JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For HD, perhaps just a light.

As much as folks detest the idea of the "uncomfortable" pistol grip (no stock) shotgun, for HD a stock can be fairly clumsy.

However, I do have a pistol grip (with stock) and I feel it to be more comfortable than a traditional style stock.

That being said I'd opt for a pistol instead, but a nice shotgun with a decent light and a decent mount would be ideal for extreme defensive situations.

IMHO, Leave the side saddle and heatshield for 3 gun competitors and tacticool operators it's just unneeded extra junk that'll snag and weigh you down.
I've played with all that stuff, none of it ever really held up
(the accessories, aside from a light mount)

I have HD pistols also, I just want to have fun with a shotgun. Front light is aquired. I'm torn about the pistol grip at the moment. Options on upgraded sights?

I'm hella big and strong tho.
Being 6'6 and 350 I know what you're saying.
A pistol grip (no stock) shotgun makes sense for bigger folks because the felt recoil isn't as noticeable as it would be for a smaller indevidual.

As stated before I'd also opt for the PG (no stock) for HD. But what I didn't mention is that a full length longarm inside of a home is awful cumbersome. The (no stock) PG shotgun (IMO) is ideal when you're on the couch or inside the home before bed, after that I generally just have my pistol by our bedside.

Many of the armed B&E's I've seen have been day/evening and with more than one perp, it would only be logical to have a primary (longarm) during those key hours and transition to a pistol after.

I have a Mossy 500 (duck gun) that I cut the barrel to 18.5" and added a big, fluorescent front sight and an elastic six rnd buttstock ammo sock. That's all i did with it. This was my moms HD weapon until she turned 87 and handed it back to me! I'm fond of it and it's very reliable, not all that heavy.
Now I also have an 870 that is tricked out with an extended magazine, marine stocks, light clamp, etc. Now that's a heavy gun! To my mind they have slightly different purposes, 500 confront burglars, 870 all out pile them up at the point of entry! It's war! So don't add too much stuff to that Mossberg, it's light and handy!

Mine has the 18.5" tactical barrel, I mounted a picatinny rail on top and mounted a laser up there, and a flashlight below. Red dot in the middle of the strobing light, pretty hard to miss. Fwiw, I prefer a stock over a pistol grip too. Really easy to navigate the hall and the stairway with.

Mine has the 18.5" tactical barrel, I mounted a picatinny rail on top and mounted a laser up there, and a flashlight below. Red dot in the middle of the strobing light, pretty hard to miss. Fwiw, I prefer a stock over a pistol grip too. Really easy to navigate the hall and the stairway with.
What was the rail you mounted? Want to do the same. Thanks.

What was the rail you mounted? Want to do the same. Thanks.
They are available Amazon for about $10 it's just a pic rail, your gun should be drilled and tapped for it. I put a cheap NCStar laser on it so I'm in the rail and the laser about $35, the flashlight came from the Costco tactical 3 pack of 250 lumen flashlights, it goes low, high and strobe. I think it's about $25 for the three lights. The gun came with 2 barrels, so I used the barrel clamp to hold the flashlight under the barrel. It's a great little budget home defense shotgun setup.

Here's my bedside daily shottie. Have better shotties for the zombie apocalypse, (FN/SPAS) but this is plenty to deal with a few housebreakers

Mods (in order of what I consider most important)

Loaded with 12 pellet 00 buck (never use birdshot)

Trijicon front tritium bead

Tac Star Side Saddle shell holder

Cheep Tac Star steel flashlight clamp with a thumb activated Inova LED. This is just for target ID before dropping the hammer. Use red Loctite on this

Butler Creek side folder. I have tight halls and door portals and it really helps. When I make it to my barricade position I will quietly extend it

Steel heat shield. Useful if you're facing a zombie attack with multiple reloads :eek: but for most it's just extra weight. Having said that this is a light gun, even fully loaded

a4wml2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads