Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Voice your helpful opinions on my minor Mossburg 500 build

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by BigCat, Oct 8, 2014.

1. BigCat

BigCat Portland Member

I recently aquired a Mossburg 500 and would like to make it an optimal home defense weapon.
    I was hoping to hear people's personal setups and personal opinions.

2. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

For HD, perhaps just a light.

As much as folks detest the idea of the "uncomfortable" pistol grip (no stock) shotgun, for HD a stock can be fairly clumsy.

However, I do have a pistol grip (with stock) and I feel it to be more comfortable than a traditional style stock.

That being said I'd opt for a pistol instead, but a nice shotgun with a decent light and a decent mount would be ideal for extreme defensive situations.

IMHO, Leave the side saddle and heatshield for 3 gun competitors and tacticool operators it's just unneeded extra junk that'll snag and weigh you down.
    I've played with all that stuff, none of it ever really held up
    (the accessories, aside from a light mount)

3. BigCat

BigCat Portland Member

I have HD pistols also, I just want to have fun with a shotgun. Front light is aquired. I'm torn about the pistol grip at the moment. Options on upgraded sights?

4. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

loaded shotguns are heavy enough without extra gear

5. BigCat

BigCat Portland Member

I'm hella big and strong tho.

6. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Put a Hi-viz fiberoptic sight behind the bead. Attach a quick on/off flashlight to the magtube. Add a shell carrier to the stock or side.

7. ZA_Survivalist

Being 6'6 and 350 I know what you're saying.
    A pistol grip (no stock) shotgun makes sense for bigger folks because the felt recoil isn't as noticeable as it would be for a smaller indevidual.

As stated before I'd also opt for the PG (no stock) for HD. But what I didn't mention is that a full length longarm inside of a home is awful cumbersome. The (no stock) PG shotgun (IMO) is ideal when you're on the couch or inside the home before bed, after that I generally just have my pistol by our bedside.

Many of the armed B&E's I've seen have been day/evening and with more than one perp, it would only be logical to have a primary (longarm) during those key hours and transition to a pistol after.

8. BigCat

BigCat Portland Member

Dang, I'm 6'6" but only 225 :(

I like the idea of keeping the 500 simple.

9. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a Mossy 500 (duck gun) that I cut the barrel to 18.5" and added a big, fluorescent front sight and an elastic six rnd buttstock ammo sock. That's all i did with it. This was my moms HD weapon until she turned 87 and handed it back to me! I'm fond of it and it's very reliable, not all that heavy.
    Now I also have an 870 that is tricked out with an extended magazine, marine stocks, light clamp, etc. Now that's a heavy gun! To my mind they have slightly different purposes, 500 confront burglars, 870 all out pile them up at the point of entry! It's war! So don't add too much stuff to that Mossberg, it's light and handy!

10. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

Mine has the 18.5" tactical barrel, I mounted a picatinny rail on top and mounted a laser up there, and a flashlight below. Red dot in the middle of the strobing light, pretty hard to miss. Fwiw, I prefer a stock over a pistol grip too. Really easy to navigate the hall and the stairway with.

11. ZA_Survivalist

Virtual forum High five brother!
    Knowing A fellow giant is always nice.

12. BigCat

BigCat Portland Member

Tall club represent.

13. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

Oversized safety and a tritium big dot.....

Spend your money on ammo and train/practice often with it.

14. MikeE

MikeE Portland Well-Known Member

What was the rail you mounted? Want to do the same. Thanks.

15. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

They are available Amazon for about $10 it's just a pic rail, your gun should be drilled and tapped for it. I put a cheap NCStar laser on it so I'm in the rail and the laser about $35, the flashlight came from the Costco tactical 3 pack of 250 lumen flashlights, it goes low, high and strobe. I think it's about $25 for the three lights. The gun came with 2 barrels, so I used the barrel clamp to hold the flashlight under the barrel. It's a great little budget home defense shotgun setup.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  16. MikeE

MikeE Portland Well-Known Member

Thanks. I noticed the screws on top of the receiver, which got me thinkin' 'red dot'.

Fast Eddie likes this.
  17. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Here's my bedside daily shottie. Have better shotties for the zombie apocalypse, (FN/SPAS) but this is plenty to deal with a few housebreakers

Mods (in order of what I consider most important)

Loaded with 12 pellet 00 buck (never use birdshot)

Trijicon front tritium bead

Tac Star Side Saddle shell holder

Cheep Tac Star steel flashlight clamp with a thumb activated Inova LED. This is just for target ID before dropping the hammer. Use red Loctite on this

Butler Creek side folder. I have tight halls and door portals and it really helps. When I make it to my barricade position I will quietly extend it

Steel heat shield. Useful if you're facing a zombie attack with multiple reloads :eek: but for most it's just extra weight. Having said that this is a light gun, even fully loaded

a4wml2.jpg

muskoka likes this.
  18. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Magpul stock and forend with a light.

19. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Never invest more than you're willing to loose.:(

Once into the evidence locker = Never seen again.:mad:

muskoka likes this.
  20. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member