JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No surprise there. Most of the people haven't even been asked to pull it. Those that have, have maybe 4-7 requests at the most. Where other bills probably have 70-80+ requests or an "obviously large populous support".

I keep stressing Marks office and calling and asking them questions and voicing my concerns about the bill not being pulled. I am affraid that she is remembering my voice or caller ID. It's important that others besides the same 3-5 people call in.

------- On a side note------

I just had my first bad experience dealing with this stuff. And it was calling a person listed as a Bill Sponsor! Thats right. I decided to call just the sponsors of the bill. Hatfeild, Honeyford, and Sheldon. Didn't call Mark, Ive made my point with them.

Hatfields office... Great, supper nice, said the bill is moving and making progress. Wanted to assure me that they were making calls and it was getting alot of support. Asked me what I have been hearing and talked about how it has been dormant for almost a month, and stated that I understand other bills have a larger following and therefor come first. She said but you have obviously found that the bill has lots of support in your calls. Knowing once we talked for a few minutes that I had obviously made these kinds of calls before.

Honeyford... Called I said "Just calling to express my support for 5112 and was wonodering if the senator had any info on when the bill would be pulled". SLAP "You should call the Sponsor of the bill it is Hatfields bill". I said I have already talked to his office. Your office is also a sponsor for the bill... and I wanted to know if the Senator has talked to anyone to have the bill pulled. "You need to call your Senator and have them follow up on this, do you know your Senator?" In a smug tone. I said Yes, I have talked to Conways office. However he is not involved in this bill and Honeyford is! "As a bill sponsor you would think he has some knowledge about what may and may not happen with it." She told me I obviously have plenty of info on the progress, since I knew more about it than her. And that she couldn't help me any further and hung up on me.

REDICULOUS!!!! As a washington resident I am aloud to call anyone I damn well please. They work for us! As Conways aide told me when I called to tell her this BS. She couldn't believe it. She told me it is her job to listen and answer questions from anyone, but it is critical that she listen and do right by the Senators constituants!

My impression today with the above comentary and other inferences made to me today is that people are calling in. Thats a good thing. But I get the impression that many of the people are not informed on either the process or things as simple as knowing who your senator is. If you can't answer that question they are so much less likely to take you serious.

If you call know your District and Senator.
Know the Bill number and companion bill number.
Know some information about who supports it and who the sponsors are.
State that you know the Bill is in Rules Committee.
Express support, and that you wish for their support and help in getting the bill pulled to the floor.

I really think Honeyfords assistant wanted to pawn me off and not deal with me. Probably getting alot of calls with deadlines comming. She became irritated when I didn't say ok I'll call somone else and knew more about the bill and progress than she did and knew my abilities and who to "pressure" so to speak.

A mass of people can eventually get things done, a mass of people that are knowledgable on the subject will be taken seriously.

Sounds like Honeyford's assistant is either a bubblegum or having a bad day. I have an email from Senator Honeyford from 2009 when I wrote him to support House Bill 1604 (Permitting the use of sound suppressors):

I will support this as a good common sense measure as I have a hearing loss, probably due to the time on the firing range.
Doubt that it will get to the Senate but sure hope so.

I'll call his office shortly and see what they say to a constituent.

PB

E-mail might do better. I do believe he is one of the ones that responds by himself. When I mentioned the fax I sent to the rules comittee members and mentioned that I had sent an e-mail as well. Several of the Aides said they would sift through and find the e-mail and print it for the senator, and others said I am sure he will get it, but might not respond back right away.

Either way I know the senators are busy, just wish there was a way to have them more available to the public.

Here is the list of bills that Senator Schoesler is sponsoring. Some of them are rather important. Some are in my opinion, crap. If he has time for crap, then he can use one of his pulls to correct the State's decades long punishment of law abiding gun owners.
<broken link removed>

