JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So Gang, here I am purchasing upgrades for the Dillon 650 XL I still do not have in my possession. LOL I have bought the powder check system, the roller cam follower and the roto-cam actuator. Yep, safety to be had with the powder check system and non-lubricated moving parts with the other two. Sounds like progress to me. Anyone else running these upgrade parts and what is your experience with them? I watched the Dillon utube vid about lubricating the press and it was like, "Ye gads!" that's a whole lotta grease. Thanks.

I consider the powder check an essential.

Unsure what the other 2 are; either I've never heard of them or they were called something else. Please advise on what their function is.

I have the roller handle on my xl 650 I like it but that's how it came when I got it used so I don't know how the stock one feels. I use the powder check system when loading all calibers. Haven't used the light though I would like to know how well they work if someone has one and what one they own

the light though I would like to know how well they work if someone has one and what one they own
I use the 'Inline' product, both the initial design years ago that had sticky tape for frame mounted light strip (not so good), as well as the revised 'bulb in tool head center hole', which is superior.

Well worth the cost IMHO.

I use the 'Inline' product, both the initial design years ago that had sticky tape for frame mounted light strip (not so good), as well as the revised 'bulb in tool head center hole', which is superior.

Well worth the cost IMHO.
Good info might have to look into it. Thanks for in input

I am guessing that light will not be a big problem in my future reloading den. Been in there already a couple of three times and there was plenty of light. Prolly more interested that the Dillon runs smoothly. I don't like the idea of powder getting all over the place during reloading. Although, with 45acp at 5.1 grains it might not be a problem. The powder load sits fairly low in the brass. Both of the roller bearing items I purchased are to insure smoothness but without the grease. I'll save that for my hamburgers. LOL
I do like the idea of a roller handle however. Although until I spend some quality time with Dillon I will not know for sure. Seems like every reloading press I have ever owned had the ball type of handle.

My 450 in 1979 then the 550 came with a ball handle circa 1982ish. When I upgraded to 650 20 years later, it came with a horizontal non-rotating grip that seemed nice. At first. I thought that was 'normal'. Then a buddy showed how HIS ran as the rotating grip worked. Way more control & comfort. We can get used to nearly anything. I thought a light wasn't really necessary, but have come to like it.

What I didn't like about the 650 was the wretched little spent primer bucket on the frame. A machinist buddy turned down a brass funnel gizmo to fill in the hole, & I revamped the bracket that held something else on down there. Now I have a long tube running into a never-overflow scrap bucket & accumulate enough for turning back into $ now & then.

After a few years with the flat-needle bearing gizmo to easy rotation of the shell plate, & growing annoyance with the stage 5 wire deflector guide into the reloaded tray, jumping out of the locator hole in the ram mounting plate. Returned to the OEM no-bearing set up to advantages I had overlooked before.

It turned out my spring-loaded shell plate ball bearing locator would smack too sharply into the shell plate hole, making power jump wildly at times. Rotation was smoother but the stop phase induced a shock sometimes enough to bump the primer cup contents sideways.

Keep you eyes open & recognize that is abnormal.

Good luck. Becoming a 650 operator at production speed is somewhat like playing a pipe organ.

Last Edited:
I hear you. Thanks for the feedback. My working plan is to learn from others and try to pre-retrofit proven upgrades before I get shocked in the middle of a reloading session ... like I did more than once with my Loadmaster. What messes it would make! I eventually learned to the point I could load relatively fubar free. Can I tell you how much I dislike fubars? Trying to avoid those with the Dillon system when I get to use it. I really liked your playing an [old] organ analogy. I remember those days and the ciphers too. LOL

The Dillon design is near perfect for my use; the Dillon tech support IS perfect; get to recognize each little sound the press makes during operation & you'll be able to adjust before there's much of a problem. Don't jam anything & recognize how easy it really is when all is working as designed/as built.

What kind of scale are you using, by the way?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top