Vortex viper or leupold vx-3i??

Which scope for hunting

• Total voters
Reactions
It's for my tikka in 7mm. I'm having a hard time deciding. I've had vortex diamondback that I think is ok and I have an old vari x 2 that I think stinks lol. What should I choose and why?

MechaNik

Reactions
For hunting??? I don't know, man. My experience with the vx-3i is my LRP model. It's a pretty big scope I wouldn't want to crawl through brush/up cliffs with. I suppose if you're planted in one spot and waiting... Mine is fantastic. I was able to consistently hit a 2" Target using mine @ 200yds out of the box, every single time. My totally biased opinion is use Leupold for everything if you can afford it. They have a scope for literally every price range and they're all issue free in my eyes.

MechaNik

Reactions
Fwiw, I hear the vortex warranty being stated as a reason to buy but keep in mind.... You'll probably use it. Much like harbor freight tools carrying a lifetime warranty....

MechaNik

Reactions
Care to tell the class about it? I have a vx2, vx-3i and a rifleman and I can't really tell the clarity difference. I'd be interested to know how much better the vx5 is

OP
snarlingdog
Reactions
Eye relief is was the biggest seller. The 30mm tube made it much brighter. My vari x ii is a ok scope but the crosshairs are so thin. The upgrades in the vx3i where a welcome change thicker duplex and adjustments that actually click is awesome. So the vx5 has the same things I enjoyed in the VX3i but that bigger tube sold it. I had pretty much already decided not to go vortex so just picking a model was left.

Reactions
Oh? Care to tell us about it? As a Leupold fan, I'm certainly interested in how they compare across the board and I'm sure I'll not the only one
Its just VX-2 glass, which is fine for the price but I'd rather choose between a Viper HS and VX-3i. To which I'd say spend a bit more and get a VX-R.

Granted I prefer some other optics over both but they're above the price range of the previously mentioned scopes.

Reactions
Imho only higher end leupolds are worth it. But once you go there the options are numerous. Nightforce, schmidt & bender, swaro, etc. But in the budget area other companies tend to be better.
I Competes disagree with your second statement. I would choose a VX-freedom/VX-3i against most other manufactures mid series scopes all day. Better build in terms of quality and parts, torture tested like all of Leupold high end military grade scopes, better optical quality in low light and glare, and they are designed, manufactured and assembled in Beaverton.

Reactions
I Competes disagree with your second statement. I would choose a VX-freedom/VX-3i against most other manufactures mid series scopes all day. Better build in terms of quality and parts, torture tested like all of Leupold high end military grade scopes, better optical quality in low light and glare, and they are designed, manufactured and assembled in Beaverton.
Even the PA I had was better than the VX freedom. As was the POSP, and my PO 4x17.

I had a VX-freedom on my .30-06, and I ended up replacing it with a Pilad scope.

But you do you.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
  • Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
Top Bottom