SB 5003 Adding to the scenic and recreational highway system.
SB 5133 Using state correctional facility populations to determine population thresholds for certain local government purposes.
SB 5159 Authorizing the transfer of service credit and contributions into the Washington state patrol retirement system by members who served as commercial vehicle enforcement officers and communications officers and then became commissioned troopers in the Washington state patrol. Fiscal Note
SB 5164 Concerning the registration of charitable organizations.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Regarding charitable solicitations. Fiscal Note
SB 5165 Limiting changes to commissioner districts during commissioner elections and election filing periods.
SB 5166 Allowing off-road vehicles on public highways in certain areas.
SB 5167 Concerning tax statute clarifications and technical corrections.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Concerning tax statute clarifications and technical corrections, including for the purposes of local rental car taxes. Fiscal Note
SB 5184 Regarding compliance reports for second-class school districts. Fiscal Note
SB 5235 Regarding animal health inspections. Fiscal Note
SB 5254 Concerning licensing of explosive dealers, manufacturers, sellers, and storage.
SB 5293 Regarding the use of water delivered from the federal Columbia basin project. Fiscal Note
SB 5437 Concerning members of the fish and wildlife commission.
SB 5448 Conforming certain manufactured/mobile home dispute resolution program definitions with certain manufactured/mobile home landlord-tenant act definitions.
SB 5487 Establishing a certification program for commercial egg laying chicken operations.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Regarding eggs and egg products in intrastate commerce. Fiscal Note
SB 5492 Changing Washington beer commission provisions. Fiscal Note
SB 5496 Siting new mobile home parks and manufactured housing communities.
SB 5587 Terminating the low-income property tax deferral program. Fiscal Note
SB 5588 Repealing the unfunded state remittance for persons eligible for the federal earned income tax credit. Fiscal Note
SB 5723 Establishing a process for addressing water quality issues associated with livestock operations.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Addressing water quality issues associated with livestock operations. Fiscal Note
SB 5858 Disposing of department of fish and wildlife-owned land that is used for agricultural purposes.
SR 8616 Honoring the Eastern Washington University Eagles.

If anyone manages to get this guy on the phone, you may want to bring up his lengthy list of bills he is sponsoring and remind him that he gets the chance to correct a mistake made in the 1930's. Thanks.

