JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys I just got an AR500 Veritas plate carrier and plates. I'm looking for recommendations on shirts to wear under it that have a little more breathability for long training days on the range.

I like the UnderArmor Tech Wear (Tech Tee's), it holds up very well to abrasion and maintains very good breath ability! there are other brands, but UnderArmor is the one I have had the best results with! :s0155:

:rolleyes::s0108::s0108:Nothing beats a mesh shirt ;) :rolleyes: xvxAyEAxvzxyGuxEvzFFEAyyCACBDFExEFBwQWNs.jpg

I wear an outer armor carrier at work all the time, sometimes all day long outside. When looking "official", I often wear a Vertx Recon Shirt. The sleeves and shoulders are ripstop
and are durable. The torso is moisture wicking material and keeps you cool and dry.

The rest of the year I throw it over a hoodie.

51EA2910-0952-41AD-A274-38A89AE47E83.jpeg

I wear an outer armor carrier at work all the time, sometimes all day long outside. When looking "official", I often wear a Vertx Recon Shirt. The sleeves and shoulders are ripstop
and are durable. The torso is moisture wicking material and keeps you cool and dry.

The rest of the year I throw it over a hoodie.

View attachment 626469
This ^^^
The Combat Shirt was developed for wearing under body armor.

A few brands that come to mind....
Vertx (very good)
Crye Precision (very good, but pricey)
Tru-Spec (my favorite)
Massif (runs small)

Some of the British DPM combat shirts (coffee stain camo) at Sportsman's Guide have CoolMax torsos.
There are two brands of British combat shirts seen in the US surplus stores.
One is funky and one is very good for the money.
SG only has XL left.....they are actually XL Long.
I take the padding out but prone shooters like it.

I believe that this one is made by the same company as the above.

Last Edited:
You can do a poor man's Combat Shirt by getting a decent Underarmor t shirt and a BDU or newer jacket/blouse, cut the sleeves off, find a tailor or do it yourself, and sew the jacket sleeves to the Underarmor Shirt... or the undershirts made by anyone ;)

And you can use the old pieces as a vest! :p

You can do a poor man's Combat Shirt by getting a decent Underarmor t shirt and a BDU or newer jacket/blouse, cut the sleeves off, find a tailor or do it yourself, and sew the jacket sleeves to the Underarmor Shirt... or the undershirts made by anyone ;)

And you can use the old pieces as a vest! :p
Home Depot construction clean-up bags make nice rain coats, too.
Just cut head and arm holes in 'em !

:)

This ^^^
The Combat Shirt was developed for wearing under body armor.

A few brands that come to mind....
Vertx (very good)
Crye Precision (very good, but pricey)
Tru-Spec (my favorite)
Massif (runs small)

Some of the British DPM combat shirts (coffee stain camo) at Sportsman's Guide have CoolMax torsos.
There are two brands of British combat shirts seen in the US surplus stores.
One is funky and one is very good for the money.
SG only has XL left.....they are actually XL Long.
I take the padding out but prone shooters like it.

I believe that this one is made by the same company as the above.

The only thing with Vertx is that it will melt with fire. I believe Crye Precision shirts are melt resistant. But if you're not gonna be on fire, no biggie.

If you want Fire Resistant you're going to have to Pay The Man (read expensive).
Not always ;) Check surplus shops for the USMC FR shirts (aka frog shirt), which also happens to be made to be worn under armor.

Edit. I don't remember if they offered them in regular woodland MARPAT colors, or if it was always the Desert MARPAT colors. Pretty sure the digital woodland versions exists for the Marine Raiders advisors and those used by the Riverine groups

Last Edited:
Not always ;) Check surplus shops for the USMC FR shirts (aka frog shirt), which also happens to be made to be worn under armor.

Edit. I don't remember if they offered them in regular woodland MARPAT colors, or if it was always the Desert MARPAT colors. Pretty sure the digital woodland versions exists for the Marine Raiders advisors and those used by the Riverine groups
If you do an Image Search on "Drifire Combat Shirt" you'll see Crye Precision shirts on the surplus market.
SG had some for around $40 but they're sold out....they were genuine Crye Precision and people found out about them. The article description just said Drifire Combat Shirt.
The retail price for Crye will make your wallet cry.

If you do an Image Search on "Drifire Combat Shirt" you'll see Crye Precision shirts on the surplus market.
SG had some for around $40 but they're sold out....they were genuine Crye Precision and people found out about them. The article description just said Drifire Combat Shirt.
The retail price for Crye will make your wallet cry.

I understand that Crye is expensive, but yoy only said " if you want Fire Resistant, Pay The Man (read expensive)"; not "Fire Resistant Crye" ;) :rolleyes: Was offering options thats more budget minded :p Speaking of which....FR 500D Cordura was cheaper on Ebay from NC than the standard DWR 500d Cordura locally in the same color.... my self-made 2,000 CI MOLLE pack uses the FR Cordura.

I understand that Crye is expensive, but yoy only said " if you want Fire Resistant, Pay The Man (read expensive)"; not "Fire Resistant Crye" ;) :rolleyes: Was offering options thats more budget minded :p Speaking of which....FR 500D Cordura was cheaper on Ebay from NC than the standard DWR 500d Cordura locally in the same color.... my self-made 2,000 CI MOLLE pack uses the FR Cordura.
It's quite fair to say that typically FR combat shirts are far more expensive than their non-FR counterparts.
I'm lucky to have scored a couple of the deeply discounted Crye shirts from SG before they sold out.
Crye retail pricing is off the chain....makes me wonder how bad they scam the gummint.

ETA:
But if that high-priced FR gear keeps one trooper from getting badly burned, I'll pay for it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews