1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Unpatented mining claim = cheap land?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by huthuthike, Sep 19, 2011.

1. huthuthike

huthuthike Hillsboro OR Active Member

I saw the below auctions and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this type of land.

From what little research I have done, it seems there are some obvious pros & cons:

Pro #1 - You can look for gold, you might even find some
    #2 - you can develop the land somewhat, as long as the development supports your mining operation. You can clear an area for a campground or RV, maybe a cabin(?) you can bring in equipment for mining. Obviously need more information here.
    #3 - Low cost - Mineral rights 160 acres for under $10,000 with $140/year to maintain the claim.

Con#1 - You don't own the land, just the mineral rights. Other people can use the land for recreation
    #2 - Remote, may be difficult to get to in SHTF situations.

Question #1 - How active does your mining operation have to be?
    #2 - Can I build a cabin to sleep in and store mining tools?
    #3 - Basically, if I buy the claim and camp at it 1 weekend a month or a couple weeks a year and make sure to pan a little each day, can I hold on to the claim long-term?
  2. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

I would talk to someone in one of the Mining clubs here in town. Or call DK Nuggets out in SE portland, They will be able to tell you (or at least point you in the right direction.
  3. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

I've thought about this over the years especially when the gold value goes up. Let us know what you find out.

Manufactured homes aren't too bad if you pick one of the better brands although they do depreciate fast. Used ones are dirt cheap.
  4. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Since you don't own the land, just the mineral rights, who owns the land? Is it federal land, state land or private land? What are their laws or requirements on structures, permanent of otherwise. Sure if SHTF, it won't really matter, but even if that happens what claim to the land or mineral rights are you going to have?

FWIW, it's not cheap land....it really isn't even land.

NuthinFancy and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Barefoot343

Barefoot343 liberalville Active Member

This was what I wondered, I didn't think he would own tthe land only the "rights" to mine it, which I would sure look into, could end up being a dicey deal.
  6. riverrat373

riverrat373 Washington State Member

Go to D&K Detectors on east division. They are great people and can answer all your questions! :thumbup:

D&K Detector Sales
    13809 SE Division
    Portland, OR