JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:) So much to say but just too lazy to type it out.

If I wanted to start a new shooter out with a 22lr that didn't have a lot of money then it would be a bolt action Marlin or Mossberg. You will learn to run a gun without burning up ammo real fast like a semi auto does and the bolt action 22lr is the foundation for hunting rifles in centerfire caliber.

Learn to walk before you start running...if that makes sense to you.:s0093:

Welcome to the forum!

As others have said, this isn't exactly a buyer's market right now. Supply is short and prices are high. You may set your sights on a pistol and then either compromise or wait months for it.

I would actually encourage you to hold off buying. Your friends won't care if you shoot their weapons, especially if you offer to help clean. And especially if you throw them some ammo money.

Hold off buying until you've had a chance to shoot a bit. Get your feet wet with a few calibers and weapons so that you can start to make a more informed decision.

If you want to get out shooting, more than happy to take you to Tri-County to test out some guns - just shoot me a message. Cheers,

As others have said, this isn't exactly a buyer's market right now. Supply is short and prices are high.
I would agree, particularly on maybe shooting a bit more. Gun prices, particularly for some 22lr pistols, have started to normalize a little bit. THe higher end stuff, like the S&W 41 I mentioned, don't seem to have gone up a lot. THe Buckmarks seem to be returning to sanity.

Ammo for those is getting lower too.

EX: https://gun.deals/category/hand-guns?caliber=3

I would agree, particularly on maybe shooting a bit more. Gun prices, particularly for some 22lr pistols, have started to normalize a little bit. THe higher end stuff, like the S&W 41 I mentioned, don't seem to have gone up a lot. THe Buckmarks seem to be returning to sanity.

Ammo for those is getting lower too.

EX: https://gun.deals/category/hand-guns?caliber=3
I've been trying to find a TX22 Competition for about 3 weeks now...am awaiting a long search. But, I did just snag a regular TX22 from Sportsman's for $260. Sales are still through the roof but it is good to see some things trend back to normality.

Hello and welcome.

All good advice so far.

Then only thing I would ad is - if, as you say, you are interested in carrying for self-defense - take some time and spend some money to learn about self-defense law. I am continually amazed at how little most licensed concealed carriers know about the law and how prevelant misconceptions are in the carrying community. I was very uninformed for a couple of decades and if I had had to act on my knowledge to defend myself, I would have been in prison.

That is no longer the case.

There are some credible educational options out there. Check out Andrew Branca (an attorney and self-defense expert). Best training $$ I ever spent.

Good shooting.
Excellent advice. I suggest his book to anyone that is interested in self defense

I'm doing a bunch of research currently found this forum, which I'm hoping to use to learn about current waiting lists, availability at retailers, other firearm-purchasing rules, and potentially buying a second-hand gun since availability seems to be a problem for certain makes/models. Also just looking to see if I can learn any tips from y'all's experiences.
Here is a low cost .22lr 1911 for $250. Not a bad starter.

Training, training and more training.
having no experience can be a good thing. Because it's harder to un-learn bad habits than learn good ones.
get the right equipment based off of your needs and budget.
then seek the best available training.
remember that a good shooter can be safe with any firearm.
A poorly trained shooter is ineffective and unsafe with all firearms

Hello all!

A friend has piqued my interest shooting some cans this summer, so I thought I should finally get a gun to avoid dirtying his equipment and using up expensive ammo haha. Looking to get a decent handgun (potentially rifle but I'm concerned about storage/size) that probably uses .22LRs since they're cheaper to fire and seem to be better for shooting at a longer distance (compared to 9mm at least).

I'm doing a bunch of research currently found this forum, which I'm hoping to use to learn about current waiting lists, availability at retailers, other firearm-purchasing rules, and potentially buying a second-hand gun since availability seems to be a problem for certain makes/models. Also just looking to see if I can learn any tips from y'all's experiences.

I'm really quite new to guns in general (hence the virgin) and have never gone shooting before. Looking forward to learn, and thanks in advance for your posts here!
This post screams Ruger 10/22.

I think you are on the right track and a .22 is a good place to start but get something halfway decent and not a jamomatic. All the other suggestions will come into play over time as your hobby and interest grow so don't overwhelm yourself right at the get-go but do spend some time learning about safety, laws and ways to shoot better. It's great you have a friend who shoots and it's great that you are getting your own. I used to be the guy with the guns taking friends out to shoot paying for ammo and cleaning the guns up afterwards but they all own guns of their own now and their own ammo thank goodness. And it's good you are coming here with questions and getting answers to sift through to find the answers that best suit your current level of interest.

Oh, and do share your garlic noodle recipe. It's funny I used to hate peas until I informed one of my hunting buddies that he had to take a turn cooking dinner one night and he brought peas and I was thinking ugh but he mixed them with garlic and butter and it was so good.

Last Edited:
Ruger Mark IV (22LR pistol)
or
Ruger 10/22 (22LR rifle)

I have a Smith Model 41 and a Ruger Mk III bull barrel.
They're great, but my recommended two above are better for a NFG.
I'd second this combo. They won't break the bank and are both capable of shooting the "X" out of the target, provided you do your part.

I can't tell you how many rounds my Ruger 22/45 has through it and has always functioned flawlessly. Even when going thousands of rounds between detailed cleanings, it's never missed a beat.

And welcome to the greatest firearms forum on the interwebs...

Welcome from the gun-totin' old broad contingent.

In .22 rifles I would recommend a Ruger 10/22. Or a 10/22 Takedown if you would like to be able to put it inside a backpack or suitcase. I think a .22 rifle is ideal to learn on. If you do hiking or camping that takes you where you can plink or hunt small game for the pot, check out the Ruger 10/22 Backpacker. It has a barrel already threaded for a suppressor, among other virtues. It weighs 4.2 lbs. The 10/22 is a semi auto and can take Ruger's 25 rd 10/22 mags as well as the standard 10.

There's a pinned thread "New Owner Common Mistakes" in the NWFA General Firearm sub forum that will likely be invaluable. The basic handful of safety rules are everywhere. But there are lots more things that apply to certain guns or situations that are not so easy to find. And plenty of mistakes you can make that don't involve safety.

Also...

Trashnoland.org is hosting a clean up in Mt Hood National Forest this month. It is an amazing way to be part of the shooting community. The folks at these events are genuine people and after the clean up there tends to be a bunch of folks safely recreationally shooting. The folks at these events tend to enjoy letting new shooters "have at it" with a galore of different types of firearms. It might be a good way to get some introductions to different types of firearms, safety protocols, and a great way to spend a day.

That's good news! Here is to hoping the Dead Air fun tube comes in in a decent time.
I'll keep my toes crossed. In the meantime, my plan was to flip the TX22 on GunBroker for as much as I can get and then snatch a Comp model...but I just noticed that Taurus is selling Comp slides (currently out of stock) for $199 - so my total investment would be the MSRP of the Comp model.

I do believe I'll go shoot that TX22 now...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top