JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which scope for hunting

• Total voters
Reactions
It's for my tikka in 7mm. I'm having a hard time deciding. I've had vortex diamondback that I think is ok and I have an old vari x 2 that I think stinks lol. What should I choose and why?

Vortex is great with a fabulous warranty and hard to beat price tag but between the two if price is not an object I would go Leupold. On the ones I own Leupold's glass is just superior in every aspect.

Depends on which Viper you are talking about. If you mean just the regular Viper I would probably choose the Leupold. If you are talking about the Gen II Viper PST, definitely go Vortex.

Without question the Leupold. The VX-3i is a way better product in terms of quality, build and glass. You aren't going to get the same low light performance from the Viper as you will from the VX-3i. Hell even the VX-freedom is going to be better than the viper.

For hunting??? I don't know, man. My experience with the vx-3i is my LRP model. It's a pretty big scope I wouldn't want to crawl through brush/up cliffs with. I suppose if you're planted in one spot and waiting... Mine is fantastic. I was able to consistently hit a 2" Target using mine @ 200yds out of the box, every single time. My totally biased opinion is use Leupold for everything if you can afford it. They have a scope for literally every price range and they're all issue free in my eyes.

Fwiw, I hear the vortex warranty being stated as a reason to buy but keep in mind.... You'll probably use it. Much like harbor freight tools carrying a lifetime warranty....

This is good stuff guys! But I broke the bank yesterday and got a leupold vx5 2-10x42. I need new rings now lol but it's a great clear scope much easier to look through than the vx3. Thanks all for the info.

Care to tell the class about it? I have a vx2, vx-3i and a rifleman and I can't really tell the clarity difference. I'd be interested to know how much better the vx5 is

Eye relief is was the biggest seller. The 30mm tube made it much brighter. My vari x ii is a ok scope but the crosshairs are so thin. The upgrades in the vx3i where a welcome change thicker duplex and adjustments that actually click is awesome. So the vx5 has the same things I enjoyed in the VX3i but that bigger tube sold it. I had pretty much already decided not to go vortex so just picking a model was left.

Without question the Leupold. The VX-3i is a way better product in terms of quality, build and glass. You aren't going to get the same low light performance from the Viper as you will from the VX-3i. Hell even the VX-freedom is going to be better than the viper.
As someone who tried the VX-Freedom, not sure bout that. o_O

Oh? Care to tell us about it? As a Leupold fan, I'm certainly interested in how they compare across the board and I'm sure I'll not the only one
Its just VX-2 glass, which is fine for the price but I'd rather choose between a Viper HS and VX-3i. To which I'd say spend a bit more and get a VX-R.

Granted I prefer some other optics over both but they're above the price range of the previously mentioned scopes.

Fwiw, I hear the vortex warranty being stated as a reason to buy but keep in mind.... You'll probably use it. Much like harbor freight tools carrying a lifetime warranty....

Never seen anything like this at harbor freight:

3727FE0B-083E-4C0B-BB16-19FB5F3C3E12.jpeg

I have a few Leupolds too. But once you go Razor...

Imho only higher end leupolds are worth it. But once you go there the options are numerous. Nightforce, schmidt & bender, swaro, etc. But in the budget area other companies tend to be better.
I Competes disagree with your second statement. I would choose a VX-freedom/VX-3i against most other manufactures mid series scopes all day. Better build in terms of quality and parts, torture tested like all of Leupold high end military grade scopes, better optical quality in low light and glare, and they are designed, manufactured and assembled in Beaverton.

I Competes disagree with your second statement. I would choose a VX-freedom/VX-3i against most other manufactures mid series scopes all day. Better build in terms of quality and parts, torture tested like all of Leupold high end military grade scopes, better optical quality in low light and glare, and they are designed, manufactured and assembled in Beaverton.
Even the PA I had was better than the VX freedom. As was the POSP, and my PO 4x17.

I had a VX-freedom on my .30-06, and I ended up replacing it with a Pilad scope.

But you do you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads