JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone -

Wife and I (and our griff) are looking to go out for some chukar/quail again and are wondering if there are any areas we should check out? Not looking for exact locations, just a ballpark area. I am more than okay with doing my own exploring/legwork.

We went to this place a few weeks back: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/maps/wildlife_areas/lower_deschutes_features_ownership.pdf

Kicked up a couple coveys but found out on our way out that the (unmarked) road off of Gordon Ridge road we used to access the BLM land is private (according to a not-so-nice guy who lives nearby). No interest in going back there now.

Last Edited:
Go way up the Clack. Above Shellrock Creek there are dozens of roads, many unmaintained and turning back to nature. Walk these roads. I am finding more quail up there than the old days. And grouse can be absolutely anywhere up there, mostly ruffed, but some blues.

And if you're young enough to hunt chukar, the slides on the Deschutes are a bit more than an hour away.

Drove out to the East bank of the Deschutes with the Mrs. this past weekend trying to find some chukar - no luck. There were a few sections that looked like they could be promising way up the mountain, but to access the BLM land meant rock climbing up a cliff 20-30ft from the road.

Seems to me that guy just didn't want anyone hunting that area, since it clearly marks on the map that there is public access there. You could call BLM and ask them how to access these areas via road, for reassurance. I suppose a locked gate would help.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top