JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@KKG I am not in agreement with you on this one.

In NV, a particular judge was notorious for granting caretaker rights against the elderly - no hearing, no notice - just the staff showing up and dragging the person(s) out. Have collectibles, photos, not no more.

That one got shut down, but a lot of people were hurt.

Same can happen.

Process does not need a Judge - the Process needs Due Process.

How the Elderly Lose Their Rights

"determined by a judge to be an extreme risk to themselves or others."

As Joy Behar said - Sure sign of mental illness.
'The View' Host Joy Behar Mocks VP Mike Pence's Christian Faith As "Mental Illness"
(wonder if she'll say Oprah is mental -- Oprah will run for president if God tells her to)

"The bill would allow a family court judge to order a person to relinquish firearms"
Family court does not work on the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

How is taking a persons property going to help them? How will they get them back? Could the Sheriff accidentally destroy them?
Do you need $$$ to hire a lawyer? How do you answer the question "ever been convicted of ... " ?

I get it is feel good. I don't like it, not one bit.

RacInOR: I'll agree there are some Very Bad folks sitting on the Bench but they are the ones respondible for Due Process. Unless you don't think such things should be addressed, then just Who do you think should be making those decisions?

As long as they keep the Judge involved, I think it's good.

It is a start towards due process, but not enough IMO. It still means (without reading the law or the article) that one person makes the judgement call, and you can get an anti-gun judge that thinks no one should have guns.

There are a lot of anti-gun people out there that think that all gun owners are a danger to others and themselves. This is a step in that direction IMO.

I do agree that there should maybe be something along these lines, but it should be something with a LOT of protections for the rights of the individual, which we are losing every day.

A judge can do that now without changing laws. Right now we have a situation of convenience over everything. If a judge approves it and from what I've seen this can be done after hours on the phone, why do we need a new law instead of enforcing what we have?

A judge can do that now without changing laws. Right now we have a situation of convenience over everything. If a judge approves it and from what I've seen this can be done after hours on the phone, why do we need a new law instead of enforcing what we have?

It depends on the state laws.

Last night I was listening to NPR interview a FL judge who said the judges there can prevent someone from buying a gun, but cannot take away a gun that they legally own (the scenario was exactly what we are talking about here - not felons or someone who illegally owns guns or who has committed a crime).

Like the Oregon and Washington laws, I think that if someone accuses you, then you get notified -served a warrant - then you show in court and evidence is presented as to the "why" you should be disarmed. And you get to defend yourself.

Family Court is a special kind of hell, as anyone who has gone thru a custody fight will tell you.

A lot of "he said, she said" ... Say to your girl friend " I am going to beat your a$$" or "You're dead to me"
What's the context? It may have been over a Monopoly game.

The whole thing is bothersome to me.

@KKG
In NV, a particular judge was notorious for granting caretaker rights against the elderly - no hearing, no notice - just the staff showing up and dragging the person(s) out. Have collectibles, photos, not no more.

That one got shut down, but a lot of people were hurt.

How the Elderly Lose Their Rights

I couldn't finish reading this, it's just too sad. I can relate because my neighbors in their late 70s needed some assistance... their daughter and grandaughter got tired of helping them each day. Got them to sign a blanket Power of Attorney... then forced them out of the house, sold all heir belongings and properties (multiple, estate worth about $2M), took all their cash, moved them into assisted living. Then the daughter bought a big big house and now they all live there, where these good folks are under lock and key, not allowed to drive, can only do things with permission, and say that they have 6 "bosses" there. He had been a very successful contractor and commercial fisherman, and she a sharp schoolteacher. She's still sharp. We see them when the daughter drops them off at the Senior Center to have lunch. Very sad.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top