday , could it be the new 10 day cool off period cause I don't have my CPL still waiting on that .

Applied on June 27th, Just waiting on the local police department,I haven't broken any laws nor felonys or misdemeanors. Gf tells me to relax and chill but I'm inpatient

Go get your CPL. It is very easy in WA. Pay the $50 and it's cash and carry if you stay of the bad boy list.

Concealed Pistol License & Alien Firearms - Benton County Washington (http://www.co.benton.wa.us/pview.aspx?id=1520&catID=45)

Additionally, if you have any of these issues (noted on the webpage above) they might be holding your sale up because of one of them:

• You have never been convicted of any of the following crimes when committed by one family or household member against another on or after July 1, 1993:
    • Assault IV
    • Coercion
    • Stalking
    • Reckless Endangerment 2
    • Criminal Trespass 1
    • Violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from the residence.

Go get your CPL. It is very easy in WA. Pay the $50 and it's cash and carry if you stay of the bad boy list.

Concealed Pistol License & Alien Firearms - Benton County Washington (http://www.co.benton.wa.us/pview.aspx?id=1520&catID=45)

Additionally, if you have any of these issues (noted on the webpage above) they might be holding your sale up because of one of them:

• You have never been convicted of any of the following crimes when committed by one family or household member against another on or after July 1, 1993:
    • Assault IV
    • Coercion
    • Stalking
    • Reckless Endangerment 2
    • Criminal Trespass 1
    • Violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from the residence.
None what so ever I'm a good ol boy,I applied for my CPL on June so basically I'll just have to wait another day or week for my handgun , since they changed the mandatory 5 day to 10 days for non CPL holders. Another question does the delay count towards the cool off period. Purchased the pistol this Monday at Griggs ace .

CPL has no bearing whatsoever on getting NICS clearance. WA law mandates a NICS check whether the purchaser has a CPL or a eagles' nest for a hat.
Every purchase in WA is run through NICS no matter if its a day, week, month or year since the previous purchase.
Hope this helps.

Hello sorry if this isn't in the right thread, just got off the phone with my LGS asked about my current purchase person on the end said my status on my purchase is on delay , bought my first handgun second purchase first was an ar instant clear I'm wondering if they do 2 different BGC since the new law passed mind you ar was bought in summer of 2014.

What you're describing is mostly likely a NICS/background check delay, nothing related to Washington state waiting periods. You may have something in your history (even if you were a juvenile) that may be triggering the delay. I get calls every single day from people who have been passing background checks for years without problems and have recently been denied or delayed.

I was reading up a few things last night basically it could be anything , from being a new pistol purchase, someone having similar name with run ins with the law. Or nics is back logged and running slow. Basically I'll just have to wait till next week since technicality it's only been a few days. This purchase will be my second firearm .

What you're describing is mostly likely a NICS/background check delay, nothing related to Washington state waiting periods. You may have something in your history (even if you were a juvenile) that may be triggering the delay. I get calls every single day from people who have been passing background checks for years without problems and have recently been denied or delayed.

The only thing I have on file is filling out a police report due to being rear ended last summer.that shouldn't be an issue for the delay could it?

From my understanding, the waiting period was established to give local law enforcement enough time to determine if they have legitimate reason to block the purchase without inconveniencing the purchaser too much. When I bought my first handgun, I didn't have my CPL. I had just arrived home from the shop when they called and said they got the go ahead from my local PD and I was clear to pick up. It is likely that your local PD is either very busy with other things or that they only reply to the shop if the purchase is a no-go, in which case you will have to wait out the entire 10 days.

Having a CPL eliminates the waiting period because you have already been vetted by your local PD in order to get the CPL and the store only needs to conduct a NICS check.

From my understanding, the waiting period was established to give local law enforcement enough time to determine if they have legitimate reason to block the purchase without inconveniencing the purchaser too much. When I bought my first handgun, I didn't have my CPL. I had just arrived home from the shop when they called and said they got the go ahead from my local PD and I was clear to pick up. It is likely that your local PD is either very busy with other things or that they only reply to the shop if the purchase is a no-go, in which case you will have to wait out the entire 10 days.

Having a CPL eliminates the waiting period because you have already been vetted by your local PD in order to get the CPL and the store only needs to conduct a NICS check.

Yeah I'm sure my local pd is very busy with more important issues.im not worried it'll just be another week , never know by next week I could possibly have both my CPL n my pistol.

The only thing I have on file is filling out a police report due to being rear ended last summer.that shouldn't be an issue for the delay could it?
No, that could not cause the delay. Strictly speaking, the FFL is allowed to transfer the firearm to you now, although a lot of them won't. It's possible that the NICS check will remain in open status for one reason or another and you'll never hear a response. Last I heard, NICS has also stopped processing appeals, so there's that.

No, that could not cause the delay. Strictly speaking, the FFL is allowed to transfer the firearm to you now, although a lot of them won't. It's possible that the NICS check will remain in open status for one reason or another and you'll never hear a response. Last I heard, NICS has also stopped processing appeals, so there's that.
I should had a call yesterday if that was the case I'll give em a call Monday.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR