JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lucky that the Fitzgerald wasn't cut in half.
With the bulbous bow on a large cargo ship, it must have been a glancing blow.

Jorung203.jpg

Jorung203.jpg
From the picture 's I saw of the cargo ship it was a somewhat glancing hit but the cargo ship was 700 foot long your right lucky it didn't break it in half or role it over

I'm not sure about the years but about 17 year's ago my sister 's husband 's dad and his deck hand where sleeping on there boat about 8 miles off the coast Oregon when a crab boat hit them and sank there boat they had bout 3 min to get off before it sank the crab boat was not much bigger than there's but it was steel and my sister 's father in-laws was wood almost cut in half

It baffles me (no pun intended) how, in this day and age, that collision could have happened. Hope they find those guys!
There saying on News that the cargo ship was on way into port and for some reason just turned around still don't know why

Boat or ship accident 's are bad because there is not much give the water creates a push against what's being pushed so you get a slow crushing thing that bends steel and breaks wood even a so called fender bender on a boat has lots of damages

I entirely forgot about the freighters bow. Since most modern freighter type hulls do have bulbous bows, I for one can not imagine the sort of underwater damage our destroyer took. Yep ... amazing at that speed our ship was not cut in half. Prayers for the injured and missing.

Yep I have worked on ship's that had a bulbes bow and some that didn't that is solid steal so I'm sure there is under the water line damages and then the damages to the above water line or freeboard was massive

Another thing is lots of people think those big ship's are slow mm mm they move fast some are real fast for how big they are

Old urban legend:

A- Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

B- Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision

A- This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

B- No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.

A- THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH–I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH–OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

B- This is a lighthouse.....Your call.

Reports were that tje Fitsgearld was running electronic dark, I.e. no radar or other electronica that would have dected the freighter, still, good old fashioned mk- 1 Eyeballs failed at avoiding this and 7 sailors pairs with there lives!

Jorung203.jpg

From the picture 's I saw of the cargo ship it was a somewhat glancing hit but the cargo ship was 700 foot long your right lucky it didn't break it in half or role it over

Not even close to a glancing blow, check out this article with amazing graphics, I would say they were very lucky that ship didn't sink to the bottom.

The Inside Story of an American Warship Doomed by Its Own Navy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top