Ranb

And some more.
Secondary Sponsored Bills

Bill Number Brief Description
SB 5000 Mandating a twelve-hour impound hold on motor vehicles used by persons arrested for driving under the influence.
SB 5001 Concerning unappropriated public lands. Fiscal Note
SB 5006 Concerning the issuance of drivers' licenses, permits, and identicards to persons who are not lawfully within the United States.
SB 5007 Making an exemption regarding the public inspection and copying of voter registration information of criminal justice agency employees or workers. Fiscal Note
SB 5018 Including wound care management in occupational therapy.
SB 5026 Clarifying the definition of "farm vehicle" to encourage similar recognition in federal tax law.
SB 5030 Authorizing civil judgments for assault.
SB 5077 Prohibiting the use of eminent domain for economic development. Fiscal Note
SB 5078 Concerning a municipality's right to condemn real property due to a threat to public health, safety, or welfare. Fiscal Note
SB 5100 Concerning expenditures for works of art. Fiscal Note
SB 5101 Placing certain synthetic cannabinoids into schedule I of the uniform controlled substances act.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Placing certain synthetic cannabimimetics into schedule I of the uniform controlled substances act. Fiscal Note
SB 5102 Requiring adult family homes and boarding homes to provide notice of registered sex offenders and kidnapping offenders.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Concerning registered persons in adult family homes, boarding homes, and other assisted living situations. Fiscal Note
SB 5103 Including persons acquitted by reason of insanity in the slayer statute.
SB 5104 Authorizing criminal defendants to plead "guilty and mentally ill."
SB 5105 Addressing the conditional release of persons committed as criminally insane to their county of origin.
SB 5106 Eliminating the periodic replacement requirement for license plates.
SB 5109 Eliminating the requirement to purchase public art with appropriations made for construction of public buildings.
SB 5112 Changing restrictions on firearm noise suppressors.
SB 5135 Responding to the current economic conditions by temporarily modifying the unemployment insurance program. Fiscal Note
SB 5160 Increasing the duty-related death benefit for public employees. Fiscal Note
SB 5161 Addressing the definition of employer for certain public corrections entities formed by counties or cities under RCW 39.34.030. Fiscal Note
SB 5162 Addressing public employees' annuities and retirement plans. Fiscal Note
SB 5163 Providing a partial lump sum benefit payment option for certain survivors of active members of the teachers' retirement system plan 1. Fiscal Note
SB 5180 Clarifying the method for calculating port commissioner compensation.
SB 5185 Temporarily suspending certain motorcycle rules when operating in parades or public demonstrations.
SB 5209 Concerning the relinquishment of a water right. Fiscal Note
SB 5210 Creating a water commission. Fiscal Note
SB 5215 Removing the expiration date for exempting applicants who operate commercial motor vehicles for agribusiness purposes from certain commercial driver's license requirements.
SB 5240 Addressing the submission of DNA markers to a database accessible only to qualified laboratory personnel. Fiscal Note
SB 5256 Concerning wine shipments. Fiscal Note
SB 5257 Concerning craft wine and wineries. Fiscal Note
SB 5258 Concerning methods of payment for purposes of the alcohol beverage control statutes. Fiscal Note
SB 5259 Concerning the tax payment and reporting requirements of small wineries. Fiscal Note
SB 5261 Developing training for manufactured housing community managers. Fiscal Note
SB 5271 Regarding abandoned or derelict vessels. Fiscal Note
SB 5273 Authorizing a forest biomass to aviation fuel demonstration project.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Authorizing a study on forest biomass to aviation fuel. Fiscal Note
SB 5276 Repealing the family and medical leave insurance act.
SB 5283 Providing cost-saving measures and allocation of vouchers for low-income housing.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Concerning the allocation of vouchers for low-income housing. Fiscal Note
SB 5284 Requiring state agencies to use private collection agencies.
SB 5290 Concerning a sales and use tax exemption for bait used by a fishing charter business. Fiscal Note
SB 5292 Exempting irrigation and drainage ditches from the definition of critical areas.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Exempting certain structures that are constructed and maintained by irrigation districts from the definition of critical areas. Fiscal Note
SB 5294 Regarding hours of availability of special purpose districts for inspection and copying of public records.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Regarding hours of availability of cities, towns, and special purpose districts for inspection and copying of public records.
SB 5295 Regarding leases of irrigation district property.
SB 5327 Limiting the use of public assistance electronic benefit cards. Fiscal Note
SB 5328 Requiring verification of eligibility for public assistance. Fiscal Note
SB 5330 Requiring the temporary assistance for needy families grant to be dispensed as an electronic voucher benefit and limited to purposes benefiting children. Fiscal Note
SB 5331 Implementing an audit program for working connections child care providers. Fiscal Note
SB 5333 Verifying citizenship or lawful presence of individuals upon the renewal of their state issued driver's license or permit or identicard.
SB 5335 Verifying that applicants for drivers' licenses, permits, and identicards are lawfully within the United States.
SB 5343 Concerning air emissions from anaerobic digesters.
SB 5350 Concerning the unlawful dumping or depositing of solid waste.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Concerning the unlawful dumping of solid waste.
SB 5351 Prohibiting certain registered sex offenders from entering school grounds. Fiscal Note
SB 5356 Establishing seasons for hunting cougars with the aid of dogs.
Revised for 1st Substitute: Allowing the use of dogs to hunt cougars. Fiscal Note
SB 5359 Concerning contiguous land under current use open space property tax programs. Fiscal Note
SB 5376 Regarding the disposal of lands by natural resource agencies. Fiscal Note
SB 5414 Eliminating the periodic replacement requirement for license plates. Fiscal Note
SB 5418 Addressing the use of force in self-defense.
SB 5438 Concerning the sale of timber from lands managed by the department of fish and wildlife. Fiscal Note
SB 5486 Creating the taxpayer savings account.
SB 5500 Concerning the rule-making process for state economic policy. Fiscal Note
SB 5501 Concerning the taxation of employee meals provided without specific charge. Fiscal Note
SB 5505 Allowing the use of federal census data to determine the resident population of annexed territory.
SB 5523 Eliminating the state printing operation. Fiscal Note
SB 5542 Establishing special license endorsements for cigar lounges and retail tobacconist shops. Fiscal Note
SB 5562 Creating a task force on construction crane safety review.
SB 5563 Suspending provisions of the energy independence act on a temporary basis.
SB 5570 Prohibiting the impoundment of farm vehicles under certain conditions.
SB 5575 Recognizing certain biomass energy facilities as an eligible renewable resource.
SB 5603 Regarding online education. Fiscal Note
SB 5612 Requiring school districts or educational service districts to purchase employee health insurance coverage through the state health care authority.
SB 5613 Requiring school districts or educational service districts to purchase employee health insurance coverage through the state health care authority.
SB 5637 Requiring creation of a web-based application to match profiles of students and employers for internship opportunities. Fiscal Note
SB 5643 Modifying the definition of "well" in RCW 18.104.020.
SB 5644 Concerning standards for the use of science to support public policy.
SB 5668 Waiving Washington state bar association dues for public agency attorneys.
SB 5672 Providing for health care liability reform.
SB 5697 Addressing the minimum standards for firearms safety devices and gun safes used by certain governmental agencies that purchase, receive, possess, use, or issue firearms and government agents who receive, possess, or use a firearm issued to the agent by the agency. Fiscal Note
SB 5712 Consolidating the Puget Sound partnership into the Washington state conservation commission.
SB 5758 Regarding management of dedicated accounts for comprehensive institutions of higher education. Fiscal Note
SB 5773 Making a health savings account option and high deductible health plan available to public employees. Fiscal Note
SB 5794 Concerning the taxation of domestically brewed beer. Fiscal Note
SB 5830 Increasing access to state government through accessible parking.
SB 5839 Adjusting the minimum wage rate based on changes in consumer prices.
SB 5840 Creating a good faith defense for certain minimum wage and overtime compensation complaints.
SB 5841 Permitting private employers to exercise a voluntary veterans' preference in employment.
SB 5861 Regarding veteran scoring criteria status.

Ranb

And a few more.
SJR 8201 Amending Article XXVI of the state Constitution.
SJR 8208 Concerning health care services.
SJR 8210 Amending the Constitution to include toll revenue to be used exclusively for highway purposes.
SJR 8214 Addressing the state's long-term pension obligations. Fiscal Note
SJR 8216 Amending the state Constitution to include an expenditure limit.
SR 8600 Honoring Senator Bob McCaslin.
SR 8604 Adopting permanent senate rules.
SR 8605 Observing National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention month.
SR 8607 Honoring Polly Rosmond.
SR 8608 Honoring the centennial of Rainier Connect.
SR 8610 Honoring Valoria Loveland.
SR 8611 Amending Senate Rules.
SR 8613 Recognizing Constitution day and citizenship day.
SR 8614 Honoring the Washington National Guard.
SR 8615 Honoring Jeannette Hayner.
SR 8618 Celebrating the championship season of the South Bend High School football team.
SR 8624 Recognizing the 4-H Youth Development Program.
SR 8626 Honoring Consul-General Haryong Lee
He is busy, but we need to make him busy for us.

Ranb

I didn't get any sort of "exciting" answers back from Senator Honeyford, he basically said I should contact the Rules committee and didn't reply back when I told him I already had and that they didn't seem very concerned about non-constituents.

I hate politicians. Ranb and seattlewingsfan - you two must have much more patience and tact than I.

I was thinking this morning... The messed up thing about this Rules Committee crap is that they are bascially the most powerful people in the legislature. They PICK what goes to the floor and it either passes or dies. They have the ability to package pull, the ability to expedite bills directly to the floor IE pink sheet. This all means they can get lots of bills through if they want to, or they can drag it out... With limits on pulls allowing them to get little passed. The way it is set up... saying meetings are open to the public, but with No requirement for pulic notice on meeting times and or dates is rediculous. The no public notice means they just have to have an assistant ditch calls in there office, never having to deal with the people. Bypassing our right to goto the rules meetings and talk to them before and watch what they do. Doing package pulls in one senators office which isn't open to the public is a claim to pass a bunch of needed bills, but also isn't open the the public. Looking at the grand scheme of it all. I am sure there is backdoor deals with senators and lobbyists as to which bills get through and which don't. I want to be able to say to a senator before the rules committee. "What bills are you going to pull today? and why is that more important than my bill?" The way the system is setup screams, we want a way to be not accountable for not passing bills... It's too easy to say we were too busy to meet, I only had two pulls, there wasn't enough support for that bill, or there are bills that have more support. How are we to know...?

Has anyone contacted the NRA and asked for a letter or some type of support maybe even have them or to get another posting on NRA ILA. I know I got a feed from them on 1016 passing the house. If I get time I'll try to do something with that today.

