JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok,

My cousin in Wa. going through a hard divorce and is also a little worried about her son. Long story short, wants to get the gun out of house. In lieu of her turning it into the police, I offered to store the pistol for her in my safe here in Or. Are there any leagal issues I should worry about?

Thanks

As far as I know, you still would need to go through an FFL in Oregon and go through the background check. They could either mail it to an FFL here (I've used A Cut Above Pawn in Beaverton - $25 including background check) or just meet you there to do the transfer.

Depends on the firearm, but couldn't you leave the serial numbered part with her and store the other parts with you.
That would make it nonoperational and safe.
Example:
Semi-auto pistol (you have the slide, mags and ammo), frame with her.
Revolver: cylinder, ammo.
Bolt action rifle: bolt,ammo, stock.

Depends on the firearm, but couldn't you leave the serial numbered part with her and store the other parts with you.
That would make it nonoperational and safe.
Example:
Semi-auto pistol (you have the slide, mags and ammo), frame with her.
Revolver: cylinder, ammo.
Bolt action rifle: bolt,ammo, stock.

That makes Waaaaaay too much sense....

I think that as long as you don't sell/trade it. I believe that "borrowing" is acceptable. Ideas?
It is.

As far as I know, you still would need to go through an FFL in Oregon and go through the background check. They could either mail it to an FFL here (I've used A Cut Above Pawn in Beaverton - $25 including background check) or just meet you there to do the transfer.
They could meet and loan the firearm. Ownership wouldn't change and it wouldn't need a check. Shipping it from WA to pick up probably would need to go through an FFL.

Why? There is a thread on here about pawn shops and apparently people do this, that's where I got the idea from. It may not be right for you but opinions differ.

Because when you pawn something, that thing is used as collateral to secure a loan which you pay interest on. Pawn shops don't store your stuff for free.

If the pawn shop is being used for the purpose of a temporary storage facility instead as a lender, then why would someone pay for a pawn shop to hold on to something when they could have a family member hold onto it for free?

Pawn shop will charge you massive interest, and if you don't show up to pick it back up at the right time, they sell it.

You can absolutely legally loan/borrow guns legally between WA and OR. As long as it is not a sale or permanent transfer, there is no FFL needed. Just store them for her, and there will be no troubles. That way you don't get mixed up in the divorce/property battle also with her giving you property to keep it away from the spouse. They are still hers, you are just storing them.

You can absolutely legally loan/borrow guns legally between WA and OR. As long as it is not a sale or permanent transfer, there is no FFL needed. Just store them for her, and there will be no troubles. That way you don't get mixed up in the divorce/property battle also with her giving you property to keep it away from the spouse. They are still hers, you are just storing them.

And some confirmation of what you, and a few others have posted:
BATFE said:
Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Because when you pawn something, that thing is used as collateral to secure a loan which you pay interest on. Pawn shops don't store your stuff for free.

Yes, I know this. But, like I said, people do seem to do this. Sure, it would be better to get a family member to hold on to it, but then again, it would be better to not be in the situation where you were so concerned that you didn't want guns in the house.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top