JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The magnetospeed can be had for a decent price. They have different versions with different bells and whistles, but the base model is still just as accurate.

Might look into it down the road.
After reading up on chronographs, I sold my Chrony still new in the box and got a Magnetospeed.

The magnetospeed can be had for a decent price. They have different versions with different bells and whistles, but the base model is still just as accurate.

Might look into it down the road.
After reading up on chronographs, I sold my Chrony still new in the box and got a Magnetospeed.
Chrony not Caldwells?
The very first chronograph I ever used I borrowed from a friend was an old Chrony model. Its velocities on the same lot of factory ammo was about 200fps different than on my new Caldwell chronograph. Ive always been suspicious of optical chronographs since....
I have a magnetospeed bookmarked but I'm just overwhelmed with affording other shooting and gun projects right now. It seems there is no end to gun projects and I don't even have a large collection.

Speaking of budget, is this "poor mans" method of annealing worth doing? Ive been thinking of adding annealing to my process but like a new chronograph I cant afford a real annealer right now...

Chrony not Caldwells?
The very first chronograph I ever used I borrowed from a friend was an old Chrony model. Its velocities on the same lot of factory ammo was about 200fps different than on my new Caldwell chronograph. Ive always been suspicious of optical chronographs since....
I have a magnetospeed bookmarked but I'm just overwhelmed with affording other shooting and gun projects right now. It seems there is no end to gun projects and I don't even have a large collection.

Speaking of budget, is this "poor mans" method of annealing worth doing? Ive been thinking of adding annealing to my process but like a new chronograph I cant afford a real annealer right now...

I don't trust any of the optical chronos personally. That's just me though.

I'd personally not trust that method of annealing. Again, just me.

How do you know the velocities? Same chrono? Fresh charge? Zeroed out or self-checked? Fresh charge/batteries? Facing the same direction?
Same altitude?
Everything's the same down to the exact location. Although I havent been recording humidity but the weather hasn't really changed much between sessions....

I havent been recording humidity
While atmospheric humidity when firing is a factor in ballistic trajectory, it does not effect muzzle velocity. My earlier comments about humidity (and the linked article) are about humidity in the powder itself. If you open you powder bottle when the humidity is 80% and leave it long enough, the powder will take on moisture. Opposite if it's exposed to very dry air. The humidity in the powder can effect velocity. Take a quick scan at the tables in that article to see how much.

That said, it sounds like your chronograph is the more likely culprit here.

While atmospheric humidity when firing is a factor in ballistic trajectory, it does not effect muzzle velocity. My earlier comments about humidity (and the linked article) are about humidity in the powder itself. If you open you powder bottle when the humidity is 80% and leave it long enough, the powder will take on moisture. Opposite if it's exposed to very dry air. The humidity in the powder can effect velocity. Take a quick scan at the tables in that article to see how much.

That said, it sounds like your chronograph is the more likely culprit here.
Ever since I spilled some i now pour a small amount into a small cup so the cap is most always sealed on the container.

I suspect my cheap chronograph, not certain how to test its accuracy yet...
It will be a while but will look into upgrading. For now im stuck with it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top