JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw the below auctions and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this type of land.

From what little research I have done, it seems there are some obvious pros & cons:

Pro #1 - You can look for gold, you might even find some
#2 - you can develop the land somewhat, as long as the development supports your mining operation. You can clear an area for a campground or RV, maybe a cabin(?) you can bring in equipment for mining. Obviously need more information here.
#3 - Low cost - Mineral rights 160 acres for under $10,000 with $140/year to maintain the claim.

Con#1 - You don't own the land, just the mineral rights. Other people can use the land for recreation
#2 - Remote, may be difficult to get to in SHTF situations.

Question #1 - How active does your mining operation have to be?
#2 - Can I build a cabin to sleep in and store mining tools?
#3 - Basically, if I buy the claim and camp at it 1 weekend a month or a couple weeks a year and make sure to pan a little each day, can I hold on to the claim long-term?

I've thought about this over the years especially when the gold value goes up. Let us know what you find out.

Manufactured homes aren't too bad if you pick one of the better brands although they do depreciate fast. Used ones are dirt cheap.

Since you don't own the land, just the mineral rights, who owns the land? Is it federal land, state land or private land? What are their laws or requirements on structures, permanent of otherwise. Sure if SHTF, it won't really matter, but even if that happens what claim to the land or mineral rights are you going to have?

FWIW, it's not cheap land....it really isn't even land.

When purchasing an unpatented mining claim you are purchasing the mineral rights, not the actual land. Along with the mineral rights comes the right to use as much of the surface as needed for your mining operation and you also have the right to stay on your claim while you are mining or just out there prospecting. Don't let anyone tell you that you own the land on any unpatented mining claim because you don't.

Since you don't own the land, just the mineral rights, who owns the land? Is it federal land, state land or private land? What are their laws or requirements on structures, permanent of otherwise. Sure if SHTF, it won't really matter, but even if that happens what claim to the land or mineral rights are you going to have?

FWIW, it's not cheap land....it really isn't even land.

This was what I wondered, I didn't think he would own tthe land only the "rights" to mine it, which I would sure look into, could end up being a dicey deal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top