JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello folks! I was touring a local pawn shop today and saw a used, blued, Wather PPK priced at $399. It definitely was a shooter (a little worn), and not a safe queen. Im not well versed in the PPK, but I immediately thought it was way under-priced right? My little kids were with me so I didnt have a chance to handle it. I don't think it was a S&W build, and it looked about least 30-70 years old. Grips were aftermarket target grips.

My questions are:
-Should I pick it up? I have a Polish P64 so I am roughly familiar with the PPK action/take down.

-$399 is a killer deal right? I think they priced it off of a quick search at 22lr models. This is a 380acp.

-Im guessing I really need to know more about proof marks and dates that would be good to look for.

-I like guns that are all steel, and go up in value as time goes on. The PPK would satisfy those. I also prefer small pocket carry for when I CC, and it would fit right in with my P64 and J frame.

Im heading back tomorrow morning to actually handle it. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

I'd buy it, if it's functional and good to go, why not? Lol Mine (a PPK/S model) is a West German made one, imported by Interarms. Made in 1977. Great guns.

20220304_174519.jpg

Last Edited:
Yeah, do it.
A buddy has a (west) German ppk that feeds and extracts 100% I've fired it myself.
Factory magazines may be hard to come by, not sure if S&W mag will fit or not.
Wouldn't buy it if the ppk is a S&W though.

My preferences would be a PPK or a PP in that order , that said the bastard child PPK/S spawned by the 1968 gun act points system would still be a good buy at that price, especially being an import version.

Hello folks! I was touring a local pawn shop today and saw a used, blued, Wather PPK priced at $399. It definitely was a shooter (a little worn), and not a safe queen. Im not well versed in the PPK, but I immediately thought it was way under-priced right? My little kids were with me so I didnt have a chance to handle it. I don't think it was a S&W build, and it looked about least 30-70 years old. Grips were aftermarket target grips.

My questions are:
-Should I pick it up? I have a Polish P64 so I am roughly familiar with the PPK action/take down.

-$399 is a killer deal right? I think they priced it off of a quick search at 22lr models. This is a 380acp.

-Im guessing I really need to know more about proof marks and dates that would be good to look for.

-I like guns that are all steel, and go up in value as time goes on. The PPK would satisfy those. I also prefer small pocket carry for when I CC, and it would fit right in with my P64 and J frame.

Im heading back tomorrow morning to actually handle it. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
It's only a good deal if it shoots without malfunctioning. If you will need to take it to a gunsmith it's not a good deal. If you need to use very specific ammo to function reliably it may or may not be a good deal depending on your preferences. If it's well maintained and looks close to new I would be more comfortable than if it looks like it hasn't been maintained. Been burned early on when I was a kid by guns that weren't maintained or really well cared for. Now the only used gun I would buy is if really well maintained and probably if I could talk to the owner who had it most all it's life that would make a difference. I would rather pay more for a gun that was really well maintained. I use same philosophy for cars too.

Last Edited:

My questions are:

If you get the PPK you get the right to introduce yourself as "Thomes, TNThomas..." along with your own theme music evoking danger and intrigue each time. The downside is that all the beautiful women you meet are either trying to set you up of kill you.

Last Edited:
If you buy this, there Are a few nuances u need to know…
1. no slide release button. Learn the gun.
2. DA trigger is very heavy... No need for safety lever when decocked - too stiff to release in a draw. Fine for decocking gun.
3. The slide will cut the shyt out of your hand if you ride it high and not push down with your thumb on your third fingers' distal joint when firing.
4. They are addictive. You will own a PPK, PP, and PPK/S in the future.
5. if you reload your own ammo, be sure to seat to a COAL that fits your magazine… with older PPKs, it tends to be a lot shorter than many other 380's.

-1970 Made in West Germany, matching numbers from what I could tell, and in good enough condition, not bad, not excellent, but definitely worth $399. Interarms rollmark on the right side, PPK/S, 1 Walther mag, 380acp, pretty decent thick wood target grips with a finger rest. I decided to pass on it. Fantastic little gun, but I hand cast and reload all my own ammo, and 380acp just doesn't have the same flare that revolvers calibers do for me. Im saving up for a mill and building a go kart for my kids so that money will be use elswhere :)

Thanks for the info folks!

Gun is at the Tulalip Cabelas in the gun room if any of you folks are interested.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top