JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I picked up a Vortex Viper red dot today and put it on my handgun. Uses an included mount for the pinctanny rail but it seems to be too high and off to the left with where the dot is in relation to the "zero". No matter how far I turn the screws to adjust it I cannot get the dot down far enough to even look straight into the sight and see it.

Any ideas? Defective perhaps or am I missing a trick?

So I picked up a Vortex Viper red dot today and put it on my handgun. Uses an included mount for the pinctanny rail but it seems to be too high and off to the left with where the dot is in relation to the "zero". No matter how far I turn the screws to adjust it I cannot get the dot down far enough to even look straight into the sight and see it.

Contact Vortex

No the viper is made for milled slide I had one on my Glock with the rear sight mount not a milled slide and I could not get it to sight in .it sat too high on top of the slide .
If I had a milled slide it would have been lower and would have worked .

Like this Glock_Viper_Front_4__01184.1493959882.1280.1280.jpg

I still have mine like I said if I get my slide milled for it it would work imI sure but all the after market mounts that attached it on top of the slide are to high .I could not adjust the sight enough

I think the Viper has a "lock" screw on the back that locks the adjustments. Loosen the lock screw before and after making windage and elevation adjustments. I could be wrong, but I think I remember it having a lock screw feature....

I'm not sure I understand the question. The Viper is like most red dots in that it has zero parallax. If the dot isn't centered in the window, seems like it is just a matter of moving the site in relation to your eye so it is centered better. Once you actually have sighted it in, shouldn't matter if the dot is centered or just barely visible in the corner, your bullet should hit where the dot is.

Again, maybe I am not understanding so take it for what it is worth. :)

Shoot it first. If you can adjust windage OK, but run out of elevation--you may need
to use a 1 degree shim (UM Tactical, available on Amazon).
I've dealt with Vortex twice, and they have a warranty that is amazing.

Yeah, I have one that is the same way, when it is attached to my TP9SFX, with the milled slide, it is perfectly centered, but when I put the picatinny mount on, and install it on my S&W Victory 22, it is off center, where the iron sights actually line up with the lock screw on the right side of the sight. Doesn't seem to affect how it operates, but my OCD won't let me use it on that gun anymore lol, it's that far off. I tried my friends Viper, and it was exactly the same.
677616m4_ts.jpg

Except for a 22 pistol, I would never use a Vortex red dot on a defensive pistol. Trijicon and Leupold are the only small red dots I trust. I also have Sig dots on a couple competition pistols. Aimpoint has a new one out that might prove to be good.

But I would never mill a slide for a Vortex red dot!

On the other hand, the included picatinny mount on my Vortex Venom (Is it the same mount for the Viper?) is super low! I haven't seen any picatinny mount made for any RMR or DeltaPoint or Romeo that is as low as the included Vortex mount. IF...you're using the picatinny mount.

The placement of the dot also has a lot to do with which eye is dominate. If you are right handed and left eye dominate it will appear right in the screen. Vice versa for left hand right eye. While the dots have zero parallax some have bad glass that gives parallax on the edges. Also if you have a stigmatizism the dot can do funny things.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top