JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another thread got me to thinking about this. There are a few manufacturers I can think of that I've found make a very quality piece, but no one seems to talk about them except, maybe, those that own some of their products.

I've got a few in mind that I'll post shortly. Which would make your list?

Lion heart makes some very nice Sig type pistols. Had a chance to shoot one a while back. Very nice.

Another thread got me to thinking about this. There are a few manufacturers I can think of that I've found make a very quality piece, but no one seems to talk about them except, maybe, those that own some of their products.

I've got a few in mind that I'll post shortly. Which would make your list?

I know this other thread.

All manufacturers put out a lemon from time to time.
Winchester, Colt, Beretta, you name it.

But it is true that these same companies also have amazing guns. Guns that hold there value and last many lifetimes if cared for.
Not to mention they hold or increase there value.

Last Edited:
you pooped today? :s0155:
I'm immune to the weird yet horrible diseases known as elite-itus, taurusmakemepooitus, keltecancerousitus, springfieldsoldoutitus, hipoint (oddly specific name for a disease), rossihemorrhageitus, plasticfantasticous.

I got vaccinated for a few. By means of tens of thousands of rounds of a vaccine called "lead down range".

I'm immune to the weird yet horrible diseases known as elite-itus, taurusmakemepooitus, keltecancerousitus, springfieldsoldoutitus, hipoint (oddly specific name for a disease), rossihemorrhageitus, plasticfantasticous.

I got vaccinated for a few. By means of tens of thousands of rounds of a vaccine called "lead down range".

Ruger, Winchester, Colt. and the other bread and butter guns that the average American has been buying and shooting since the 1800 are not elite

They are solid middle-class guns.

The Lyman Great Plains rifle and the Lyman Trade Rifle.
In .50 or .54 caliber , with the proper load...they are suitable for any game in North America.

Both are excellent shooting and hunting rifles...that are underappreciated / underrated by many of today's shooters and hunters.
Mostly I think because of the idea that round ball and open sights ain't good for hunting.

The same can be said for the Thompson Center "Hawken" and " Renegade" rifle.

It ain't like Kit Carson or Daniel Boone starved to death , using a rifle that shot round ball while using open sights.

Sure this type of rifle has its limitations....but then , so does any rifle....
Take the time to learn your rifle and rifle load...and "problem" solved.

And if round ball don't work for ya....you can shoot a conical bullet out of the T/C Hawken / Renegade and Lyman Trade Rifle....also the Great Plains Rifle can come with a "fast" twist barrel for conical bullets.

Speaking of problems....
The biggest issue I have with all three of these rifles :
The use of coil springs for a main spring , instead of a traditional leaf spring...
The coil spring is cheaper to make...but far less reliable...especially if in a flintlock.
I have found that in older , well used rifles , the coil spring seems to lose its "oomph".

If one buys a used one...it may be wise to get a new replacement lock with a leaf spring ...
( Expensive at $125 or more for a lock )..
Or a replacement coil spring ( Cheaper...but a PITA to install )

Also none of the above are particularly historically correct...No matter what the Sales ad copy states...
But that is a subject for a different thread...:D
Andy

Steyr.

Lionheart: the Lionheart is a slightly revised Daewoo DP51, which is/was a really cool pistol.
They also have the rights to the rifle, which is one of the most underappreciated of the EBRs. I would love to see them re-introduce it.

Quality barrel manufacturers.
People will spend tons of ammo / reloading time money on less expensive barrels trying to make them shoot.

IMHO, a better barrel is a bargain... especially if it is easy to change ( AR's ) , considering ammo costs.

6.5CM ammo can easily cost a buck per round... 330ish rds later would have bought a Criterion barrel for a Large Frame AR.

True and glue it in place, and you can get amazing precision.

image87459844_3053330404687706_5360564947178749952_n.jpg

I flubbed the flier... rookie mistake, just to giddy over the group

Buy a known , reputable barrel and enjoy the improved precision, more productive trigger time training, and less time wondering if "you" missed that shot, or was it the barrel / ammo ?

Seriously... a better barrel is a under rated bargain. And well worth it, just in more productive bench skill training.
Having confidence in your skills is worth every penny spent on one.

Criterion used to be the Budget Line of Krieger Barrels.
They are on their own now, and have learned well from their former parent company.

I have used my 22" 6.5CM AR out to 1200yds ... I am VERY happy with it.

My 18" .308 Crit. also is a great shooter.

Again... I do true ( lap the upper face flat ) and Loctite the RE into the upper . If I can do it ( with my tighter is better, just a little more mentality , Lol ).. anyone can.

For those of you not familiar with this... Here is the series of videos from Criterion.
Criterion Barrels Releases "Accurizing AR-15" Video Series - Criterion Barrels

About the 50 second point, Part 3 video .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top