I also called Brian Blakes office this morning to thank him for getting 1016 through the house so quickly and just ask if he is brainstorming and asking senators to get this done! She said he as the priamry person for this movement he has been making calls for weeks and is working very hard to get this done. It is his baby so to speak.

Contacted Mr. Judy of the NRA a few minutes ago. He wasn't available at the moment but I explained the situation to his assistant and she was pleased to forward me to his personal voicemail box. She gave me the impression that this is something he would like to be involved with. I also sent an e-mail stating progress and expressed the need for the organization to get involved or endorse this.

Calling into the NRA and getting to the right people isn't easy. I would like a few people to express interest in this to him. However I do not want to burn a bridge and have a bunch of people calling filling his inbox with requests. If your interested PM me and I will forward the info.

I just got some wonderful new:

Dear [Ryo],

Senator Carrell will be pulling Senate Bill 5112 from the Green Sheet to the Senate Floor today in Rules. Rules is scheduled to meet at 5:00pm.

Sincerely,
Michelle Lewis

Senior Legislative Assistant to
Washington State Senator Mike Carrell
102 Irv Newhouse Building
Olympia, Washington 98504-0428
Office (360)786-7654/Fax (360)786-7819

Woo Hoo. She was really quick to respond to my email. Sent out quite a few of them already!

Going to finish up the list of emails.. but this one email is a great sign.

I just got some wonderful new:

Woo Hoo. She was really quick to respond to my email. Sent out quite a few of them already!

Going to finish up the list of emails.. but this one email is a great sign.

That falls inline with a phone call and an e-mail I got between 4-5 that there was a very good chance that the bill would be placed on the floor calendar today. Both sources didn't name a name on who would be doing it. But Carrell is as good as anybody. :)

If this is so I will bring up SBR with Mr Judy when he calls me back. Might as well start working on the next issue. The whole process isn't that bad. And now that we as a group have worked at it, well atleast I for one know a whole lot more now than I did a few months ago. And know where to start, saving a bunch of time.

I think I am going to go home crack open a beer and watch the hockey game!

That falls inline with a phone call and an e-mail I got between 4-5 that there was a very good chance that the bill would be placed on the floor calendar today. Both sources didn't name a name on who would be doing it. But Carrell is as good as anybody. :)

If this is so I will bring up SBR with Mr Judy when he calls me back. Might as well start working on the next issue. The whole process isn't that bad. And now that we as a group have worked at it, well atleast I for one know a whole lot more now than I did a few months ago. And know where to start, saving a bunch of time.

I think I am going to go home crack open a beer and watch the hockey game!

I'm in for the SBR, I need something to go with the suppressor. :D

I have a plan for SBR/SBS, but I would like to keep a lid on it until after the silencer issue is a done deal. It is great that the NRA is starting to take notice.

Ranb

The bill is creeping along. SB 5112 - 2011-12

History of Bill
as of Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:18 PM

Sponsors: Senators Hatfield, Honeyford, Sheldon, Schoesler
Companion Bill: HB 1016

2011 REGULAR SESSION
Jan 14 First reading, referred to Judiciary. (View Original Bill)
Jan 26 Public hearing in the Senate Committee on Judiciary at 1:30 PM. (Committee Materials)
Feb 8 Executive action taken in the Senate Committee on Judiciary at 10:00 AM. (Committee Materials)
Feb 9 JUD - Majority; do pass. (Majority Report)
Feb 10 Passed to Rules Committee for second reading.
Made eligible to be placed on second reading.
Mar 2 Placed on second reading by Rules Committee.

Still no vote on the Senate floor. Nothing about 5112 on TVW, the legislature TV show (like CSPAN). http://www.tvw.org/search/siteSearch.cfm?keywords=Senate Floor&Date=2011&bhcp=1

Ranb

Yeah but TVW won't have an update yet. Probably not till tomarrow. They haven't even placed it officially on the calendar yet. Well as of 5 minutes ago anyway.

This is the part where it can go very fast though. Bills can have 2nd reading and third reading a vote all in one day. Infact alot of time 2nd reading is followed by third reading and a vote within minutes. We have jumped THE hurdle. But yeah not done.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top