JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a place to go bird hunting, just about any kind of upland. Anyone know of any locations that are decent in the Sweet Home/Lebanon/Albany area (or somewhere around there)? Preferably a free to hunt locale, like public lands. I don't have a dog, just walking in solo or with a partner. I've only done it once in Eastern Oregon years ago, and would like to try it some more.

I've found the trick to hunting birds without a dog was to walk slow and quiet, stopping often. Makes the birds hold, get nervous, and flush. Of course a keen eye and a willingness to ground sluice helps. EE Wilson was a CF the last time I went. Nasty blackberries the size of train cars... Everywhere. Now I have 3 Brittanies and don't hunt EE.

I've found the trick to hunting birds without a dog was to walk slow and quiet, stopping often. Makes the birds hold, get nervous, and flush.

In my experience pheasants would flush after I had walked an entire field and then stopped to take a leak. :mad:

Also, that hunting w/o one of my german shorthairs was more a problem of retrieving them after the shot. So many birds hit the ground running and then bury themselves somewhere that you won't find them w/o a dog.:(

My Uncle has a wheat farm in Kansas now that is great pheasant hunting. If you time it right you can go deer hunting at the same time. Not much help for ya but it just brought back memories. :)

Might take a trip out the Columbia Gorge to the Boardman area! There are three diffrent areas that get a lot of birds "Planted" and two of them do not require any advance "permission" Coyote Springs has always been a great spot and doesn't get much pressure during the deer season! Lost birds are going to be rough on ya with out a Dog, Might start thinking about getting one if you can! Besides, who wouldn't want a good gun dog? I vote LAB, best all round hearty breed and great with family!

Head east into the National Forest. Find a dirt or gravel road. Get out and walk. I'm seeing more and more grouse and quail, everywhere, than I even used to see in the olden days. Be careful not to shoot from a legal road. Many of the old logging roads are barricaded or otherwise grown over, and are no longer considered legal roads.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
Head east into the National Forest. Find a dirt or gravel road. Get out and walk. I'm seeing more and more grouse and quail, everywhere, than I even used to see in the olden days. Be careful not to shoot from a legal road. Many of the old logging roads are barricaded or otherwise grown over, and are no longer considered legal roads.

WAYNO.
I walk these roads deer hunting and have only once seen a grouse. I just don't have the luck.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top